St Dupont And Caran D'ache

Mastiff

Thanks Manhha. I like the fact that it is on the darker side, as fully fledged bright purple would not have been acceptable for me.

I also noted that this colour now seems to have been discontinued, so I think once the distributed stock is gone, it is really gone. Same with the Black MoP, I was told that I secured the very last pen ST Dupont Centre in Paris had in stock (!).

How do you guys like the new Atelier pens on the ST Dupont website? The sunburst blue, green and red?

Yep the Atelier in Purple has been discontinued, so grab one if you can.

To me the Red Atelier is too flashy, so my next Dupont would be the Atelier in Havana Brown.

The LE Vitruviman Man is now in stock. Actually it's the Brown Atelier with gold finish engraved on the cap. I found it too tangled for a pen.

st-dupont_vitruvian_man_prestige_fountai

Edited by manhha

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mastiff

• jar

• praxim

• manhha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ST Dupont black mother of pearl and Caran d'Ache Caviar arrived yesterday. Wow I love the MOP, it is the most beautiful pen I have owned! Still waiting on the Purple Atelier and Blue Atelier. When those two arrive, I will update with a family shot.

Partly owing to this thread, I have ordered a purple Atelier as my fourth S T Dupont.

X

Partly owing to this thread, I have ordered a purple Atelier as my fourth S T Dupont.

Great choice. For me there was just something about this colour. I don't usually go for non-conventional colours but this one just appeared to have that understated elegance to it. Somewhat similar to Nakaya Shobu but with, IMHO, far greater 'depth' to it.

You are right about the colour, Mastiff. I had looked at other Line D pens before without being moved. The purple Chinese lacquer finish on the Atelier looked distinctive yet useable anywhere, and very attractive.

X

You are right about the colour, Mastiff. I had looked at other Line D pens before without being moved. The purple Chinese lacquer finish on the Atelier looked distinctive yet useable anywhere, and very attractive.

I have a large size Olympio/Orpheo Placed Laque in purple.

http://www.fototime.com/DC76AF0D6B93001/large.jpg

My Website

ST Dupont black mother of pearl and Caran d'Ache Caviar arrived yesterday. Wow I love the MOP, it is the most beautiful pen I have owned! Still waiting on the Purple Atelier and Blue Atelier. When those two arrive, I will update with a family shot.

Great choice. For me there was just something about this colour. I don't usually go for non-conventional colours but this one just appeared to have that understated elegance to it. Somewhat similar to Nakaya Shobu but with, IMHO, far greater 'depth' to it.

More outdoor photos of Purple Atelier

post-126111-0-85928100-1493744875_thumb.jpgpost-126111-0-72804000-1493744882_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Black MOP and Blue Atelier arrived, Purple Atelier is on order. Caran d'Ache-wise, Caviar arrived and Grand Bleu is on order.

The pens were obtained from La Couronne du Compte, wrapped nicely as usual.

As you will see in the pictures below, the Black MOP was extremely difficult to capture. What is interesting about the Dupont MOP is that each facet shines differently based on the angle, and at a given angle different facets shine differently. Furthermore, the same facet will emit different colour dependent on the lighting and angle. A true beauty. I recommend all who are considering this to grab it while you can.

Blue was as expected. No big surprise. Great depth to the coloration and the hiding Atelier patterns really pop under white light.

Caran d'Ache Caviar was a big surprise for me. The pen is very pleasant to hold in hand. The surface laquer finish is very warm to the touch. I would describe the CdA surface to be more on the soft/glassy side, whereas Dupont would be best described having a solid/matte feel. Despite complaints of the 'narrow/slippery' section by two very famous fountain pen reviewers I found the section to be very comfortable, ergonomic and non-slippery. The step down from the barrel to the section did not bother me in the slightest. Due to this very positive experience I went ahead to order another CdA Leman, in the Grand Bleu finish.

post-20415-0-93231400-1494737064_thumb.jpg

post-20415-0-77031500-1494737078_thumb.jpg

post-20415-0-10826500-1494737092_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mastiff

• 2 weeks later...

The purple Atlelier pen arrived today. As promised some photographs. I am very happy with all 4 ST Dupont pens that I purchased this year.

post-20415-0-43839400-1495522363_thumb.jpg

The purple Atlelier pen arrived today. As promised some photographs. I am very happy with all 4 ST Dupont pens that I purchased this year.

Thanks for the nice photos comparing two size of Line D pens. Your Atelier in Purple looks great and it seems a bit brighter (and nicer) than mine.

Those are quite some colour variations in the photographs, which I presume to be a function of the lighting and photography. Mine is sitting at the post office, collected tomorrow. I expect the Goldilocks colour, if she had purple hair. :)

X

Thanks for the nice photos comparing two size of Line D pens. Your Atelier in Purple looks great and it seems a bit brighter (and nicer) than mine.

Those are quite some colour variations in the photographs, which I presume to be a function of the lighting and photography. Mine is sitting at the post office, collected tomorrow. I expect the Goldilocks colour, if she had purple hair. :)

Thanks guys! The photos were taken in my usual darkish room, under white desk light using iphone7.

I do however feel that mine is a little brighter than Minha's. ST Dupont does say that each laquer work is hand finished and no 2 will be alike.

I think we all did well getting these before they got sold out- after all there are only (!......) 1953 of these made :)

I think I've bought enough Duponts for now, and I am preparing to move on to Danitrios now. In fact I just ordered a black mother of pearl brilliante from LCDC! Yes, I absolutely love the black mother of pearl now!

Praxim- please do post a picture of your pen when it arrives!

Here it is. The rather blue colour in the photo, which is not retouched / enhanced, is not the colour I see in the pen, which is distinctly a dark purple. On the other hand, nor does it look the light purple I saw on LCdC's web site. Let us settle for the fact that I like the colour it is.

post-129543-0-67378100-1495602559_thumb.jpg

Lighting is daylight only in mid-afternoon, late Autumn, from right of picture.

The different lightness in the body and cap, lighter in the middle parts and darker at the ends, is much more prominent in the photograph than in reality, but definitely present on more than casual inspection.

The other fact I noticed fairly quickly is that the entire pen is 2g heavier than my previous record-holder, the Orient Express, and most of this is in the body because the Line D's cap is lighter! Unfilled pen weights excluding cap are 30 and 39 g for the OE and Line D respectively. Uncapped lengths are almost the same, the Line D a few millimetres less.

X

Nice! Thank you very much for the picture Praxim!

I've inked up mine with R&K Scabiosa to match the beautiful purple lacquer and I am extremly happy!

• 1 month later...

Guys, I'm having hard time deciding between Atelier Brown & Atelier Purple. And the main confusing comes from the fact that as I've tried hard using google, there are not much their pictures in real life, and they don't bring the WOW factor to me like pictures at ST Dupont website.

From my experience with watch, sometime real life is better than pictures. Is this true with this case? I'd very appreciated if some of you guys can show me some HD version of their pics.

Thank you.

Guys, I'm having hard time deciding between Atelier Brown & Atelier Purple. And the main confusing comes from the fact that as I've tried hard using google, there are not much their pictures in real life, and they don't bring the WOW factor to me like pictures at ST Dupont website.

From my experience with watch, sometime real life is better than pictures. Is this true with this case? I'd very appreciated if some of you guys can show me some HD version of their pics.

Thank you.

They are quite different. Brown one will have more 'sparkle' compared with the purple. Purple can be quite subtle, especially under normal light. However under white desk light, it becomes prominent. I think you should simply decide based on what colour you like more: brown vs purple, as they are differently but equally beautiful.

Goofy9x's request has led me to a a bit of a shock. When I received my brown Atelier a couple of days ago I quickly glanced in the big fancy box then put it away, having other things needing doing and no expectation of using this pen for a month. Intending to respond to goofy, I took it out to compare with the purple, to see immediately that the brown was a smaller, lighter pen. Checking the S T Dupont web site, the box and pen, and the order paperwork I realised I had the small brown Atelier, model 410713, where the order and invoice were for the larger model, 410699.

I have just finished writing to the vendor. I have dealt with them before and they have an excellent reputation so at this point I am not worried. Given that exchange would mean shipping around the planet after there-and-back-again, I am considering whether I should simply accept having a smaller pen (it's different, and I am not trying to create a set) given some reimbursement. Waiting and considering.

X

They are quite different. Brown one will have more 'sparkle' compared with the purple. Purple can be quite subtle, especially under normal light. However under white desk light, it becomes prominent. I think you should simply decide based on what colour you like more: brown vs purple, as they are differently but equally beautiful.

Thank you. Which make me worry about the brown one is their color. In pictures it a little bit shallow and lack of depth. What is your experience?

Goofy9x's request has led me to a a bit of a shock. When I received my brown Atelier a couple of days ago I quickly glanced in the big fancy box then put it away, having other things needing doing and no expectation of using this pen for a month. Intending to respond to goofy, I took it out to compare with the purple, to see immediately that the brown was a smaller, lighter pen. Checking the S T Dupont web site, the box and pen, and the order paperwork I realised I had the small brown Atelier, model 410713, where the order and invoice were for the larger model, 410699.

I have just finished writing to the vendor. I have dealt with them before and they have an excellent reputation so at this point I am not worried. Given that exchange would mean shipping around the planet after there-and-back-again, I am considering whether I should simply accept having a smaller pen (it's different, and I am not trying to create a set) given some reimbursement. Waiting and considering.

Along with my best wishes to your situation, I am very excited to see their comparison in real life.

Thank you. Which make me worry about the brown one is their color. In pictures it a little bit shallow and lack of depth. What is your experience?

Along with my best wishes to your situation, I am very excited to see their comparison in real life.

Of my 30 or so ST Dupont pens, none have ever lacked depth.

My Website

Of my 30 or so ST 3Dupont pens, none have ever lacked depth.

If only there are some pictures of these Atelier fps like your Vertigos's....