Visconti Rembrandt Metal Section Question

landon-motz

Hey, everyone! This is my first post here on the FPN and I have a question for all you out there who own a Visconti Rembrandt. Recently I have been thinking of buying a Rembrandt because something about it just captivates me and draws me in but I have concerns over whether or not I will enjoy the pen seeing as how it has a metal section. I own a Parker IM rollerball with a metal section that I absolutely hate and don't want to buy the Visconti if that will be the case. Does anyone have and helpful input on this matter? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• alexander_k

• Schadenfreude

• woleizihan

I have an orange one. The metal section doesn't bother me. I hope you will have a chance to try one. Welcome to FPN!

I did have nib trouble when I first got it. The store wouldn't exchange it and the company that handles the warranty wasn't able to fix it, although they were extremely helpful, even paying for mailing it back and forth.

If I bought another, I would purchase from a store with excellent customer service.

I sent it to a nib meister who fixed it easily. It now is one of my favorites. I like its looks as you do. It's the pen I grab when I have a phone call because I can snap the cap off with one hand. Also it always writes well with the first stroke.

I use Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red with it. It's a good match! If you get one, we would like to hear what color and nib you choose and how you like it. Good luck!

I find the metal section comfortable to use. But, as Green Ink said - if you can try before you buy, it might be a good idea.

I enjoy using the Rembrandt.

I loved my Rembrandt, especially its responsive nib, but couldn't get used to the metal section. After just a few minutes I could feel it slipping and realized that I was already applying too much pressure to keep the pen under control. So, if you hate the IM section, there's a high probability you won't enjoy the one on Rembrandt.

I also don't quite like the metal section of Rembrandt. It feels cold and slippery for me. So I agree with alexander_k that if you "absolutely hate" another metal section, it's unlikely for you to enjoy the one on Rembrandt because I don't see it radically different from any other metal sections.

If you have a hand that sweats easily/a lot, you may not like visconti rembrandt.

I have visconti rembrandt in ivory. The metal section doesnt bother me, my hand is never sweaty hence it's not slippery.

I also have parker IM. Although the metal section doesnt bother me i dont use this often because the nib is M

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

I have a Visconti Rembrandt Calligraphy Set: one pen, two sections to choose from, one with EF nib, which needed some tuning, and one with a pleasant 1.5 stub. The sections in my set are plastic (and very comfortable). :)

I don't care for metal sections. I find the metal to be impersonal and cool under my fingers. The section is critical for my writing experience. However, these are only my opinions, and they are not shared by many experienced FPNers.

If you have this uncertainty, then find a way to spend time with the pen in your hand to determine if this is the writing instrument for you.

Buzz

• 9 months later...

Welcome to FPN! I personally dislike holding any metal pens, any parts that would touch my hand or fingers. If you're like me, I would avoid buying it. But hey, this is very personal...

François

It's nice. The advantage of the metal section with the resin rear is that it puts the weight of the pen where it belongs - at the front. The result is a pen that is nicely balanced and is a pleasure to write with posted - or unposted. And the nib is one of the nicest steel ones about.

Hello and welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

If you really hate the metal section on your Parker IM rollerball because it's metal, then you might equally hate the metal section on a fountain pen. I would never buy a pen with a metal section as I have tried some and found them too slippery for me to hold.

I recommend you try one first to see if you find it any better than the one on your rollerball, but somehow I don't think you will. :glare:

Sandy brings up an interesting point about how having a metal section affects the balance of a pen. Recently I tried a Lamy 2000 in Macrolon and, although I liked its appearance and wanted to like the pen, I found it uncomfortable to use precisely because the metal section shifted the weight of the pen farther toward the front than is comfortable for me. I prefer to feel weight on my hand between thumb and forefinger and find that a front-weighted pen puts too much stress on my fingers.

I have three Rembrandts and love them. However, the metal section can be slippery if you have moist fingers. Visconti nibs also tend to be very wet, so a medium nib will almost be a broad on most other Western pens. The nibs are very smooth.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

I just put my Rembrandt down on my desk this very moment. I tend to hold my pens high up on the barrel so the metal is not an issue for me as my fingers never come into contact. I think Sandy101 makes a very important point about balance. The barrel doesn't add much weight to the pen - it's mostly in the metal section and nib. (I just unscrewed the barrel and am holding the pen without it.) l like this pen and use it frequently, but the nib - mine is 14k - is not at all flexible. If the metal gets to be really bothersome you could wrap a narrow strip of duct tape around it, but don't forget the WD40! ;-)