Impressive 3776 Performance

Ecriveur

I forgot about an inked up Platinum 3776 Stardust LE I had left in a secondary pen case. It was left sitting in that pen case for about three months, along with another fountain pen. When I finally discovered it, I uncapped it and it wrote perfectly, not the slightest trace of a hard start, as if I had just inked it up 15 minutes earlier. The same definitely cannot be said of the other fountain pen that was with it in the case. The performance of the 3776 in that situation was so impressive, I just had to mention it here.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• fabri00

• Bluey

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. This is why I purchased a second 3776. Marvelous pens for the money.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It has the clip&seal sistem, and this help to start writing immediately.

Very close: it's actually "slip-and-seal".

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It was soon after buying a 3776 that I started to stop chasing my tail looking for pens.

The pen is incredible in function and an utter joy to use. Its nib is expressive but without being fussy and, as you say, is as reliable (if not more so) than any other pen I own.

:) go the 3776 ! :)

...sorry...

No worries!

Remember it is the #3776 Century series that have the spring loaded inner cap and not all #3776s.

Indeed, important point.

~ Benjamin Franklin

In fact this special feature of the cap is very helpfull for keeping pens filled with Inks used not daily, or with difficult Inks like BSB.

It is available the same system also in the cheap preppy and in the plaisir. I have 2 plaisir Inked with bsb since probably a year, and they work very well.

The pen can often be a little scratchy unless you buy a medium or above. Also watch out for the converters - they're liable to seize up, so you need to grease them when you first get them. Mine dries out within seconds without the cap on, so that's not good.

Good flow of ink though.

Edited by Bluey

The pen can often be a little scratchy unless you buy a medium or above. Also watch out for the converters - they're liable to seize up, so you need to grease them when you first get them. Mine dries out within seconds without the cap on, so that's not good.

None of that is within my experience, though it is a very small sample set. The "Pur" that I have came with an F nib, and it has never needed a whisper of adjustment. I also haven't had any problems with Platinum converters, both in the Plats and a Nakaya. Maybe I'm just lucky.

~ Benjamin Franklin

The 3776 is a wonderful little pen and the nib is simply great. I just wish it was bit larger (but it does post well, if one doesn't mind posting).

But I agree that it dries out very, very quickly when uncapped, at least in my experience. Also, the converter is right up there with Sailor converters for the worst in the market (IMO) - even though I lubricate it frequently, it always feels like it is going to break.

Still, unbeatable pen for the price. Did I mention that the nib is fantastic? :)

None of that is within my experience, though it is a very small sample set. The "Pur" that I have came with an F nib, and it has never needed a whisper of adjustment. I also haven't had any problems with Platinum converters, both in the Plats and a Nakaya. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I dunno dude, there seems to be quite a few others besides me

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300337-platinum-converter-malfunctions/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305576-which-company-makes-the-worst-converters/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221515-nakaya-decapod-flow-problems/

There's plenty more.....

There's plenty more.....

Sure, I don't doubt that. Maybe my choice of inks somehow keeps me from having converter problems (and odd, no problems with my Sailors, either). I wouldn't have purchased a 2nd 3776 if the first hadn't been such a positive experience.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I picked up a Platinum 3776 Century today at Dromgoole's in Houston. I'd been in there Saturday and the staff and customers alike told me what a good pen it is and what a great bargain. One customer told me it was the perfect "desert island" pen. So today I became an owner, and a user. Been writing with it tonight. I'm as happy as a person can be after less than a day of ownership.

This seems the right place to ask the following question, since this thread is what raised the question for me in the first place: how does one lube the converter?

Appreciate the feedback.

"Venus de Milo has no arms."

This seems the right place to ask the following question, since this thread is what raised the question for me in the first place: how does one lube the converter?

Congrats on the new pen. :)

As for the lubrication, you'll want a little pure silicone grease; most of the online pen places sell a little container of it, or you can find it in plumbing supply places. For this application, you really only need a very small amount.

Remove the converter, and it would be best emptied of ink, flushed out, and dry. Place the piston at the rear of the converter by screwing clockwise. Put just a little tiny dab of the grease on the tip of a toothpick, no bigger than a sesame seed, and insert it carefully into the open end of the converter. You don't have to reach all the way back, but get it in at least a 1/4" past the metal part in the front. With the toothpick, smear the grease against the wall of the converter, trying to cover as much of the circumference as possible. Remove the toothpick, and then move the piston all the way from the back to the front, a few times, to allow the grease to apply itself to the gasket of the piston, and lubricate the wall of the converter. The amount will be small enough to not affect the ink, but do a good job of keeping the piston moving easily.

It is a lot easier than all that typing would imply! Honestly, there are probably YouTube vids that show this, as well.

In fact, here's one with an alternate method: removing the back of the converter! Either way should work, but give this a look...

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

That is very possible although I too have never had a problem with any of my Platinum converters and actually have been using them longer than I have been using Platinum pens. I first became familiar with Platinum cartridges and converters when looking for replacements for the Aurora Duocarts. That was likely over ten years ago, maybe even longer. I currently have a whole baggie full of Platinum converters and now also several Platinum and Nakaya pens that can use them but in the decade or so I've had any experience I have not had a single Platinum converter fail.

That is very possible although I too have never had a problem with any of my Platinum converters and actually have been using them longer than I have been using Platinum pens. I first became familiar with Platinum cartridges and converters when looking for replacements for the Aurora Duocarts. That was likely over ten years ago, maybe even longer. I currently have a whole baggie full of Platinum converters and now also several Platinum and Nakaya pens that can use them but in the decade or so I've had any experience I have not had a single Platinum converter fail.

Perhaps you've been a lucky cat.

In more than twenty years of using fountain pens, I had never had any converter fail, but I am on my third Platinum converter this year.

Thank you, Jon, for the instructions on how to apply silicon grease. I will try that approach next time.