Pacific Dawn At The Golden Gate - Noodler's

visvamitra

Noodler’s is one man show. The company was created in 2004 (?) by Nathan Tardiff who single-handedly sustain all company’s operations. I admire his creativity and willingness to experiment, innovate offer things other producers won’t.

I’ve received a sample of this ink from Lord Epic (thank you!). I’ll try to review it well but bear in mind I have mixed feelings about this one.

Let’s start with the name and concept behind the ink. The ink was prepared for SF Pen Show. Here’s the link to reddit post in which one of redditors shares Nathan Tardiff email describing the ink in following words:

Dear San Francisco,
August 25, 2016

“Pacific Dawn at the Golden Gate” is an attempt to depict San Francisco Bay in a fountain pen ink. The bay is often a deep and dark blue, and briefly is surrounded by the red of the dawn which is enhanced by the color of the bay bridge. At the paper fiber level one can see the boarders of the line and many high points of the paper structure that are red, and in a more explicit demonstration the red has migrated with the flow of water in a paper towel to show the ink’s “bridge”. (see photos of both attached)

The written line is a very conservative royal blue with only an occasional hint of red when used with italic and flex nibs on some paper grades. Most of the time it is just fine for any contract or serious business application, yet within it can be released an unexpected bi-color effect in certain circumstances. It is hoped those attending the San Francisco Pen Show might find this ink both quietly entertaining in its properties and utilitarian in its durability.

Nathan Tardif,

CEO and Founder Noodler’s Ink Co., LLC Massachusetts”

The man has its way with words, that’s sure :) So basically this ink doesn’t want to be purple but wants to include red component into blue base. I’m not sure if it’s done in a succesfull way. In sample vial and on the nib the ink looks blueish:

golden.jpg?w=940

On paper however it fastly turns into Blue/Black or Blueeish-grey or greyishblue with some reddish acents. I’m not sure I enjoy the result. The ink is extremelly wet. It simply gushes out of pen. On most papers it behaves decently but it can cause strong feathering on absorbent ones (Leuchtturm 1997).

It’s water resistant. After soaking in water blue/black mask is washed out and what stays on the page is blueish.

goldengate_h20.jpg?w=940

Ink splash

goldengate_noodlers_is.jpg?w=940

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

goldengate_noodlers_rk.jpg?w=940

Software ID

goldengate_l_3.jpg?w=940

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic, B

goldengate_t_1.jpg?w=940

goldengate_t_2.jpg?w=940

goldengate_t_3.jpg?w=940

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic, B

goldengate_l_1.jpg?w=940

goldengate_l_2.jpg?w=940

goldengate_l_4.jpg?w=940

Oxford, Jinhao 599, M

goldengate_ox_1.jpg?w=940

goldengate_ox_2.jpg?w=940

goldengate_ox_3.jpg?w=940

goldengate_ox_4.jpg?w=940

goldengate_ox_5.jpg?w=940

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• visvamitra

• Notgatherox

• lgsoltek

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. I found this ink very weird...

It spreads like crazy and feathers like a plucked chicken too... ON good paper is a bit better. Goes down a gorgeous DEEP dark Blue/Green and dries to a greyish blue matte. I will say is a very interesting ink ... for good paper only thou... ;)

ALSO... the ink was officially "released" at the SF Pen Show, but is an exclusive ink to "STRAITS PENS".. a Singapore store.

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Hello Vis,

You're welcome - keep the ink reviews coming, I love reading them!

Interesting observations by everyone - so far I've found no feathering on any paper I've used it on - even on lousy paper.

It's a bulletproof ink, and it's replaced Edelstein Tanzanite as my blue black ink because I like the permanence.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Let me guess.. you use fine/medium nibs?

On my broad wet pens.. you need very good paper to tame it. I am sure it does well on fine/medium/drier nibs. ;)

C.

Hello Vis,

You're welcome - keep the ink reviews coming, I love reading them!

Interesting observations by everyone - so far I've found no feathering on any paper I've used it on - even on lousy paper.

It's a bulletproof ink, and it's replaced Edelstein Tanzanite as my blue black ink because I like the permanence.

~Epic

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Let me guess.. you use fine/medium nibs?

On my broad wet pens.. you need very good paper to tame it. I am sure it does well on fine/medium/drier nibs. ;)

C.

Well yes I do. Now that's a factor I didn't consider.... something to take note for in the future!

I can imagine... a wet ink in a wet pen, wow. Good luck with that hose. :P

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.