Edc: Which Pens Do You Carry Around?

RubenDh

Hello everybody

Today I would like to start a conversation about EDC systems and which pens you carry everyday.

I'll start:

I have two pen pouches, one with 3 slots and one with 4 slots. Both of them are in brown leather.

In the pouch with 3 slots (which has my last name engraved in the leather) I have the pens which have the 3 'basic colours'/most frequent used colours of ink:

- Red: For the red ink I use Pelikan Edelstein Ruby, in my Parker Sonnet in red lacquer. Fine nib. Lovely pen but rigid nib, in the future I'd like to upgrade this pen to a burgundy sailor pro gear.

- Green: The Diamine Sherwood Green is my favourite green ink. I use it in my Pelikan m400. Great pen but sometime I would upgrade it to an m600.

- Blue: for the blue ink, I prefer dark blue. Montblancs blueblack or Pelikans 4001 blueblack is my ink to go. I use the Montblanc 146 with it. Great pen and great size!

In the pouch with 4 slots I am planning to go with this pens: (note: some of the pens mentioned are yet to buy, but these are the pens I consider getting)

- Brown ink: for this ink (which is the Pelikan 4001 brown, but I am planning to buy any of the other brown/sepia inks) I use my Visconti Opera Elements with a 23k pd dreamtouch nib. Awesome pen with buttery smooth nib.

- Black ink: I'm not sure which pen I am getting for the black ink. Any suggestions?

- A mechanical pencil. I am buying a Pelikan pencil in the lovely brown/green tortoiseshell colours. It should arrive next week, can't wait!

- A demonstrator (not yet which one yet) with a highlighter ink. Not yet which ink I'll choose.

As you can see, I still have to search for some pens/inks, but this (often endless) search for a pen that suits me perfectly is one of the great things in the hobby!

Which pens / pouches do you have?

Ruben

PS: sorry for the bad English, I'm not a native English speaker

Hi Reuben,

No pen pouch; just two pens, kept in my shirt or jacket pocket.

Typically, my Lamy 2K, loaded with either Waterman Inspired Blue; Diamine Asa Blue... or a myriad of other blues.

Second pen is usually a Lamy Logo or Studio; or one of my Pilots or Jinhao's... the second pen varies, but it is ALWAYS loaded with Diamine Matador Red for when I have to make "imperative statements."

- Anthony

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• inkstainedruth

• bemon

• chravagni

I just picked up a Franklin-Christoph Amber pocket 45 XLV for EDC use. So far I am liking the pen. Just wanted something smaller for pocket use.

My M300, inked with Kana-cho Midnight.

I don't take it to work every day (I normally take 2 FPs and a roller and I like to rotate the FPs) but when I go out on my days off, I take it with me now. I've bought more than I few pens that I ended up not using because they were "too nice" (usually vintage pens that appear to have never been used) but decided that there's no point having a nice pen if I wasn't going to use it so I've made this little green-stripe my EDC.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Today is the Momotaro "Peach Boy" Danitrio.

http://www.fototime.com/8C5E950C3E5DF03/medium800.jpg

That is really nice!

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

...but decided that there's no point having a nice pen if I wasn't going to use it so I've made this little green-stripe my EDC.

EXACTLY Chromantic! Enjoy what you have or theres no sense having it. :)

- Anthony

I carry a Nock Brasstown.

It has usually between 2-3 fountain pens. One black, one blue and one inked with whatever color I fancied at the time.

As far as which pens...well....I go through a rotation of the 50 pens i currently own, so to say which ones I carry everyday - you'd have to ask me on that day. As of 24-May-2017, I've got a Bexley Columbus Pen Show 2017(broad) burnt orange inked with Noodler's Habanero, a Lamy 2000(medium) with Iroshizuku take-sumi, and a Karas Kustoms Ink(fine) with J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir.

Since the Brasstown has lots of room, I have a Lamy Pico, Zebra F-301 ballpoint(black) and a Uniball Signo 307(blue) for those times a fountain pen is not going to work or someone wants to borrow a pen.

I've relatively recently been trying to learn how to draw, so I've be keeping some(4-5) of the Sakura Pigma MICRON pens. The art is pen and ink style of nature, landscapes, trees and buildings. Also a mechanical pencil and non-marking Staedtler eraser.

Ask me in about a week which fountain pens I have in there and I'm sure all three will be different.

I usually take one pen with me everywhere I go, which is a green Parker 21 with Sailor Rikyu-cha. My Parker 51 and Eversharp Skyline occasionally make guest appearances.

If I am carrying a second pen, it almost always is my hot pink Pilot Prera filled with Sailor Irori. It's a great combo for editing and highlighting, which I tend to do fairly often.

It varies...but today it was two J Esterbrooks (one a transitional), and a Retro 51, all with blue ink but three brands.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I always go out with a Sheaffer Javelin filled with Noodler's Red/Black ink, and a Dollar pen, the piston fillers from Pakistan, filled with a three ink mixture. The three ink mixture is a 1:1:1 = Pilot 4001 Brilliant Black : Visconti Black : Noodler's Black mix. The Visconti is close to being used up, so that formulation will have to change, probably within the next year or so.

For meetings I carry two Kaweco Sports, that I have in a Kaweco Sport pouch which I carry in my bag when I'm going to meetings. I'm not sure if it's real leather or a plastic made to look that way. Both of the Kaweco Sports are filled with the three ink mixture detailed above.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Currently in my purse:

FC Loom inked with Noodler's HoD

J. Herbin roller inked with Pilot BB

Uniball Vision (boo, but I need it for work and it writes as well as any fountain pen)

Fischer Bullet Space Pen (for those times when you really need a ballpoint, or to write on something greasy.)

I'm thinking of swapping the fine point Loom for an X-Fine Kaweco sport. I love the loom- it's a fantastic writer, but I'd feel more secure with a screw cap and besides that, X-fine might better serve my needs. Also I'm curious about the Kaweco.

As I am travelling this week to Sydney and Melbourne (9+ hour flights) I decided to play safe and take my trusted 146 and my FC 01 in a FC Penelope case.

Both behaved impeccably during the first leg from HK to Sydney, and hopefully will do the same on the flight to Melbourne tomorrow, and the flight home on Saturday. Previously took my Parker 51 and Parker Vacumatic travelling with not so good results, so think these two will be my travellers and will add the Parkers my home based pen wrap with these.

• 1 year later...

I am currently carrying:

• A 30s Parker Duofold with J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir (very thin writing)
  • An Aero Parker 51 with Noodler's NAV (Thin writing)
  • A Lamy Safari F with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage (Thick writing)
  • A Pilot Custom 74 B with J. Herbin Rouge Opera (Red pen)

I have other pens, including a well-loved Lamy 2000, but it is wayyyyy too thick for anything. I carry the Duofold in my pocket, and a Fisher Space Pen (cause why not). The Duofold is nice, but carrying a almost 100-year-old pen in my pocket worries me. My 51 burbs ink for some reason when I keep it in a warm place, so I can't use that. I sort of want a Pilot Custom 823, since it has a shut-off valve. Or should I get something like the Liliput? I'm also looking into this nice Sheaffer Touchdown that costs the same as a Liliput.

Ivenue Icy rise to be my EDC, and there's a very simple reason, it slot into my Knox A6 Filofax divider / full length leather pen holder perfectly, it now go with me always in that A6 filofax EDC journal / notebook / scheduler, the delike EF nib help as it write true EF and that is a plus for this application

I'd like to keep my EDC down to two or 3 pens. A fine point with waterproof ink for postcards and minutes and a pen or two with coloured ink for marking up, one of which is lightish for doing Sudoku puzzles.

What I actually have in my Lihit Labs pouch is:

Ranga 4C - Pelikan Edelstein Garnet

TWSBI Go - Carpink ElectroOptic Violet

Wing Sung 601A - Sailor Okuyama

Wing Sung 698 - Noodler's Catalpa

Platinum 3775 - Platinum Carbon Black

Pilot Dipper - Akkerman SBRE Brown

Sheaffer Targa - Sheaffer Skrip King's Gold

Maybe I'b have less pens inked if I had less room to carry them? As if!

Edited by Steveg58

I recently received a Conklin Minigraph, and despite its small size, I cannot drag myself away from it. It is a perfect pocket pen, and it writes well. I've been carrying it around for the past few weeks, along with a TWSBI Eco 1.1 stub that I use for fancier projects. Both are great EDC pens.

And my pouch of choice is a Nock Sinclair raven/aqua (though I've been carrying these two pens primarily in a pocket).

Edited by WLSpec

The only pen I carry around everywhere I go is a Pilot Metropolitan. The nib is fine enough to work on cheap paper and the pen is amazing.

As for my other pens, some of them are either too flashy for everyday use or are too expensive. And I don't like my Lamy Safari and Vistas(they wrote super dry).

If I'm feeling particularly brave, I'll carry my Pilot Custom 74 around with my TWSBI vac 700

Always have a Waterman JIF school pen on me (currently a sparkly purple one with L'amant). I've also started carrying the green-stripe M300 again.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.