The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

For 51 Plum Hunters

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#41 OilMugs

OilMugs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:40

Perhaps the buyer has got some remedy to polish away / fill the 'MEE'. Or may be s/he needed the hood so badly. Or as you say s/he got it wrong altogether.

Absolutely, or a new barrell, all adds to the cost of a pen that wasnt cheap.

Perhaps their name suited the personalisation.

Using the pronoun I more than once in any post means that you are boring, pompous and would be better posting elsewhere, in fact anywhere.

Sponsored Content

#42 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:16

I used to sell Parker 51s on here for 45-70$ and thought that was fine, basically for FPN members and avoiding the hassle of ebay, obviously time to reconsider.

Edited by Beechwood, 12 October 2016 - 05:08.

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.
Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly.

Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

#43 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2016 - 16:34

Good luck to the buyer finding a new plum barrel.  I have seen some attempted removals of personalizations on Parker 51s that were hideous.  One ground so deep into a forest green barrel that I ended up changing the pen to midnight blue, because at the time I couldn't find a forest green barrel.  Better to work any contrasting coloring out of the impressed letters to make the personalization less conspicuous.  Then again, these personalizations were fairly common on pens at the time, so they are a part of the times and the heritage.  It can be interesting to have one or two as examples.  After all, if you collect 51s, you are not collecting 2016 pens, you are collecting 1940s to 1970s pens, mostly 1950s probably. 

Edited by pajaro, 11 October 2016 - 19:57.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#44 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:36

S/he is not sure if it is a burgundy or brown. So guess what the color is?

http://m.ebay.com/it...5c6f%7Ciid%3A20
Khan

#45 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 16:17

S/he is not sure if it is a burgundy or brown. So guess what the color is?

http://m.ebay.com/it...5c6f%7Ciid%3A20

I suppose you think the pen is plum.  I am not so sure, based on what I see of the filler sheath.  I submitted a question to the seller about whether there is a date code on the barrel or not.  That might clarify the issue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#46 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2016 - 17:24

I suppose you think the pen is plum.  I am not so sure, based on what I see of the filler sheath.  I submitted a question to the seller about whether there is a date code on the barrel or not.  That might clarify the issue.

No. I, too, am not sure. But the pen in some pics looks darker than burgundy and a bit purplish.

And yes, the date code may help to some extent.

Edited by mitto, 15 October 2016 - 17:26.

Khan

#47 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:23

The seller sent me an ebay message that the date code is 8, so plum is not excluded.  I gave him info on the dots for quarter of manufacture and suggested he post that info in the item description (i.e. how many dots the 8 might have around it).

Edited by pajaro, 16 October 2016 - 02:24.

#48 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• All Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:52

None of the pictures look remotely like plum to me.  If I was a betting person I'd be plunking down for burgundy and feeling pretty confident.

#49 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:23

None of the pictures look remotely like plum to me.  If I was a betting person I'd be plunking down for burgundy and feeling pretty confident.

That would be the best strategy to accidentally snatch something 'good'.
Khan

#50 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 13:23

Did it flew under the radar? Someone got it for $98.79.

http://m.ebay.com/it...n-/142077482576

Edited by mitto, 16 October 2016 - 14:00.

Khan

#51 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 15:53

The seller sent me an ebay message that the date code is 8, so plum is not excluded.  I gave him info on the dots for quarter of manufacture and suggested he post that info in the item description (i.e. how many dots the 8 might have around it).

The seller has added the information you have him/her to the description of the pen and has further posed a question as to what the 8 would mean as there are no dots.
Khan

#52 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 19:10

Bruce of Ocala, FL, would have tried to convince the seller not to publish information he requested in Q an A.  It's not important to me, because I am not intending to bid on this pen.  I gave the seller the info on what the dots mean in the first reply.  I sent it again.  His pic sent to me revealed the pen to be plainly burgundy.  It is not plum. 

$_0.JPG

I had hoped to clarify this color issue in hopes of saving somebody from paying too much, on the chance that the pen would turn out to be plum.

Edited by pajaro, 16 October 2016 - 19:12.

#53 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2016 - 20:10

Bruce of Ocala, FL, would have tried to convince the seller not to publish information he requested in Q an A.  It's not important to me, because I am not intending to bid on this pen.  I gave the seller the info on what the dots mean in the first reply.  I sent it again.  His pic sent to me revealed the pen to be plainly burgundy.  It is not plum. 

$_0.JPG

I had hoped to clarify this color issue in hopes of saving somebody from paying too much, on the chance that the pen would turn out to be plum.

You did good. Thank you.
Khan

#54 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:35

That would be the best strategy to accidentally snatch something 'good'.

It's hard to tell with one way or the other with that listing.  Some of the photos made it look more like Burgundy, but some did make it look Plum (and that's the problem -- Plum doesn't photograph well, or look like Plum unless you have it in sunlight).  

If you bid and win and it's Burgundy (agreeing that it probably *isn't* Brown), it's not a bad price (at least at it currently stands).  If you bid and win and it *is* Plum, it's a great price).  And I will probably hate you forever (just sayin'...  B)).  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#55 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2016 - 16:30

It's hard to tell with one way or the other with that listing.  Some of the photos made it look more like Burgundy, but some did make it look Plum (and that's the problem -- Plum doesn't photograph well, or look like Plum unless you have it in sunlight).  

If you bid and win and it's Burgundy (agreeing that it probably *isn't* Brown), it's not a bad price (at least at it currently stands).  If you bid and win and it *is* Plum, it's a great price).  And I will probably hate you forever (just sayin'...  B)).  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Observe the pic I received from the seller:

$_0.JPG

That is burgundy.  There are no dreams of plums to dance through one's head.

The pen is a fairly nice 1948 last quarter burgundy 51, and, if the price remains low, it will be good for somebody's collection.  . 

#56 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2016 - 15:41

Observe the pic I received from the seller:
$_0.JPG

That is burgundy.  There are no dreams of plums to dance through one's head.

The pen is a fairly nice 1948 last quarter burgundy 51, and, if the price remains low, it will be good for somebody's collection.  . 

Shall there be dreams of Plum dancing through one's head about this one?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/351902799714
Khan

#57 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 15:27

I would like to see a side-by-side photo of plum, burgundy, and cordovan. I have a cordovan, but wasn't sure if it might be burgundy.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#58 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 17:17

​Can't help with your request exactly, but if you look in the 51 book - page 67 - you will see colour comparisons between UK burgundy, plum and USA dark burgundy - allegedly under bright lighting.            It makes you think that there couldn't ever be a mistake over plum, but of course that doesn't take into account the vagaries of individual pc screens, and ageing eyes. :D

I know that when I've looked at grey on ebay, it sometimes appears green, but then there are some not too good photographers there who probably wouldn't know a quality photo if it jumped up and bit them.

I could imagine that a poor quality picture of plum and cordovan might be confusing.

Edited by PaulS, 15 November 2016 - 17:20.

#59 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 17:41

"but if you look in the 51 book - page 67 - you will see colour comparisons"

Not familiar with this book.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#60 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2016 - 17:53

Here they are side by side. All four of them. Plum, blood red, burgundy and cordovan.

http://parkerpens.ne...-collection.jpg
Khan

Sponsored Content

|