For 51 Plum Hunters

mitto

And the clear sac?

That can be seen in picture #2 of farmersmum post #246. I believe it is the same pen that I and you, pajaro, thought was burgundy. Now I know how deceiving Plum pictures can be if not taken in the right amount of light and in the right background setting.

Wonder if farmersmum would tell us about the tips that lead him to believe the pen, that we thought was a burgundy, actually was a plum. :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• farmersmums

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That can be seen in picture #2 of farmersmum post #246. I believe it is the same pen that I and you, pajaro, thought was burgundy. Now I know how deceiving Plum pictures can be if not taken in the right amount of light and in the right background setting.

Wonder if farmersmum would tell us about the tips that lead him to believe the pen, that we thought was a burgundy, actually was a plum. :)

fpn_1510267483__img_6702.jpg

Here's a picture of the sac- it was indeed clear, and there was just a bit of blue ink around the nib which makes me think it was dipped but probably never filled. The overall condition of the pen is excellent.

Mitto, to your query: the points indicating the possibility of Plum were the early chromed filler sheath, transitional Lustraloy cap, and the photo from post 246 which to me looked fairly purple.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

Here's a picture of the sac- it was indeed clear, and there was just a bit of blue ink around the nib which makes me think it was dipped but probably never filled. The overall condition of the pen is excellent.

Mitto, to your query: the points indicating the possibility of Plum were the early chromed filler sheath, transitional Lustraloy cap, and the photo from post 246 which to me looked fairly purple.

Thanks. Lucky you! You must have got a good deal on the pen. Sumguyish?

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanls. I like looking at clear sacs on 51s. I have had some in my time, but I mostly used them or sold them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The only clear sac I had was the one I had Danny Fudge replace on my Teal Aero a few years ago. And that only lasted until I filled the pen with Sailor Jentle Sky High (old version). Now the sac is stained bright blue....

But of course my problem with unused pens is similar to that of toys still in the original box: what's the point? I have a bunch of books that I could probably get a reasonably large amount of money for, should I ever sell the set -- just based on provenance (some of them were my mom's when she was a kid, and there are people who would buy them just because of who my mother was). I could probably get more if they were in pristine condition. But they're not. They're books. My mom and uncle read them growing up (some of them, anyway) my parents read them to me and my brother when we were too little to read them for ourselves, and then my brother and I read them when we were kids (and I suspect that my grandmother read them to my mom and uncle before they were old enough to read them for *themselves*). The dust jackets are missing in some instances (and covered with clear contact paper in others); there's Scotch tape on the rips on the pages in some. But they were read, repeatedly, and loved. And I could still make a fair profit on them if I offered them to the right bunch of people even in the condition they're in. Except of course I'm not.... Maybe I should sit down and re-read them all -- in order -- sometime time, even though they're children's books.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The only clear sac I had was the one I had Danny Fudge replace on my Teal Aero a few years ago. And that only lasted until I filled the pen with Sailor Jentle Sky High (old version). Now the sac is stained bright blue....

But of course my problem with unused pens is similar to that of toys still in the original box: what's the point? I have a bunch of books that I could probably get a reasonably large amount of money for, should I ever sell the set -- just based on provenance (some of them were my mom's when she was a kid, and there are people who would buy them just because of who my mother was). I could probably get more if they were in pristine condition. But they're not. They're books. My mom and uncle read them growing up (some of them, anyway) my parents read them to me and my brother when we were too little to read them for ourselves, and then my brother and I read them when we were kids (and I suspect that my grandmother read them to my mom and uncle before they were old enough to read them for *themselves*). The dust jackets are missing in some instances (and covered with clear contact paper in others); there's Scotch tape on the rips on the pages in some. But they were read, repeatedly, and loved. And I could still make a fair profit on them if I offered them to the right bunch of people even in the condition they're in. Except of course I'm not.... Maybe I should sit down and re-read them all -- in order -- sometime time, even though they're children's books.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

When I was young and earned quite a lot of money :) during my postings in my Country's Diplomatic Missions in foreign capitals, my work colleagues would call me a MAD BOY as I would spend nearly 80% of my earnings on purchase of books. Now I have literally unmanagably large personal library. I would, however, never sell my books. If in case I found out my children were not showing the kind of interst in books that I want them to, I would rather donate these to some local public libraries or public sector universties/educational institutions.

One thing, my books are all NOS :) and in pristine condition and mostly are reference books.

I am proud of the fact that I inhereted the love for books, pens and writing from my father who was a reasercher, author and writer.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

That's a beautiful set mitto, and the caps are lovely. If I wanted another burgundy set this would be a good candidate. Looks burgundy to me though... but y'all know my plum picker isn't very good ;)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

That's a beautiful set mitto, and the caps are lovely. If I wanted another burgundy set this would be a good candidate. Looks burgundy to me though... but y'all know my plum picker isn't very good ;)

Burgundy. But why is it so dark that it looks almost black? :)

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Burgundy. The dark 51 colors all can look black.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I think burgundy too, but it's interesting for being marked "Made in Canada". Based purely on personal experience it seems there are far fewer 51's made in Canada than in the USA or England.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...

I think burgundy too, but it's interesting for being marked "Made in Canada". Based purely on personal experience it seems there are far fewer 51's made in Canada than in the USA or England.

I have only ever seen one made in Canada. I should have kept it.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a long look at the color and at the filler casing. Casing looks correct for that period of 1949, looks like mine. I bid on one of these like this that went for about $422. Possibly in 2002 or thereabouts. I am not convinced the nib is medium. I am watching it.

I took a long look at the color and at the filler casing. Casing looks correct for that period of 1949, looks like mine. I bid on one of these like this that went for about $422. Possibly in 2002 or thereabouts. I am not convinced the nib is medium. I am watching it.

Yes, pajaro. Pens looks correct for the period. And the nib, as you say, does not look medium. Looks more like a F. However, pen, overall, looks to be in very good condition. Stay tuned. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

If you look at the seller's last picture, you might think the pen looks burgundy. The surface looks pretty scarred. Bummer.

The Syndicate took a look. Pen is a Plum and it is correct.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Slute to the syndicate.

One might note the location of the pen as a point of interest.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.