Maruzen Nihombashi Midori

visvamitra

fpn_1467547415__maruzen.jpg

Maruzen is a big brand department store in Japan. They carry their own line of pens and inks named Century and Athena. It seems most of their inks are made by Sailor. I'm not sure how many inks they offer at the moment but I know they have some stunning colors in the line up. It seems follwoing inks were / are offered to customers:

1. Akane (limited edidion, Nihomnashi branch)
  2. Eternal Blue
  3. Fukurou (2016 LE)
  4. Gyokuro
  5. Hatobanezu
  6. Kirin
  7. Koubai
  8. Lemon
  9. Midori
  10. Renga
  11. River Blue
  12. Sepia (Athena branch)

If anyone is able to complete the list, I would be grateful.

Tinjapan sent me a sample of two of their inks - Eternal Blue and Midori. Thank you Todd ;)

Midori was LE ink that's practically impossible to get at the moment. When I saw it in Gylyf review I was hooked and ready to seriously start looking for it. Happily I've received the sample and while I still think it's nice ink I'll tell you a secret. It's not special. It doesn't lubricate the nib as well as other Sailor inks, it's not very saturated in direr pens. Sure, the color is interesting and it's good ink but in order to make it shine you need special, wet pen. And in such a pen also cheaper inks that are easy to buy in Europe will look great.

fpn_1474918806__midori_maruzen_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1474918821__midori_maruzen_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1474918930__midori_maruzen_l_3.jpg

Color Range

fpn_1474918837__midori_maruzen_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Waterman Carene, fine nib

fpn_1474918950__midori_maruzen_t_1.jpg

fpn_1474918966__midori_maruzen_t_2.jpg

fpn_1474918977__midori_maruzen_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Sport Classic, B

fpn_1474918876__midori_maruzen_l_1.jpg

fpn_1474918919__midori_maruzen_l_2.jpg

fpn_1474918988__eternalblue_maruzen_l_5.

Kokuyo Campus, Lamy Al-Star, F

fpn_1474918849__midori_maruzen_k_1.jpg

fpn_1474918864__midori_maruzen_k_2.jpg

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• conib

• Cyber6

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for reviewing one of my favourite inks.I have a bottle and I think it's beautiful. I have many green inks but none are similar & it's so different to every other Sailor ink I have. It really is like translucent jade.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I agree - this ink needs a special set of circumstances to really shine. But when it shines, it's lovely! Still, having to baby an ink is not for everyone, and it's not always for me either. I wouldn't sell my bottle, but I don't reach for it often.

Thanks for the lovely review!

Thank you for reviewing one of my favourite inks.I have a bottle and I think it's beautiful. I have many green inks but none are similar & it's so different to every other Sailor ink I have. It really is like translucent jade.

The name translates to "jade".

Great review, as always! I do beg to differ somewhat - I think it's stunning. BUT, I've been using it in very wet, very broad nibs. If my Carène's F nib is anything like yours, I can definitely understand why you'd be underwhelmed.

I really like how it seems (in Vis' photos) to shade from a blue-leaning green in the lighter part of the stroke to a more yellow-leaning green in the darker part.

It would probably look a treat from a Pelikan M205 (probably looking very much like the stroke from the Kaweco Sport in Vis' photos).

I was a bit upset when I missed on buying this one, but not too bothered about it now since you said that it doesn't lubricate the nib like other sailor inks.

Thank you for the review.

Edited by Mew

Great review, as always! I do beg to differ somewhat - I think it's stunning. BUT, I've been using it in very wet, very broad nibs. If my Carène's F nib is anything like yours, I can definitely understand why you'd be underwhelmed.

+1... I adore this ink. I am green lover and have a bunch of green inks... (more than blue)... and nothing compares to this one. :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I really like how it seems (in Vis' photos) to shade from a blue-leaning green in the lighter part of the stroke to a more yellow-leaning green in the darker part.

It would probably look a treat from a Pelikan M205 (probably looking very much like the stroke from the Kaweco Sport in Vis' photos).

I'll have to fill my Pelikan with it when it's done with its current fill. :cD

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Hmmm.... This one is interesting. I kinda like the color even when it's in a pen that makes it look very pale (almost to the point of illegibility).

Thanks for the review... and not.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."