Sailor Kiwa-Guro (Nano-Pigment Ink)

white_lotus

Well this may be the most boring ink review you've ever seen. Sailor Kiwa-guro is a permanent black ink based on nano-pigment instead of a dye. I presume this means the pigment particles are much smaller than usual for pigments, but not so small to be a dye. There may be other factors that contribute to this ink being permanent, but it is not an iron-gall ink. The ink is totally waterproof, and if the pigment is a permanent black, then it will also be lightfast.

An interesting FP ink it is not, in that it doesn't shade really, and it doesn't sheen. It's quite a flat black color. Even the ink droplet chroma is boring as I think I was also running out of the fill at the time and didn't get a full droplet(s).

I have to admit I still like the look of a black ink on paper. This may not be the blackest of black inks, but it perfectly appears as black.

fpn_1475104265__dscn1521.jpg

fpn_1475104316__dscn1542.jpg

fpn_1475104348__dscn1519.jpg

fpn_1475104379__dscn1524.jpg

fpn_1475104405__dscn1526.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• IndigoBOB

• white_lotus

• TheDutchGuy

If I had to choose only one ink for the rest of my life, it would be this ink!

I.Fast drying.

II. Low degree of feathering.

III. Low degree of bleed-through.

IV. Non-smearing.

V. Waterproof

VI. Lightproof

VII. A beautiful blackness with a graphite sheen in certain angles.

As to my knowledge, no other ink surpasses this Kiwa-guro ink!

Thanks for the positive comments. I really have always enjoyed this ink when I use it. It was my first bottle of ink, which I used for well over a year. And my little Aurora was abused so much because I simply refilled the pen when the converter went dry. I didn't understand anything about "pen maintenance". An ink that just works.

This isn't my favourite ink and it's also not my favourite black, but to me it still is and/or remains the blackest black of all blacks I know of. Sure, chromatography is no "proof" of anything but it does IMO substantiate my feeling/sensation of same. The last time I re-recorded that option was when I compared it with MB's Ultra Black. Here's the picture...

fpn_1508321702__12_blacks.jpg

... where Kiwa-Guro is Number 9.

Fine!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Sure, chromatography is no "proof" of anything but it does IMO substantiate my feeling/sensation of same. ... where Kiwa-Guro is Number 9.

Kiwa-Guro could still be a mixture of different pigments, of which all of them waterproof thus immobile on the chromatography paper. In that case, all of the pigments would sit still on the starting spot. Different combinations of mobile and stationary phases (i.e. something other than water and paper) might allow separation of those nano pigments though.

Thank you for this excellent ink review. While I am suppose to be branching out from my black only inks into some blue inks (a totally self imposed edict), I have got to say that I, a user of only black inks since forever, find this to be a beautiful ink. It has everything that makes me love an ink. It will probably be my next ordered ink.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

The proprietary cartridges that I ordered for my Sailor 21 Pocket Pen are Kiwa-Guro, but it's been a while. I think I need to pop a cart in the pen and put it back in the rotation :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

If I had to choose only one ink for the rest of my life, it would be this ink!

I.Fast drying.

II. Low degree of feathering.

III. Low degree of bleed-through.

IV. Non-smearing.

V. Waterproof

VI. Lightproof

VII. A beautiful blackness with a graphite sheen in certain angles.

As to my knowledge, no other ink surpasses this Kiwa-guro ink!

+1 on that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PS: Thanks a lot for the review, but I disagree on two things:

I. The review wasn't at all boring!

II. The ink has a kind of sheen, in certain light and certain angles.

Lennart

I agree. Kiwa-guro has silvery sheen on Rhodia dotpad and 100 gram-ish Winsor & Newton (sketch?) paper.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Indeed. One poster described the sheen as a "graphite" sheen, which is a much more informative word. The sheen looks like heavy pencil markings in the right light.

bayesianprior.png

Indeed. One poster described the sheen as a "graphite" sheen, which is a much more informative word. The sheen looks like heavy pencil markings in the right light.

Something like that, but I didn't (and don't) have anything softer than HB lead around. HB lead is so much lighter gray than Kiwa-guro that I didn't want to draw conclusions.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my absolutely favourite inks (together with Sei-Boku). A waterproof ink that behaves perfectly and predictably, is lubricating and quick-drying, and which doesn't tend to stain or stick to the innards of my favourite pens? Sign me up!

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 1 year later...

I think this is at the top of my list... Darn.

I use Aurora Black right now, but I'd love to try this. The most amazing stories and words I have ever read have been printed in black... It's not so bad. Challenges you to bring light to the writing through your own words. Heck I like black lol...

I have a question? What kind of maintenance is required for this ink?

I have a question? What kind of maintenance is required for this ink?

Most will say you should flush out your pens more often when using this ink. While that is always a good idea, I've found this ink requires about the same amount of maintenance as any other ink. Matter of fact, I had this ink loaded in an Esterbrook J that I lost. I found it over a year later behind a book shelf. It didn't take me too many extra flushes to clean out the pen and have it ready to go.

This is my favorite ink, and the one I would choose if I could have only one. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in any pen.

YMMV.

Cheers

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)