Inconspicuous Montblanc

RagunCagun

Hello there,

I'm sorry in advance for the silly question, but if you can't ask pen questions that may seem silly here, where can you?!

On to my issue at hand... I've been using a Montblanc Meisterstuck ballpoint (not sure exactly which model) for a while now and I absolutely love it. It was a gift, but I'm not sentimentally attached. I just love the weight and smoothness of the refills (broad; blue), and the effortless glide across the paper.

My issue is, though, that I work in the gov./non-profit sector and walking around with a MB ballpoint (gifted or not) draws too much attention in the wrong way (maybe when I'm a director or team-lead it won't). I try to use it only for personal writing at my desk, etc., but the great feeling of using it has me wanting to just use it all the time no matter what.

Is there any way to make it less conspicuous? Maybe a change out of the white star top? Is there another similarly weighted pen, or one that takes MB refills?

I know that it's probably odd to request the transition in this direction (as opposed to asking for a pen that looks more like an MB), but I'm at a loss. I like pens, and I love this one in particular, but unfortunately it's just too recognizable even to the uninitiated.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RagunCagun

• bemon

• Cyber6

• jgwak2

I will say that you have a healthy imagination... Is hard for me to believe anyone is "judging" you by your pen preference.

I know Montblancs... and I never noticed them .. unless they are fountain pens (I love the nibs).

I won't argue with you for what you believe is negative attention... I will say, if you are correct, then take it as a "feature'.. Let your Montblanc show you the kind of person you are dealing with on a daily basis. ;)

C.

Hello there,

I'm sorry in advance for the silly question, but if you can't ask pen questions that may seem silly here, where can you?!

On to my issue at hand... I've been using a Montblanc Meisterstuck ballpoint (not sure exactly which model) for a while now and I absolutely love it. It was a gift, but I'm not sentimentally attached. I just love the weight and smoothness of the refills (broad; blue), and the effortless glide across the paper.

My issue is, though, that I work in the gov./non-profit sector and walking around with a MB ballpoint (gifted or not) draws too much attention in the wrong way (maybe when I'm a director or team-lead it won't). I try to use it only for personal writing at my desk, etc., but the great feeling of using it has me wanting to just use it all the time no matter what.

Is there any way to make it less conspicuous? Maybe a change out of the white star top? Is there another similarly weighted pen, or one that takes MB refills?

I know that it's probably odd to request the transition in this direction (as opposed to asking for a pen that looks more like an MB), but I'm at a loss. I like pens, and I love this one in particular, but unfortunately it's just too recognizable even to the uninitiated.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I will say that you have a healthy imagination... Is hard for me to believe anyone is "judging" you by your pen preference.

I know Montblancs... and I never noticed them .. unless they are fountain pens (I love the nibs).

I won't argue with you for what you believe is negative attention... I will say, if you are correct, then take it as a "feature'.. Let your Montblanc show you the kind of person you are dealing with on a daily basis. ;)

C.

Haha I've thought about this, and that may end up being the route I take, honestly. If there's no other way, then there's no other way :)

I had a former coworker that recognized the emblem once, and called me out on it. She was doing so tongue-in-cheek, though, as she had a ballpoint and pencil set at home and was well versed in pens. Her comment was less an inquiry into why, and more in regards to "why at work?"

It could well be paranoia, you're right. But I get the sense that people may not know what MB is within the pen community, but they know it's expensive... sorta like a Rolex...

Edited by RagunCagun

If someone says something you can always point out they have an $800 phone they pay $50 a month to use and it will be polluting ewaste in 3 years. Your pen can last a lifetime and was a gift.

Just don't pull out your new iPhone 7 right after you say that. ;)

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

No way I would carry a really valuable pen to work - I'd worry to much about it growing legs and walking away, or being damaged in the weirdest ways by some co-worker who just wants to "borrow it for a second".

People who habitually carry pocket knives can all tell tales about the amazing resourcefulness of knife-ignorant people at coming up with new ways of ruining a knife.

use it proudly. don't be self-conscious about it

Well said- like female members here would say: 'because you're worth it!'

Well, you could always say that your pen is a fake

Alfredo

Two-fold risk: 1. You don't wanna create that image of being a cheap fake user 2. They might want to borrow it on the basis that it is 'only' a fake

If someone says something you can always point out they have an $800 phone they pay $50 a month to use and it will be polluting ewaste in 3 years. Your pen can last a lifetime and was a gift.

Just don't pull out your new iPhone 7 right after you say that. ;)

Well said, well said.

I use a Parker Jotter (for shorthand) with a fine Parker Quink Flow refill. The Schimdt EasyFlow refill is highly regarded but I've never tried one.

Get a couple of Jotters in different colours and rotate them - you'll find people won't know the difference between the Parker and the MB, they will be equally surprised you aren't writing with a throwaway Bic.

“Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.” Oscar Wilde.

I agree with mhpr262. Pens in the workplace are considered communal property. I wouldn't bring an expensive pen to work.

The Duke of Buckingham had a great suggestion - the Parker Jotter. The Quinkflow refill writes smoothly.

RC, FWIW, if anything, I worked for a government mental health agency for almost 20 years. At one time I was using an MB Hemingway BP. I surely didn't care what anyone thought.

Occasionally someone would comment about my nice looking pen.

Used lots of different pens over the years. My job required "tons" of writing. Also, used fountain pens from time-to-time.

And, yes, I was just a grunt, if you will, at the bottom of the heap.

Best regards,

George

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

As an ExPat contractor to the U.S. Military, I know exactly what, and why you are asking the question...

At my home office I exclusively use Montblancs: 149, 146, and a StarWalker.

Through the years I have carried them to the actual job sites and invariably someone would notice or comment. The worse was when you ran into someone who knew what you had, and the cost. "I would never pay that kind of money for just a pen. Damn we pay you contractors too much!"

But then I found the solution: An Acme ballpoint pen. Actually an Acme Frank Lloyd Wright Special Edition. I throw out the acme refill and replace it with a Montblanc rollerball refill. In order to get it to fit you simply cut the back end off the plastic plug at the first step. Fits like a charm, works like a champ. I have even had people borrow it and comment on how well it writes.

Check YouTube if I wasn't clear on the refill cut point.

People do judge you buy your pen if/when they notice. When I first got my current job several people kept commenting about my pens and their prices which was actually very disturbing. I simply ignored them and they eventually stopped. You could just ignore them but if they really get on your nerves, you could simply use some electrician's tape to cover the star. I doubt such people will notice it's a MB after and if they do they probably will be someone who cares about the pen itself, rather than its price.

You could look on eBay for a Montblanc Quickpen. I bought one in the early 80's, I believe they retailed for $23.00 which included three different refills back then. It's a very discrete stainless steel pen with a nice heft to it and the rollerball refills still fit.

With any luck you might find one for under $100.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you could always say that your pen is a fake

Alfredo

I understand your problem. Unless you work in a corporate suite, law office or are secretary of some lame department, carrying any Montblanc around sets you apart from the everyday working man, and can make you a target.

If you are getting unwanted attention and it's making you uncomfortable then you need to trust your gut and make some changes. Montblanc fakes are very common. Tell everyone it's a good Chinese fake, Bragg about it so everyone hears. Next thing you know they will be asking where they can get one like it. I wouldn't take it out to sign you're tab at the local pool hall, that Could be a problem...

Once you make it in the big times, it won't matter.

Good luck.

I worked in IT for a city in Florida for about 29 years. For twenty-one of those years I always had a MB 144R and 164 R in my pocket, bordeaux fountain pen and ballpoint, or I had a 146 fountain pen and 164 ballpoint in black in my pocket. I used them all the time. All this thought about what someone else thinks is unfortunate. I think to heck with them, let them buy their own Montblanc. If they like Parker better, so be it. To each his own. Occasionally I would use my Parker 51 and Parker 51 ballpoint. Whatever. It's a free country.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I apologize in advance, but as previously mentioned, why spend exorbitant amounts on worse vices and yet frown on someone using an mb? No one should be judging you.

Personally, I'm new to fountain pens and nicer writing instruments, but i have nothing but greater respect for someone who appreciates finer writing pieces. If inconspicuous is what youre after, there are many great pens not mb that won't bring you unwanted attention.

I say just use it, youre over thinking this :)

A great pen is still a pen and created for the purpose to actually use and enjoy.

Edited by jgwak2

• 2 weeks later...

I have only judged one person for a Mont Blanc pen, and that was because it was clipped on the outside of his lanyard, as he was walking at a brisk pace outside on the sidewalk on a crowded street next to the bus lane!

If he doesn't have the respect for that pen, maybe it should be given to a more appreciative audience ;)

There is a hack to get the refill in a Pilot G2 https://www.wired.com/2010/10/pilot-g2-mont-blanc-ink-refill-cheap-amazing-pen/

I would just use it and enjoy it and don't feel at all self-conscious about it. Some may think it's not authentic. :D

You only live once. Life's too short to use cheap ballpoints when you have a Montblanc.