Seeking Slim Fountain Pen

MysteryUnraveled53

I'm looking for a new fountain pen which is very slim -- preferably 5/16" wide where my fingers hold the pen for writing. I prefer a smooth silky feel to the pen and a very easy flowing nib. I may be retiring my 37 year old beloved Mont Blanc pen, (model #M1122) since finding or altering a converter that is compatible has been unsuccessful so far.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MysteryUnraveled53

• dadbar

• SpecTP

• eawtan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yard o led pocket

montblanc 34

sheaffer statesman

caran d'ache ecridor

faber castell ambition

what converter did you try that didn't work with your mb slim/noblesse?

post-130775-0-04898000-1475177624_thumb.jpg

5/16 inch = 0.31 inch = 7.9mm

OK that is SLIM

Here are my list of slim pens, that I have the specs on, in order of grip size:

- Cross, Classic Century, 6.6mm grip, 8.1mm body > current production (cartridge only, but you can make a bulb converter)

- Sheaffer, Mini-Targa, 7.8mm grip, 8.4mm body (cartridges are long out of production, so converter only)

- Parker, Classic, 8.4mm grip, 9.5mm body

- Lamy, cp1, 8.7mm grip, 9.4mm body > current production

Nibs can be adjusted for flow, though the Targa might be tricky to do.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Not sure if it's the width you're looking for (I'm not at home so I can't measure), but for slim pens my first thought would be a Parker Vector, or maybe a Parker 45.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Actually, it isn't difficult to find a converter that will fit. The pen takes a standard international converter that pushes to fit, not a converter that screws on. The current Montblanc converter is a screw-on type, and won't fit that pen. (Or many other old models.)

If you're a demon for authenticity, you can try to find the original Montblanc push-fit converter. They won't be available today from a Montblanc boutique, but pen hobbyists have created a secondary market in which all kinds of old things are for sale.

What I do is use a Waterman converter. I recommend the recently-obsolete kind with a steel collar, in preference to the current model with a black plastic collar. Easily found on eBay.

Other international converters will also fit, not all of them perfectly. The word "standard" can conceal a lot of small differences.

May I suggest an Esterbrook LJ with a series 9xxx nib. Nice slim fountain pen and the series 9xxx nibs are smooth and flowing nibs. Uncomplicated fountain pen with a simple lever-fill filling system that holds plenty of ink. The Esterbrook LJ is as long as the Esterbrook J but is a slim fountain pen. I find them too slim for my hand and my liking. I would strongly encourage you to try one. Several members here on the FPN have them for sale fully restored for very modest prices.

Note: While I don't sale pens, if you want an Esterbrook LJ and can't seem to find one in a restored condition that you trust, please PM me and I will give you a list of sources to which I have no connection other than the knowledge that they have quality restored Esterbrook pens available for sale.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Actually, it isn't difficult to find a converter that will fit. The pen takes a standard international converter that pushes to fit, not a converter that screws on. The current Montblanc converter is a screw-on type, and won't fit that pen. (Or many other old models.)

If you're a demon for authenticity, you can try to find the original Montblanc push-fit converter. They won't be available today from a Montblanc boutique, but pen hobbyists have created a secondary market in which all kinds of old things are for sale.

What I do is use a Waterman converter. I recommend the recently-obsolete kind with a steel collar, in preference to the current model with a black plastic collar. Easily found on eBay.

Other international converters will also fit, not all of them perfectly. The word "standard" can conceal a lot of small differences.

Hi Jerome! Thank you for your help! I'm in San Francisco also. I'd love to get a steel collar Waterman converter -- the one I tried, which didn't really stay in, was the one with the black plastic collar. if you have any extra ones, I'd be happy to purchase from you, otherwise, I'll try finding one on E-Bay. Best wishes ~ Jon

yard o led pocket

montblanc 34

sheaffer statesman

caran d'ache ecridor

faber castell ambition

what converter did you try that didn't work with your mb slim/noblesse?

Thank you! What a beautiful selection of pens! The converter, which was too wide at the bottom, was the Schmidt K5 treadless international converter -- I've been working on trimming it down with an exacto knife, but haven't achieved success so far.,

If you're into Montblancs why not try the rouge et noir? It is incredibly thin.

Thank you for your suggestion -- I'll check them out.

5/16 inch = 0.31 inch = 7.9mm

OK that is SLIM

Here are my list of slim pens, that I have the specs on, in order of grip size:

- Cross, Classic Century, 6.6mm grip, 8.1mm body > current production (cartridge only, but you can make a bulb converter)

- Sheaffer, Mini-Targa, 7.8mm grip, 8.4mm body (cartridges are long out of production, so converter only)

- Parker, Classic, 8.4mm grip, 9.5mm body

- Lamy, cp1, 8.7mm grip, 9.4mm body > current production

Nibs can be adjusted for flow, though the Targa might be tricky to do.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

If you're into Montblancs why not try the rouge et noir? It is incredibly thin.

Also .... I tried out a Graf Von Faber-Castel Classic pen today at Gumps -- do you have an opinion about them (in contrast to Mont Blanc)?

Sailor Chalana? It might be too slim, though..

Also from Cross, the discontinued (but still around) Spire. It's pretty much a dressed up and fancier Classic Century.

Edited by inotrym

Don't rule out vintage Waterman from the 1980/90's, the Executive and Exclusive. The section grip on both is 8mm diameter.

Solid gold nibs and soooo smooooth.

Also .... I tried out a Graf Von Faber-Castel Classic pen today at Gumps -- do you have an opinion about them (in contrast to Mont Blanc)?

I far prefer my Graf von Faber Castell pens to my Montblancs.

Of the slim format pens my absolute favorite are the ST Dupont slim Gatsby pens. They take the Parker Standard cartridge converters so replacement converters are not an issue.

http://www.fototime.com/65CF56A4BF4429D/medium800.jpg

In the GvFC pens I prefer the Classic over the Guilloche but most aesthetics rather than function.

http://www.fototime.com/EB50EB884E08D8E/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A8C2BBE92404637/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A8E60FA3CE9FAC7/medium800.jpg

In the Caran d'Ache I like the Hexagonal most, the Varius next and then the Ecridor.

http://www.fototime.com/D63F83AD6420745/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/64EC09099C9280F/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/537F6681C1019C8/medium800.jpg

Some favorite slim Watermans are the Gentleman and Preface. The other variations on the cylinder like the Laureate are also super reliable.

Laureate third from left, Preface third from right, Gentleman second from right.

http://www.fototime.com/4331AF9B8EB994A/medium800.jpg

My Website

Thank you! What a beautiful selection of pens! The converter, which was too wide at the bottom, was the Schmidt K5 treadless international converter -- I've been working on trimming it down with an exacto knife, but haven't achieved success so far.,

I understand your pain.. I have 2 types of schmidt K5 converters and the brass one sticks to the bottom of the noblesse, while the steel one doesn't and works just fine.

post-130775-0-24775400-1475542239_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpecTP

Here are some, not necessarily easy to find at an acceptable price, but not super rare either. Top to bottom, Pilot MYU, Pilot Murex, Montblanc Noblesse.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/20160329_215318_zpsw0bkhvpj.jpg

The Noblesse is about the slimmest fountain pen I have. Here it's seen between another FP and a ballpoint.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Pens/DSCF0501_zps156e5f1b.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hi Jerome! Thank you for your help! I'm in San Francisco also. I'd love to get a steel collar Waterman converter -- the one I tried, which didn't really stay in, was the one with the black plastic collar. if you have any extra ones, I'd be happy to purchase from you, otherwise, I'll try finding one on E-Bay. Best wishes ~ Jon

If you are in the Bay Area, come to a SF Pen Posse.

We usually meet in Millbrae.

Check the clubs section and watch for Pen Posse annoucements.

If you let me know you are coming, I can bring a few of my slim pens.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I don't think of myself as having extra converters. Although I can be described as a hoarder with respect to some things i own, such as too many fountain pens and too many books, I buy converters more or less on an as-needed basis.

At the San Francisco International Pen show I bought one (1) Waterman converter from Joel Hamilton. Am not up to the hips in them. The ones with a steel collar are available on eBay and perhaps from some dedicated pen Web sites.

It is a good idea to ask the seller if the picture of a steel-collared converter actually corresponds with what is offered for sale. Some sellers use the same photograph they began using even after their stock shifts to the newer model.

Good to find another San Franciscan using the board. I am not asking, but I am mildly curious as to what mystery has been unraveled. Truth seems to recede from me, and it's encouraging to think others have been more fortunate. What unravels for me is the sense of certainty proper to an intelligent 12-year-old. That has unraveled quite a bit.