What's Up With Engeika?

ICantEvenDecideAMajor

So I know that Engeika's Pilot pen's page has been "under construction" for quite a bit now, but just this week I noticed that they are running out of a lot of Sailor pens as well; the only higher end pen I see available is a single KOP with King Eagle nib, and a few more common KOPs here and there. On the other hand, Engeika still has Sailor inks and normal stock of Platinum pens available. So does anyone know anything about this? Is this a temporary thing?

Ask everyone if they want a cup of tea. It's a mantra to Heaven.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djbb

• kenshiro

• markh

• ICantEvenDecideAMajor

I don't know, many people, me among them, are having problem getting answers from him about orders, so it seems he may be going through something...

I'm another one waiting for shipping. I put an order in for an "in stock" Platinum Balance on Sept 16. Since then no communication. Sent an email a few days ago to inquire about shipping -- no reply. Very unprofessional.

I ordered a sailor pro gear slim in stock too, sent him an email and he replied saying he'd ship it it a couple of days, but he hasn't replied again to any of my messages asking for updates.

I tried him out for Sailor ink, but he couldn't be bothered to ship it within 7 days after he had taken my money. He said he was out of stock. So I made a PayPal claim and he refunded me straight away.

I'm not a fan of anyone taking my money and not shipping the goods because they are out of stock.

With Engeika it's very weird imo. I was hesitant to ever buy from him, but then did, although only ink cartridges and converters. Was a good experience. Didn't want to buy pens from him, although I was close to do that a little while ago, although this recent debacle has me doubting even buying carts, converters and bottles of ink (bascially the peanut stuff which should not be an issue) any time soon.

What I find weird is that he seems to have periods: at times he's extremely unreliable and gets tonnes of negative stories on here, and at times he's one of the best sources to buy Japanese stationery goods from. I don't get it. Many say he's a one man operation, so to cut him some slack, but I can't get behind this as an excuse, he's been in the business since (as some of you say) the late 1980s, not since recently. If the one man show is not enough, then he ought to hire some staff.

Also what up with the Pilot section being "under cnstruction" for donkey's years now? It's been forever, really!

Would really like to know what goes on at Engeika to always have these good and bad periods.... Amazing that he's managed to stay in business for such a long time with the way he's doing it..

ETA: Slightly OT, but I've also always wondered why Japanese sellers often take 3-4 or so days to ship items? (via Amazon for instance) Anyone know?

Edited by Olya

I asked him about the availability of a pen about a week ago and he responded in a day or two which was relatively fast, and my previous experiences buying pens from him were all excellent. I'm having this wild speculation (No evidence or proof or anything just a completely random idea) that maybe he's having problems sourcing the pens? I mean, Pilot and Sailor pens all sell for a lot more in the U.S., and sometimes twice as much in Europe; so I could see the manufacturers pressured to restrict supply to Engeika. Again, just a wild speculation.

HE's just sent me an email saying my order has been shipped and I'll receive an automatic email with the tracking number, which I haven't yet, but I guess it's been shipped if he says so. I hope you guys have the same luck.

I asked him about the availability of a pen about a week ago and he responded in a day or two which was relatively fast, and my previous experiences buying pens from him were all excellent. I'm having this wild speculation (No evidence or proof or anything just a completely random idea) that maybe he's having problems sourcing the pens? I mean, Pilot and Sailor pens all sell for a lot more in the U.S., and sometimes twice as much in Europe; so I could see the manufacturers pressured to restrict supply to Engeika. Again, just a wild speculation.

If that was the case, you'd see the same thing on, for instance, j-subculture, and Rakuten sellers would refuse to sell outside Japan.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I tried him out for Sailor ink, but he couldn't be bothered to ship it within 7 days after he had taken my money. He said he was out of stock. So I made a PayPal claim and he refunded me straight away.

I'm not a fan of anyone taking my money and not shipping the goods because they are out of stock.

It took nearly two months for me to receive Sailor ink from him that was listed as in stock on the site but then needed to be ordered directly from Sailor, upon whom he placed the blame for the delay.

I'm waiting for an order of ink as well. What I don't understand is why he's marked the inks as being in stock when he's waiting for the manufacturer to deliver them to him. To me, in stock means "I have this at hand and can ship within a day or two", not "I know this'll be coming to me at some point". I'd much rather be mildly disappointed because an item is marked out of stock than be irritated because an item I was told was in stock isn't actually there at the moment, even if it's on order.

"Oh deer."

Update on Engeika; as a regular buyer of products from this fabulous website can I just say how I am amazed at the quality of products stocked by them, for instance they are in the middle of a huge upgrade of their site and on counting what they have available at the moment I don't think there is another site that can compare with them just in Fountain pens alone and yes I am talking quality!!! The total number of Fountain pens on the site at this time is approximately297 of all shapes and sizes, designs.nib choices, plus 45 different inks to chose from plus countless other products to gloat over. They have everything that the discerning pen person requires, so I am quite happy to remain a satisfied customer, what have you got to lose? if you pay via paypal wont you get your money back for a uncompleted order? Trust Me. oneill

Their current issues - and make no mistake they are having issues (trust me!) - would be a lot more bearable if there was a degree of transparency. Leaving customers in the dark is never a good policy, irrespective of the (perceived) quality of the offered "stock".

I'm waiting for an order of ink as well. What I don't understand is why he's marked the inks as being in stock when he's waiting for the manufacturer to deliver them to him. To me, in stock means "I have this at hand and can ship within a day or two", not "I know this'll be coming to me at some point". I'd much rather be mildly disappointed because an item is marked out of stock than be irritated because an item I was told was in stock isn't actually there at the moment, even if it's on order.

Some use the term meaning In Stock at their supplier.

Update on Engeika; as a regular buyer of products from this fabulous website can I just say how I am amazed at the quality of products stocked by them, for instance they are in the middle of a huge upgrade of their site and on counting what they have available at the moment I don't think there is another site that can compare with them just in Fountain pens alone and yes I am talking quality!!! The total number of Fountain pens on the site at this time is approximately297 of all shapes and sizes, designs.nib choices, plus 45 different inks to chose from plus countless other products to gloat over. They have everything that the discerning pen person requires, so I am quite happy to remain a satisfied customer, what have you got to lose? if you pay via paypal wont you get your money back for a uncompleted order? Trust Me. oneill

Yes, there's seldom problems with Engeika products and they do have a extremely comprehensive offering. But I can't pay for a six hundred dollar pen that says in stock that I need in a month as a birthday present, then have Engeika tell me it'll be special ordered and be here in 2-6 months...

But anyways, the original point of the thread is wondering about why it seems that Engeika is out of stock on the great majority of Sailor pens, and everything Pilot for a LONG time.

That is a fair point. But sometimes Engeika puts "in stock" for pens that Sailor needs to specially make with a really long wait time... I don't think that's what in stock means IMO.

I've had similar problems with Engeika and items being listed in stock but actually being sold out.

I'm starting to wonder about their business practices. The same outfit operates as Engeika, Hunnyhunt, Wancher, and PensIndia, and has had several questionable offerings like a fully transparent (including cap) Parker 51 "new old stock" demo, not otherwise known to exist.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

I just received an email from them indicating that the "In Stock" pen I purchased was in stock at the supplier and needed to be ordered. Very deceptive although I suppose it might be a language issue.

I've had similar problems with Engeika and items being listed in stock but actually being sold out.

I'm starting to wonder about their business practices. The same outfit operates as Engeika, Hunnyhunt, Wancher, and PensIndia, and has had several questionable offerings like a fully transparent (including cap) Parker 51 "new old stock" demo, not otherwise known to exist.

Would the pens supplied be genuine, though? I am interested to buy some Sailor pens from the site.

Would the pens supplied be genuine, though? I am interested to buy some Sailor pens from the site.

All those I've received have been genuine, as far as I'm aware. However, I haven't bought from them in almost two years.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10