St Dupont And Caran D'ache

Mastiff

Hi there. I am new to Dupont and currently don't own one. I come from Pelikan/MB/Omas/Nakaya/Visconti background (like most of us I guess)...

I've been intrigued by what I read on this subforum, about the quality and value of these pens and I am thinking about buying one. I don't care for older/vintage models and I am looking into D line/elysee and Lemans (well I do have a C/D limited edition but I never inked it)

One particular observation reading through the past relevant posts was that there appeared to be a distinct preference toward fine/extra fine nibs when it came to ST Dupont amongst our members. Is there any particular reason why? Also if you were to describe the characteristics of standard Dupont and/or C/D nibs what would they be similar to? From my limited experience with other makers, all were firm, with the exception of visconti dreamtouch and omas gold nibs which felt a little 'springy', as with some MB special editions which felt softer. Also would it be possible to view a writing sample comparing different nib sizes- with B included- if anyone is as lucky as to have a varied collection of these wonderful pens?

Thank you and I look forward to learning more about this brand.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mastiff

• jar

• praxim

• manhha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there. I am new to Dupont and currently don't own one. I come from Pelikan/MB/Omas/Nakaya/Visconti background (like most of us I guess)...

I've been intrigued by what I read on this subforum, about the quality and value of these pens and I am thinking about buying one. I don't care for older/vintage models and I am looking into D line/elysee and Lemans (well I do have a C/D limited edition but I never inked it)

One particular observation reading through the past relevant posts was that there appeared to be a distinct preference toward fine/extra fine nibs when it came to ST Dupont amongst our members. Is there any particular reason why? Also if you were to describe the characteristics of standard Dupont and/or C/D nibs what would they be similar to? From my limited experience with other makers, all were firm, with the exception of visconti dreamtouch and omas gold nibs which felt a little 'springy', as with some MB special editions which felt softer. Also would it be possible to view a writing sample comparing different nib sizes- with B included- if anyone is as lucky as to have a varied collection of these wonderful pens?

Thank you and I look forward to learning more about this brand.

I can't get you a writing sample since all of the ST Duponts (and Caran d'Ache) pens are locked away. I have a pretty full range of nib sizes from both makers and there are some general similarities. Both are use fairly stiff nibs that are super smooth and forgiving of the ink chosen. Generally the ST Dupont sections are considerably wider than those from Caran d'Ache. The "B" nibs from both are rounded with little line variation.

The "EF" nibs from ST Dupont are the smoothest "EF" nibs I have ever found from any maker period. Let me repeat that. The "EF" nibs from ST Dupont are the smoothest "EF" nibs I have ever found from any maker and I mean absolutely stunningly I don't believe this nib smooth. When I first bought an ST Dupont pen and it showed up with an "EF" nib I was all set to trade the nib to an acquaintance for his ST Dupont factory stub and I do like stub nibs. I love stub nibs. But he asked me to check the nib before we made the trade and one letter, one single character was sufficient to tell me that there would be no trade, no way, no how.

I'm not sure that even now I have been forgiven.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply jar. It was reading your posts that actually got me here in the first place!

Whilst the EF nib is extremely tempting, as it will be my first pen from the brand(s) I will continue to look into medium/broad (which can later be stubbed or narrowed depending on the experience).

I have to say ST Dupont sounds more attractive at this point, especially the new Phoenix pen, although those blue and caviar (???) lemans also look stunning.

Now, for a beginner who is prepared to buy only 1 more pen this year, which one would you recommend between the line-D and leman? Yes! I am asking for your personal opinion, whether it be biased or not, if that is ok. :)

Now, for a beginner who is prepared to buy only 1 more pen this year, which one would you recommend between the line-D and leman? Yes! I am asking for your personal opinion, whether it be biased or not, if that is ok. :)

I don't have either of those models so you are just getting a WAG (earlier definition than current Wives & Girlfriends, not appropriate to post but begins with Wild and ends with Guess).

I have a couple dozen ST Duponts but only four five Cd'As.

I will be selling some of mine and if you can live with Olympio/Orpheos or the Cd'A Geneve (the predecessor to the Leman) contact me back channel.

Edited by jar

I recently bought this on eBay, having browsed all of jar's posts; I have to say I'm rather impressed.

fpn_1475180229__olympio_drill.jpg

fpn_1475180947__img_0214.jpg

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I don't have either of those models so you are just getting a WAG (earlier definition than current Wives & Girlfriends, not appropriate to post but begins with Wild and ends with Guess).

I have a couple dozen ST Duponts but only four five Cd'As.

I will be selling some of mine and if you can live with Olympio/Orpheos or the Cd'A Geneve (the predecessor to the Leman) contact me back channel.

Thank Jar, at the moment, I am wanting to buy new, but I am sure I will be wanting more, so I'll keep an eye on your listings!

I recently bought this on eBay, having browsed all of jar's posts; I have to say I'm rather impressed.

fpn_1475180229__olympio_drill.jpg

fpn_1475180947__img_0214.jpg

That is a nice pen! Congratulations on your purchase.

From what I've read, there are many fakes out there, and even experts like Jar cannot tell them apart from the real thing, so for the time being I think I will only purchase from an AD or from fellow members here.

I am wanting to make a decision this weekend.. The choice will be between ST dupont line D blue on red + Caran d'Ache leman (don't know what colour) OR ST dupont phoenix OR MB149....

From what I've read, there are many fakes out there, and even experts like Jar cannot tell them apart from the real thing, so for the time being I think I will only purchase from an AD or from fellow members here.

I am wanting to make a decision this weekend.. The choice will be between ST dupont line D blue on red + Caran d'Ache leman (don't know what colour) OR ST dupont phoenix OR MB149....

There are some major ergonomic differences between those pens.

The ST Dupont sections are relatively long with a gentle slope and even the metal ones has some surface feel to help prevent slipping.

The Leman section is the narrowest of the group, really, really narrow but also slightly concave. If you hold a pen very, very lightly it can be great but if you grip with your fingers it can be fatiguing over long sessions.

The 149 has the widest section of the group but it is relatively short and almost no slope, more a cylinder than a cone.

The balance posted or unposted is best on the ST Duponts, then the C d'A and the 149 is quite different feel when posted. Also the cap must be put on pretty firmly to post. Generally I post ST Duponts and C d'As but use a 149 unposted.

I ended up ordering the MB149. It was a difficult decision between this and the Dupont line D but I just could not resist the temptation to try out the much spoken about 149 BB nib. It will take around 2 weeks for the pen to get to the AD that I purchased from, so hopefully in less than a month I'll have it in my hand. I hope I have not made a mistake.

I wasn't really prepared for this as I wanted to save the MB 149 for when I am a bit older but it happened..

For Caran d'Ache, I've lost a bit of interest, and as for the Dupont, it is currently on my list for the December round of pen purchases, so I haven't entirely given up.

Thanks again for your advice!

For future reference...

I have both the S.T. Dupont D line (M nib) and Caran d'Ache Leman (M and F nibs). First, they are two of my favorite pens. There are a lot of similarities between the two. High quality all-metal construction (they both feel hefty in the hand) with smooth and stiff nibs. I find the Dupont nibs a bit wetter. The main difference is the section. The tapered CdA section is quite narrow, too narrow for my liking in fact; so I usually hold the CdA higher, where the cap threads onto the barrel (the threads are smooth and comfortable).

30069554415_eec4c4bf2f_b.jpg

30035675056_486a11f221_b.jpg

P.S. Jar, will you have a large Dupont Montparnasse in black for sale? I'd be interested.

Thanks John. Yes the narrow section had been repeatedly mentioned here by Jar and others and elsewhere SBRE Brown etc.

I don't write much but it indeed was concerning when I was trying to decide.

That line D is lovely!

Thanks John. Yes the narrow section had been repeatedly mentioned here by Jar and others and elsewhere SBRE Brown etc.

I don't write much but it indeed was concerning when I was trying to decide.

That line D is lovely!

The new Leman (currently in Lilac or Amazon Green) has a more conventional looking section now; the band ring now sits around the cap lip.

The style has lost some of its individuality but might be more comfortable to use.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

The new Leman (currently in Lilac or Amazon Green) has a more conventional looking section now; the band ring now sits around the cap lip.

The style has lost some of its individuality but might be more comfortable to use.

Thanks Roger. I did not know this. BTW Amazon green is such a unique colour.

Just wanted to report that I ended up ordering a ST Dupont LineD as well!

The wait time for MB149 BB was too long for me to handle, and I needed something to play with in the mean time!

I'll upload some pictures when it arrives next week.

Cheers!

Glad you have some good pens to look forward to enjoying in sequence :)

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I thought I might update you all!

I finally received my new Dupont lineD pen this afternoon. Yes the meteorite pen! Wow what a beauty!

Exactly as Jar and others described the pen is made to the highest quality.

BUT..... there was a nasty scratch mark on the cap.. Not a slight scuff but actually 'engraved' into the lacquer. From my reading on the Dupont lacquer they are meant to be very resistant so I don't believe this is from storage. I think either this is a factory defect or mishandling at some point.

I've written back to the seller but it will mean more waiting.. more sleepless nights and fervent checking of track and trace..all over again......... Very disappointing...

Hopefully I can get a prompt resolution with this problem.. In the mean time, my next order, 149 to arrive soon won't disappoint me! (Now that would be too much wouldn't it?)

post-20415-0-64012900-1476422437_thumb.jpeg

I thought I might update you all!

I finally received my new Dupont lineD pen this afternoon. Yes the meteorite pen! Wow what a beauty!

Exactly as Jar and others described the pen is made to the highest quality.

BUT..... there was a nasty scratch mark on the cap.. Not a slight scuff but actually 'engraved' into the lacquer. From my reading on the Dupont lacquer they are meant to be very resistant so I don't believe this is from storage. I think either this is a factory defect or mishandling at some point.

I've written back to the seller but it will mean more waiting.. more sleepless nights and fervent checking of track and trace..all over again......... Very disappointing...

Hopefully I can get a prompt resolution with this problem.. In the mean time, my next order, 149 to arrive soon won't disappoint me! (Now that would be too much wouldn't it?)

Just a few things to consider. IIRC that pen is not Laque de Chine but rather a regular high grade lacquer. While probably of very high quality (ST Dupont also used a non-natural lacquer on the Shaman for clarity) it will not have exactly the same properties as Urushi. But even urushi can chip or scratch but it really should be done by you, not before you get it.

Urushi can never be made totally transparent and so when that characteristic is needed then a commercial lacquer is the better choice.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the comments Jar. Yes I did suspect that. I don't recall seeing the lacquer de chine marking on the pen- it is repacked already, ready to be shipped back to where it should belong, not my house.

When I unboxed it, the scratches were smiling at me, facing up... It was particularly hurtful and offensive as I very strongly asked the seller to fully and completely inspect all aspects of the pen before sending it to me, as it is usually very troublesome for international refund/replacement etc.

Anyway, I guess I'm back to square one with regard to the Dupont purchase now!

Another question, if I may.

I did hear that ST Dupont won't include converters for entry level pens. Is a limited edition premium line D considered an entry level pen in Dupont? There was no converter in this pen.

Thank you!