St Dupont And Caran D'ache

Mastiff

Another question, if I may.

I did hear that ST Dupont won't include converters for entry level pens. Is a limited edition premium line D considered an entry level pen in Dupont? There was no converter in this pen.

Thank you!

I have never bought a ST Dupont pen that did not come with a converter. Sorry, if that is true it's news to me. Who did you buy from?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mastiff

• jar

• praxim

• manhha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A rather well known guy around here, an authorised dealer of ST Dupont. As the issue at hand is likely to be quite embarrassing for his business, I am not willing to publish his name here, but I'll PM you with the information. Thank you!

A rather well known guy around here, an authorised dealer of ST Dupont. As the issue at hand is likely to be quite embarrassing for his business, I am not willing to publish his name here, but I'll PM you with the information. Thank you!

Fortunately that model uses a Standard International converter so even if they don't ship them with the pens anymore it's an easy and inexpensive replacement.

• 5 months later...

Hi all, just reviving this somewhat old thread that I started last year to update you all.

So long story short, I ended up getting all the pens that I mentioned as candidates of purchase- actually more!

I since purchased:

• 2 x Montblanc 149s; one in Red Gold (BB) and one in Platinum (EF)
  • ST Dupont Renaissance Phoenix Premium (Broad) shown in the picture
  • Caran d'Ache Leman Grand Bleu (M)

I am waiting for the CdA to arrive soon so more pictures to come.

As accurately described by you guys, this ST Dupont is something else. Yes Montblanc is iconic and all but really I think the French take the fountain pens to a whole new level. I would rate it as one of my best purchases in the recent months. Very elegant, nice juicy smooth nib and the finish is to perfection without any inconsistencies. I am now considering adding more Dupont pens to my collection.

Thanks for all your help in deciding.

post-20415-0-42279100-1490681393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mastiff

Family shot with MB 149's.

Sorry the pictures are a bit out of focus. I accidentally washed my iphone in the washing machine and it is currently dead and I am using an old phone without any anti-shake correction function...

post-20415-0-92556000-1490682481_thumb.jpg

post-20415-0-30232000-1490682498_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mastiff

Hi all, just reviving this somewhat old thread that I started last year to update you all.

So long story short, I ended up getting all the pens that I mentioned as candidates of purchase- actually more!

I since purchased:

As accurately described by you guys, this ST Dupont is something else. Yes Montblanc is iconic and all but really I think the French take the fountain pens to a whole new level. I would rate it as one of my best purchases in the recent months. Very elegant, nice juicy smooth nib and the finish is to perfection without any inconsistencies. I am now considering adding more Dupont pens to my collection.

That is a GREAT looking Dupont Renaissance...

Too bad the images don't do it justice....I feel your pain regarding using the old phone for images...

The Dupont's are a truly under discussed and under appreciated Fountain Pen...I simply love them...GREAT writers out of the box....great attention to detail...

Similar comments about Caran d'ache and Graf Von Faber Castell...under appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to post...when you get a chance I for one would enjoy seeing more images of the Dupont Renaissance...it looks like a beauty.

Bill P

Thanks for your comments Bill. Absolutely true about your comment 'images don't do it justice'. When I first opened the box it was like love at first sight, far better than what I expected looking at online pictures. I've never felt this way about my pens so it was a very special feeling. I searched extensively on google (up to page 10... and not much luck) for pictures of this pen before the purchase and I came across this Taiwanese website (I didn't purchase from them I bought it from LCDC).

http://www.tylee.tw/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4902

No association and I can't even read Chinese so I had to navigate through, it took me some time. I think these people take really nice pictures and those pictures very closely resemble the pen at hand. Since then I have been using this site as a reference for looking up pictures of those less popular brand pens (eg Dupont....) whose pictures aren't that readily available online.

This picture from their website:

http://www.tylee.tw/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=37&product_id=5402&sort=p.price&order=DESC&page=2

influenced my decision to purchase the Caran d'Ache Grand Bleu. I hope it really looks like that! Again, it is nearly impossible to find realistic pictures of this pen online.. Anyway I also found out after the purchase that this pen was named the Pen of the Year 2017 at the 14th International Fountain Pen Awards!

Edited by Mastiff

I can only say that I owned 3 Duponts, all were terrible.

2 I managed to return, last one I forgot, and deadline passed.

On all 3 ink is drying up in the pen after 2-3 days of non-use, which is a big nono for me, also inconfortable in my hand and also not writing very well (not wet enough, and not smooth enough).

Will never make another attempt at Dupont.

And yes, all were the bigger size models with 18k nibs (1 Ellipsis and 2x Orpheo).

Well, to answer an example with an example, I have 3 Duponts and they are all superb.

Two of them are Montparnasse and one an Orient Express.

While it is true that my collecting interests lie more with three other brands, no way will I be releasing any of these pens and I would happily add another some time. All of them behave flawlessly with a bonus of that Dupont style and engineering quality.

X

Well, to answer an example with an example, I have 3 Duponts and they are all superb.

Two of them are Montparnasse and one an Orient Express.

While it is true that my collecting interests lie more with three other brands, no way will I be releasing any of these pens and I would happily add another some time. All of them behave flawlessly with a bonus of that Dupont style and engineering quality.

Yes, I remember your mention of the Orient Express! Beautiful pen, I was eyeing on that pen too for some time. I especially like the MoP on the cap top and the design of the barrel!

Well, looking to get rid of my last one - the Elipsis :)

Well put it on the classified! Let's see it, who knows I might be interested! (but given the description of poor writing quality and ink drying out of your pen already public I don't know whether you will have too much luck..)

I since purchased:

Absolutely stunning Dupont!!!

I think they are getting their mojo back after releasing some questionable pens in the last few years. This is a very welcome return to form and I hope you enjoy it very much.

The only problem with St Duponts is that once you buy one, it's a downward spiral from there financially, as your collection grows exponentially! I now have 6 Olympios and a Gatsby on the way, and they are all perfect writers and superbly comfortable in the hand (I don't post mine though), whilst looking out of this world at the same time.

I also have a 149 and a CD'A LeMan as well as a Varius Ivanhoe. The 149 is lovely to write with (OBBB nib) but a bit pedestrian to look at, and too big for me to carry daily. I have to say I am not as impressed with the Caran D'Ache pens, but maybe I'm spoiled by the Duponts. The quality of the lacquer and the engineering seems less refined, although they appear to be built like tanks. The one you have chosen though looks beautiful and I have seen pictures of one in the flesh and it looks as good as the marketing photographs. I hope you like it when it arrives.

Keep us posted.

Thanks aggoo!

Due to the need for a nib exchange there will be some dealy in receiving this pen. Its been 2 weeks + I think, hopefully I will have it sent sometime soon.

By the way the insurance company paid for a new Iphone. I was going to wait for the new model to be realease but there is nothing I can do.. I came home with a Product Red iphone 7 today (why am I not so excited?!)

• 4 weeks later...

Inspired by all the posts and your comments on ST Dupont I've made several changes to my order!

I've added a Black Mother of Pearl, Atelier Blue and Atelier Purple to my order!

I just had to complete the collection with regard to nib width: I will have one each of EF, F, M and B now!

Also, I have Caviar instead of Grand Bleu coming my way. I will update with pictures when I have the four pens in hand!

Inspired by all the posts and your comments on ST Dupont I've made several changes to my order!

I've added a Black Mother of Pearl, Atelier Blue and Atelier Purple to my order!

I just had to complete the collection with regard to nib width: I will have one each of EF, F, M and B now!

Also, I have Caviar instead of Grand Bleu coming my way. I will update with pictures when I have the four pens in hand!

great to hear that. I've just bought an Atelier Purple and absolutely love it. As you guys noted, Dupont is the high-end pen maker and they pay attention to every small details, The smoothness and reliability of the nib, the signature click-sound, the warmness of Chinese lacquer and the excellent weight make me become a die-hard Dupont fan.

I also got the 1996 Vertigo on the way. Will update some photos when it's on hand.

great to hear that. I've just bought an Atelier Purple and absolutely love it. As you guys noted, Dupont is the high-end pen maker and they pay attention to every small details, The smoothness and reliability of the nib, the signature click-sound, the warmness of Chinese lacquer and the excellent weight make me become a die-hard Dupont fan.

I also got the 1996 Vertigo on the way. Will update some photos when it's on hand.

Congratulations on your purchase Manhha!

Deciding to buy the Purple was a bit of adventure for me. I could not find a decent picture of it. I eventually found a fairly representative image on LcDc's instagram and took the plunge. Are you able to show us images of your Atelier Purple?

Congratulations on your purchase Manhha!

Deciding to buy the Purple was a bit of adventure for me. I could not find a decent picture of it. I eventually found a fairly representative image on LcDc's instagram and took the plunge. Are you able to show us images of your Atelier Purple?

my pleasure.

The Purple looks quite dark in these photos, but under sunlight it shines, fabulously shines.

post-126111-0-42971600-1493397734_thumb.jpgpost-126111-0-07490800-1493397741_thumb.jpg

Thanks Manhha. I like the fact that it is on the darker side, as fully fledged bright purple would not have been acceptable for me.

I also noted that this colour now seems to have been discontinued, so I think once the distributed stock is gone, it is really gone. Same with the Black MoP, I was told that I secured the very last pen ST Dupont Centre in Paris had in stock (!).

How do you guys like the new Atelier pens on the ST Dupont website? The sunburst blue, green and red?