For 51 Plum Hunters

mitto

Perhaps the buyer has got some remedy to polish away / fill the 'MEE'. Or may be s/he needed the hood so badly. Or as you say s/he got it wrong altogether.

Absolutely, or a new barrell, all adds to the cost of a pen that wasnt cheap.

Perhaps their name suited the personalisation.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• farmersmums

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to sell Parker 51s on here for 45-70$ and thought that was fine, basically for FPN members and avoiding the hassle of ebay, obviously time to reconsider.

Edited by Beechwood

Good luck to the buyer finding a new plum barrel. I have seen some attempted removals of personalizations on Parker 51s that were hideous. One ground so deep into a forest green barrel that I ended up changing the pen to midnight blue, because at the time I couldn't find a forest green barrel. Better to work any contrasting coloring out of the impressed letters to make the personalization less conspicuous. Then again, these personalizations were fairly common on pens at the time, so they are a part of the times and the heritage. It can be interesting to have one or two as examples. After all, if you collect 51s, you are not collecting 2016 pens, you are collecting 1940s to 1970s pens, mostly 1950s probably.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I suppose you think the pen is plum. I am not so sure, based on what I see of the filler sheath. I submitted a question to the seller about whether there is a date code on the barrel or not. That might clarify the issue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I suppose you think the pen is plum. I am not so sure, based on what I see of the filler sheath. I submitted a question to the seller about whether there is a date code on the barrel or not. That might clarify the issue.

No. I, too, am not sure. But the pen in some pics looks darker than burgundy and a bit purplish.

And yes, the date code may help to some extent.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

The seller sent me an ebay message that the date code is 8, so plum is not excluded. I gave him info on the dots for quarter of manufacture and suggested he post that info in the item description (i.e. how many dots the 8 might have around it).

Edited by pajaro

None of the pictures look remotely like plum to me. If I was a betting person I'd be plunking down for burgundy and feeling pretty confident.

That would be the best strategy to accidentally snatch something 'good'.

Khan M. Ilyas

The seller sent me an ebay message that the date code is 8, so plum is not excluded. I gave him info on the dots for quarter of manufacture and suggested he post that info in the item description (i.e. how many dots the 8 might have around it).

The seller has added the information you have him/her to the description of the pen and has further posed a question as to what the 8 would mean as there are no dots.

Khan M. Ilyas

Bruce of Ocala, FL, would have tried to convince the seller not to publish information he requested in Q an A. It's not important to me, because I am not intending to bid on this pen. I gave the seller the info on what the dots mean in the first reply. I sent it again. His pic sent to me revealed the pen to be plainly burgundy. It is not plum.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/1~UAAOSw-CpYA4hH/$_0.JPG

I had hoped to clarify this color issue in hopes of saving somebody from paying too much, on the chance that the pen would turn out to be plum.

Edited by pajaro

Bruce of Ocala, FL, would have tried to convince the seller not to publish information he requested in Q an A. It's not important to me, because I am not intending to bid on this pen. I gave the seller the info on what the dots mean in the first reply. I sent it again. His pic sent to me revealed the pen to be plainly burgundy. It is not plum.

I had hoped to clarify this color issue in hopes of saving somebody from paying too much, on the chance that the pen would turn out to be plum.

You did good. Thank you.

Khan M. Ilyas

That would be the best strategy to accidentally snatch something 'good'.

It's hard to tell with one way or the other with that listing. Some of the photos made it look more like Burgundy, but some did make it look Plum (and that's the problem -- Plum doesn't photograph well, or look like Plum unless you have it in sunlight).

If you bid and win and it's Burgundy (agreeing that it probably *isn't* Brown), it's not a bad price (at least at it currently stands). If you bid and win and it *is* Plum, it's a great price). And I will probably hate you forever (just sayin'... B)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's hard to tell with one way or the other with that listing. Some of the photos made it look more like Burgundy, but some did make it look Plum (and that's the problem -- Plum doesn't photograph well, or look like Plum unless you have it in sunlight).

If you bid and win and it's Burgundy (agreeing that it probably *isn't* Brown), it's not a bad price (at least at it currently stands). If you bid and win and it *is* Plum, it's a great price). And I will probably hate you forever (just sayin'... B)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Observe the pic I received from the seller:

That is burgundy. There are no dreams of plums to dance through one's head.

The pen is a fairly nice 1948 last quarter burgundy 51, and, if the price remains low, it will be good for somebody's collection. .

• 4 weeks later...

Observe the pic I received from the seller:

That is burgundy. There are no dreams of plums to dance through one's head.

The pen is a fairly nice 1948 last quarter burgundy 51, and, if the price remains low, it will be good for somebody's collection. .

Shall there be dreams of Plum dancing through one's head about this one?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351902799714

Khan M. Ilyas

I would like to see a side-by-side photo of plum, burgundy, and cordovan. I have a cordovan, but wasn't sure if it might be burgundy.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

​Can't help with your request exactly, but if you look in the 51 book - page 67 - you will see colour comparisons between UK burgundy, plum and USA dark burgundy - allegedly under bright lighting. It makes you think that there couldn't ever be a mistake over plum, but of course that doesn't take into account the vagaries of individual pc screens, and ageing eyes. :D

I know that when I've looked at grey on ebay, it sometimes appears green, but then there are some not too good photographers there who probably wouldn't know a quality photo if it jumped up and bit them.

I could imagine that a poor quality picture of plum and cordovan might be confusing.

Edited by PaulS

"but if you look in the 51 book - page 67 - you will see colour comparisons"

Not familiar with this book.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost