Kanwrite Nibs

hariharan

I have two ratnam pens. The pens are lightweight and well balanced, but eats my head out with a scratchy nib. I tried few tricks of paper, some amateur polishing, but in vain.

Recently I met Mr,Sandeep of Kanwrite and gave him three pens of mine, both the ratnam 302 and a GAMA. GAMA was a good writer, but i still thought of replacing it.

Sandeepji replaced with a B, M and F flex to let me try all the combinations. The nibs are awesome to write with., This is my first experience with B, as i have always used M or ffine. The B nib was just like pouring juice on paper. I am so happy and finally can love my ratnam pens :).

Thanks Sandeep ji and Kanwrite.

post-80706-0-99617300-1474774501_thumb.jpg
The three ebonites that got nib replacement , alongwith ranga bamboo
post-80706-0-50721700-1474774567_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hariharan

• Yohaanrods

• HartGummi

• Cyclohexene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hariharan,

Glad that you have got your pens working the way you like!

Let me be the devil's advocate here: if Mr Sandeep had fitted the nibs to the pens himself (or by a skilled technician on his team), I feel sure that he had lavished a lot of extra care as he was doing it for a known customer, much more than what any factory could afford, except at a loss.

From my limited experience, Indian-made nibs can be tuned to a high level of performance, if they are fundamentally sound. I gave a young friend a Dilli, sold by Kevin of FPR, fitted with one of his earlier fine nibs, with the nib tuned to be glassy smooth as the pen would be used on a variety of paper of various qualities, and the recipient was more than delighted. In fact I have managed to get Airmail's much maligned nibs to run rather well. For me I tend to use the nail buffer method which seems to give me what I want, and of course it works a little more aggressively than the brown paper method which is effective for fine tuning.

Enjoy!

By the way the Ratnams are awesome; wish I could get some!

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Hi Seele

Thanks for your comment.

I agree that many nibs can be tuned to our liking. However, with lack of perfection at my end and lesser interest to get into the area of pen and nib tweaking, i am happy that someone could make it work. :)

hariharan,

Glad that you have got your pens working the way you like!

Let me be the devil's advocate here: if Mr Sandeep had fitted the nibs to the pens himself (or by a skilled technician on his team), I feel sure that he had lavished a lot of extra care as he was doing it for a known customer, much more than what any factory could afford, except at a loss.

From my limited experience, Indian-made nibs can be tuned to a high level of performance, if they are fundamentally sound. I gave a young friend a Dilli, sold by Kevin of FPR, fitted with one of his earlier fine nibs, with the nib tuned to be glassy smooth as the pen would be used on a variety of paper of various qualities, and the recipient was more than delighted. In fact I have managed to get Airmail's much maligned nibs to run rather well. For me I tend to use the nail buffer method which seems to give me what I want, and of course it works a little more aggressively than the brown paper method which is effective for fine tuning.

Enjoy!

By the way the Ratnams are awesome; wish I could get some!

• 3 weeks later...

Kanwrite nibs are particularly well made and use a thicker gauge. They are also smooth out of the box. The nibs are imo the best of the indian made nibs..

A lifelong FP user...

Kanwrite nibs are particularly well made and use a thicker gauge. They are also smooth out of the box. The nibs are imo the best of the indian made nibs..

Deepak23,

I sure think that Kanwrite nibs are among the best Indian-made ones. Does Kanwrite have their own nib-making facilities?

Ambitious is a nib maker whose products I am quite fond of, both Ambitious and Kanwrite nibs work for me, they respond very well to my nib-tuning method. But there again I have success in tuning up the Airmail/Wality nibs, most of the time!

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Yes Kanwrite makes their own nibs. In fact Kanwrite supply to many leading Indian pens including camlin and airmail/wality.

However, the kanwrite nibs are better than the nibs they supply to camlin or wality.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone ,

This is my first post in FPN. Glad to be here.

I had ordered a few Kanwrite flex No.4 nibs on Amazon and while they write smooth and give a little line variation ,I had a really hard time fitting them into any other Fountain pens- i tried Wality and Clik FP's. The feed size seems ok but the nibs seem to have a very curved base which makes fitting the nibs really difficult.Tried flattening the base but that caused the tines to get really misaligned.

Now I am considering ordering their size 35 nibs.Any recommendations as to what FP's might take these nibs .

Thanks

Dr.Ashwin Shetty

I think it is all down to personal preference really. I bought a Japanese Platinum Century and at first I did not like the feedbsck but now I actually prefer a bit of feedback to something super smooth like a Bock or JoWo nib, as long as it doesn't tear at the paper. People have said that Guider nibs are scratchy butvI have grown to like it. What nibs were in the Ratnamson pens? Were they Ratnam's own 14k nibs or the standard Wality nibs. I have heard that Wality nibs can be a little scratchy. The Ratnsm 14k nib is nice to write with but it puts the price of the pen up something crazy. I could only afford a No15 small size but it is a nice little pen and as an eyedropper still has a good capacity. I will try some Kanwrite nibs. I would be interested to try one of his nibs. Maybe a group buy can be arranged as they seem hard to get outside India.

Edited by matteob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone ,

This is my first post in FPN. Glad to be here.

I had ordered a few Kanwrite flex No.4 nibs on Amazon and while they write smooth and give a little line variation ,I had a really hard time fitting them into any other Fountain pens- i tried Wality and Clik FP's. The feed size seems ok but the nibs seem to have a very curved base which makes fitting the nibs really difficult.Tried flattening the base but that caused the tines to get really misaligned.

Now I am considering ordering their size 35 nibs.Any recommendations as to what FP's might take these nibs .

Thanks

Dr.Ashwin Shetty

dr. shetty you should have enquired what nib will fit ur pen b4 making a purchase...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes Kanwrite makes their own nibs. In fact Kanwrite supply to many leading Indian pens including camlin and airmail/wality.

However, the kanwrite nibs are better than the nibs they supply to camlin or wality.

I am a big fan of Kanwrite nibs as I find them to be perfectly usable out of the box.

They also lend themselves to some interesting nib grinds - especially the Broad, Double Broad and Stub nibs.

I have made a few Architect and Stub grinds from Kanwrite nibs.

Cheers

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

• 4 months later...

Hello,

a little video review of the Kanwrite Desire could be found here:

Thank you for watching!!

MontPelikan

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Recently, I purchased a Kanwrite Medium flex, and boy what a delight it has been. I especially love its long steely nibs that 'splits' as you write.

Attached a sample.

fpn_1577722624__20191230_213826.jpg

Zeta

I would tend to agree that Kanwrite are best of the Indian nib producers. Ranga has started using their nibs in their eyedropper models, and it has been a great improvement. They make pretty good pens as well. I have a Desire which performs very well and I recently purchased a Heritage from Kiwi Pens which should be arriving in a few weeks.

Anyone know if there is a way to purchase Kanwrite flex nibs (just the nibs, not a whole pen)? I have a few pens that could really use a bit of the characteristic from a flex nib.

Anyone know if there is a way to purchase Kanwrite flex nibs (just the nibs, not a whole pen)? I have a few pens that could really use a bit of the characteristic from a flex nib.

Just email them at kanpurwriters@gmail.com and ask about a price list. They do PayPal and can send you a price list with all their products on it. I recently bought three no 35 BB nibs in Jowo #6 threaded housing and it was a simple and painless process.

KiwiPens on Ebay and Etsy are now selling Kanwrite and Ambitious nibs in a variety of nib widths. I haven't gotten any of them yet ( I tend to work with the Airmail/Wality nibs that come with my pens) but they do come in the proper sizes. Just remember that there are some differences in sizes with Indian and other nibs.