The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

For 51 Plum Hunters

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#1 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:31

Looks to be NOS Plum. Isn't it? Best for all.

http://m.ebay.com/it...dac23%7Ciid%3A8
Khan

Sponsored Content

#2 OilMugs

OilMugs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:55

If I was a betting man, it would be interesting to have a wager on the final price, my offer is USD330

Using the pronoun I more than once in any post means that you are boring, pompous and would be better posting elsewhere, in fact anywhere.

#3 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 13:46

You may be right on the price. I am still on the hunt for a 51 plum pencil. Heck just need the barrel, have plenty of black 51 pencils i can part out..

#4 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 15:35

You may be right on the price. I am still on the hunt for a 51 plum pencil. Heck just need the barrel, have plenty of black 51 pencils i can part out..

You should check out penamie.co.uk or pentooling.com but I warn you… the prices are a bit high!

#5 Parkette

Parkette

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 15:51

I arrive in England on Thursday for the pen show, I will see what is available.

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2016 - 16:36

Nice plum.  Around 2003 or 2004 I lost out on an ebay sale of a plum NOS stickered that sold about $425.  I am watching this with interest.  I have mothballed my 51s, but a few pens still grab my interest.  Plum 51s and Sheaffer school pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 OilMugs

OilMugs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 16:49

I arrive in England on Thursday for the pen show, I will see what is available.

Cannot recall many pencils on sale and you will be very lucky to find a plum 51 pencil

Using the pronoun I more than once in any post means that you are boring, pompous and would be better posting elsewhere, in fact anywhere.

#8 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 16:24

The ebay newbie here is beating himself to death by reacting to every bid to keep himself on top. 

To the newbie:  save yourself some money and snipe the auction with a sniping program.  You can use the program to monitor the auction more quickly.  Recommended snipe amount:  $600.

Edited by pajaro, 28 September 2016 - 16:25.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 16:36

Good advice. But would she/he listen to you?
Khan

#10 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 19:49

Good advice. But would she/he listen to you?

No, it's often a one-upmanship kind of thing, "they're not going to beat me." Logic is often lost in the struggle..

#11 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,795 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2016 - 21:06

I found out when I least expect to find something that is when I get the bargain.

#12 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:11

It is exactly the same with me. Patience, and you come across an anexpected bargain.
Khan

#13 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:11

Collecting anything is a long term exercise.  Patience is always the watchword.  I sought a Plum 51 for many years before sniping an auction manually.  I would zero in on an auction that appeared promising and then a newbie battle would shoot the price way up.  They are determined to prevail.  Must be an ego thing.  This sale promises more of the same.  I thought I would want this NOS 51.  Then I got to thinking "why?"  I am pretty much done with 51s and have relegated them to a pen tray. 

#14 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:50

JotterAddict is so right. The number of fantastic pens I've won as the only bidder because no one else noticed... totally unexpectedly!

Sniping is very good for self-discipline - set your snipe and walk away, then you don't get into that 'I must win! I *must* win!' mentality.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#15 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:57

On occasions, I was able to snag stuff on half (or even less) the price I was willing to pay. Patience almost always pays.

Edited by mitto, 29 September 2016 - 11:33.

Khan

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:34

The pictures sure do look like it's a Plummer....  Too rich for my blood.  And I was kinda put off by the snotty response to the question about the condition of the sac sleeve and possible corrosion.

If the person who asked the question happens to be on FPN, the answer -- more politely than what the seller's was -- is that, no, that doesn't look much like corrosion (the sac sleeve on my Plum Demi has a lot of corrosion, but I didn't mind getting a user grade pen, because I got it to write with, not to put into a display box...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

Edited by inkstainedruth, 30 September 2016 - 07:35.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#17 pajaro

pajaro

• Member - Gold

• 10,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2016 - 21:46

The pictures sure do look like it's a Plummer....  Too rich for my blood.  And I was kinda put off by the snotty response to the question about the condition of the sac sleeve and possible corrosion.

If the person who asked the question happens to be on FPN, the answer -- more politely than what the seller's was -- is that, no, that doesn't look much like corrosion (the sac sleeve on my Plum Demi has a lot of corrosion, but I didn't mind getting a user grade pen, because I got it to write with, not to put into a display box...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

This sac cover does not look like the one that occasionally is found with corrosion or flaking plating.  That sac sleeve would be the one with the chrome-looking plating.  The one shown looks like one of the early aerometric metal sac covers with blackened writing.  The sac cover on the plum in the auction is unlikely to have corrosion.  I think it's stainless.

#18 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,670 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2016 - 15:01

Sold for $430.
Khan

#19 mitto

mitto