Clearly, Watson

dougscott

Actually, he never said "Elementary."

Six weeks in the making! Cheers to Arthur Conan Doyle and all the actors who have portrayed Sherlock. The pen is cast acrylic, the magnifying glass is banded in sterling, and the cap has a number of Sherlock's most famous cases engraved on it in maddeningly clear lettering. Admittedly, the names of the cases are only partially spelled out and (as some clues are more obvious than others), identifying them all is a two pipe problem.

Thanks for looking!

Doug

post-57420-0-49967900-1475256653_thumb.jpg

post-57420-0-70898900-1475256666_thumb.jpg

post-57420-0-89637300-1475256685_thumb.jpg

post-57420-0-62899700-1475256706_thumb.jpg

Write with a pen as unique as your thoughts!

http://www.kairospens.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dougscott

• inkstainedruth

• Hedgepig

• mmg122

I love how the barrel has the Baker Street Tube station logo on it.... That's very clever. Is it a decal/screen printing on the outside of the barrel?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Actually, he never said "Elementary."

Hi Doug,

As a fellow Holmes geek, could I draw your attention to this passage from "The Crooked Men"?

"I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson," said he. "When your round is a short one you walk, and when it is a long one you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom."

"Excellent!" I cried.

"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction. The same may be said, my dear fellow, for the effect of some of these little sketches of yours, which is entirely meretricious, depending as it does upon your retaining in your own hands some factors in the problem which are never imparted to the reader.

What he never said, at least in the Arthur Conan Doyle canon was "Elementary, my dear Watson" although that phrase has often been used in films and other works.

Anyway – that’s a beautiful pen. Any chance of some more photographs of the cap? Not being a pipe smoker, I’m at a bit of a disadvantage but perhaps with some help from the gasogene, I may be able to solve a couple of the riddles it contains.

Life is too short to hurry through.

~ Kenny Salwey - The Last River Rat

Hi Doug,

As a fellow Holmes geek, could I draw your attention to this passage from "The Crooked Men"?

"I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson," said he. "When your round is a short one you walk, and when it is a long one you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom."

"Excellent!" I cried.

"Elementary," said he. "It is one of those instances where the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed the one little point which is the basis of the deduction. The same may be said, my dear fellow, for the effect of some of these little sketches of yours, which is entirely meretricious, depending as it does upon your retaining in your own hands some factors in the problem which are never imparted to the reader.

What he never said, at least in the Arthur Conan Doyle canon was "Elementary, my dear Watson" although that phrase has often been used in films and other works.

Anyway – that’s a beautiful pen. Any chance of some more photographs of the cap? Not being a pipe smoker, I’m at a bit of a disadvantage but perhaps with some help from the gasogene, I may be able to solve a couple of the riddles it contains.

I gladly stand corrected! And thanks for the kind comment. There is a slow motion video of the cap being rotated on my Instagram account -- drdgscott. But fair warning -- you'll be hard pressed to get them all! Each title is in a different font, and they are engraved at a 45 degree angle to the upright, all cropped and contained in a 2 inch square. Quite the poser!

I love how the barrel has the Baker Street Tube station logo on it.... That's very clever. Is it a decal/screen printing on the outside of the barrel?

Thank you, Ruth. Actually, the Tube logo is engraved and filled with resin. Since the engraving has some depth, there is a dimensionality to the barrel when viewed through the back of the acrylic. Could it be that other London Transport stops are being worked on? Perhaps ones with literary connections? Hmmmm....

Thank you, Ruth. Actually, the Tube logo is engraved and filled with resin. Since the engraving has some depth, there is a dimensionality to the barrel when viewed through the back of the acrylic. Could it be that other London Transport stops are being worked on? Perhaps ones with literary connections? Hmmmm....

Thanks for the info!

As for the other stops, a friend posted a link on Facebook awhile back for non-standard maps of the Underground system, and I worked and worked to figure out what the "medieval" equivalent to the Bond Street station would be (it's a thing...). Yes, someone worked out what would have been at every stop in the system -- on every line -- if the system had existed in the Middle Ages.... IIRC, Bond Street would have been a place called "Aye Brook".

ETA: You know, if I ever win the lottery I might just commission an "Aye Brook" stop pen, with the (modern) "it's a thing" references on the cap.... Sadly, I probably couldn't afford it otherwise. But it would be amusing as all get out, especially since I'd probably be the only one to get the joke.... B) Although I'm not sure what I'd do for a clip design (oh, wait, I do, but it would probably be a major PITA to make...).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the info!

As for the other stops, a friend posted a link on Facebook awhile back for non-standard maps of the Underground system, and I worked and worked to figure out what the "medieval" equivalent to the Bond Street station would be (it's a thing...). Yes, someone worked out what would have been at every stop in the system -- on every line -- if the system had existed in the Middle Ages.... IIRC, Bond Street would have been a place called "Aye Brook".

ETA: You know, if I ever win the lottery I might just commission an "Aye Brook" stop pen, with the (modern) "it's a thing" references on the cap.... Sadly, I probably couldn't afford it otherwise. But it would be amusing as all get out, especially since I'd probably be the only one to get the joke.... B) Although I'm not sure what I'd do for a clip design (oh, wait, I do, but it would probably be a major PITA to make...).

:) I'll be doing a Mind the Gap one in the near future.....

Doug...as a dyed in the wool Holmes lover, I think that is the coolest pen I've ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. If you ever think about selling it, keep me in mind.

ETA: Just noticed your website. I've sent PM.

I gladly stand corrected! And thanks for the kind comment. There is a slow motion video of the cap being rotated on my Instagram account -- drdgscott. But fair warning -- you'll be hard pressed to get them all! Each title is in a different font, and they are engraved at a 45 degree angle to the upright, all cropped and contained in a 2 inch square. Quite the poser!

Thanks for the link Doug. Looks like my evening just got busy. :-)

Life is too short to hurry through.

~ Kenny Salwey - The Last River Rat