For 51 Plum Hunters

mitto

My plum was like Mitto's. A like-new plum with a gold-filled cap for $30 that I bought with a similar grey "51" for $30 each. I thought it was black until I took it outside in the sunlight.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• farmersmums

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's pretty good luck. I would guestimate your pens are each worth in the two hundred dollar range. In collecting anything you will have "What A Find!" things happen over time. Fortuna fortes.

I agreee.

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT.

Khan M. Ilyas

My plum was like Mitto's. A like-new plum with a gold-filled cap for $30 that I bought with a similar grey "51" for $30 each. I thought it was black until I took it outside in the sunlight.

So we are almost in the same league. Mine, too, was with a gold filled cap.

Khan M. Ilyas

What a Find! Congratulations. Interesting happenings.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Got mine from a thrift shop too, for about €25. I only realized at home that it was Plum...

A couple of weeks ago, I almost bought one here on FPN for $275 but the deal failed because of exchange rates and shipping costs.

25383986439_54d074c1ff_o.jpg

C.

That's a great photo of exemplars, but for anyone wondering about the "Mac" vs "PC" in the side-by-side frames, that's a bit obsolete. Macintosh operating systems prior to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) used a different gamma setting for monitors and graphics. However, anyone with a Mac using an operating system released this decade should be looking at the right hand frame, along with our PC brethren.

Going cheap. Just for 75 GBP.

http://www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk/product/no5959-parker-51-aerometric-in-plum-with-a-lustralloy-cap-smooth-medium-nib/

But it has an octanium nib. Is it really a Plum?

I would expect this seller to know the difference, and also expect him to price it correctly. but I am inclined to think it is not a plum.

Academic as it is no longer in stock.

Here is an available set for sale

Clearly, it's high time I sold my set. I am a retired geezer too. Best to join them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The color is very hard to photograph if there are no other colors like black or burgundy for comparison side by side.

30658410832_bad73fc5cb_h.jpg

That's why these still can be found coincidentally on ebay or thrift shops. On the other hand, you never can be sure what you're bidding for at online auctions.

C.

Edited by christof

I would expect this seller to know the difference, and also expect him to price it correctly. but I am inclined to think it is not a plum.

Academic as it is no longer in stock.

Hard to tell from the photos (one looked as if it were *possible*, but the other not so much...) -- but the date code is wrong. So I would also say Burgundy.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hard to tell from the photos (one looked as if it were *possible*, but the other not so much...) -- but the date code is wrong. So I would also say Burgundy.

Which one are you referring to, the first, sold, one, or the second still for sale at 350 GBP? The second one, with a nine no dots date code, is that after the end of plum production?

Which one are you referring to, the first, sold, one, or the second still for sale at 350 GBP? The second one, with a nine no dots date code, is that after the end of plum production?

The first one -- the one that northlodge said was no longer available. I looked at the link and the date code was 1950. Also, because it had an cranium nib, I'm wondering if it's actually a 51 Special (did they make Specials in Plum? I don't actually know...; but I'm betting not).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The first one -- the one that northlodge said was no longer available. I looked at the link and the date code was 1950. Also, because it had an cranium nib, I'm wondering if it's actually a 51 Special (did they make Specials in Plum? I don't actually know...; but I'm betting not).

The first one was said by the seller to have had a 50s date code. What I am less sure about is whether plums were made all the way to the end of 1949. For some reason I am thinking that plum production ceased prior to the fourth calendar quarter of 1949. There has been a lot of discussion about plums here. What do I know, though? I was only a year old in 1949.

The first one was said by the seller to have had a 50s date code. What I am less sure about is whether plums were made all the way to the end of 1949. For some reason I am thinking that plum production ceased prior to the fourth calendar quarter of 1949. There has been a lot of discussion about plums here. What do I know, though? I was only a year old in 1949.

Well, I couldn't tell you one way or the other -- mine is 1st quarter '49. But I've read that Plum was only made for the 1948-49 model year. I just don't know what Parker's definition of "model year" was.

Folks,

I have 2 full sized plums, dating 1949 Q4. No debate at all - no dots or scratches or marks anywhere the the clear 9 imprints

Left to right

Uk british burgundy, plum 9, plum 9, usa burgundy approx 1951

Cheers, paul

post-25072-0-45088000-1480106795_thumb.jpeg

post-25072-0-91346200-1480106808_thumb.jpeg

You are right. Mine turns out to be nine, no dots. Last quarter of forty-nine.

Folks,

I have 2 full sized plums, dating 1949 Q4. No debate at all - no dots or scratches or marks anywhere the the clear 9 imprints

Left to right

Uk british burgundy, plum 9, plum 9, usa burgundy approx 1951

Cheers, paul

Yours colors look really "true" on my screen, this should be a good reference.