What Is Your Favorite Office Supply Store Paper?

Witsius

I'm sure we all love our Rhoda and Clairefontaine pads, but let's face it; they are expensive. If I'm just jotting notes that I know I'm going to pitch after I'm done with them, I don't like using my "good" paper. It seems like kind of a waste. So that leaves using paper from the office supply store. So,for office supply paper, steno pads, legal pads, what ever, what's your preferred paper?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• torstar

• carlos.q

• MTHALL720

Environotes Sugarcane Paper notepads. Surprisingly very FP-friendly considering the paper material and price. I could not get it to bleed or feather even with wet broad nibs. Certainly one of my favorite cheap papers.

For cheap, cheap: Made in BRAZIL composition books and others

For a little more but quite a bit better: HP LaserJet 24 lb - by the ream.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Out of curiosity, any recommendations for good, cheap, graph ruled notebooks?

Edited by Dragonmaster Lou

Hammermill 24lb laser paper, a ream of it is usually under $10. It has a teal wrapper with a butterfly on the front.

Much Love--Virginia

For notebooks; Staples, single subject, wire bound, made in BRAZIL. This is not as good as any of the other listed papers, but at 17 CENTS each, during back to school sale, who cares.

For notepads; Office Depot, sugar cane

For blank paper (by the ream):

- HP 32# Premium

- Hammermill, 28# Color Copy Digital

- Staples, 20#, Sustainable Earth, sugar cane paper. Not as smooth as the HP 32# paper, but stands up to anything that I've used on it. And it is good for pointed nib dip pen as well.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Might not be useful to you but here in NZ I use Warwick 14B8 A4 or 14B5 A5 refill pads.

Out of curiosity, any recommendations for good, cheap, graph ruled notebooks?

Fabriano Ecoqua is always my go-to

Many papers made in Brazil are very good, even the inexpensive composition notebooks.

Most notebook filler paper is sealed in plastic, but you can get an idea about feathering, etc., by looking at whether the lines have spread.

I once bought a 10-ream case of printer paper that was very FP friendly and also acid free from a chain office supply store. It was on sale for $24. Those stores outsource their lines of papers from low bidders, so repetition is very unreliable.

staples ARC notebooks and Black n Red. Staples often has clearance sales which I go overboard with but two colors were discontinued of the leather covered ARC notebooks at about $17.00 each regular. I bought 11 of them at $5.00 each with the ARC pads in them. So I have a stock of them. I use them as personal journals.

• 3 months later...

I guess I'm bad. I found six more of the ARC leather notebooks with paper for $2.00 each. The paper is very good. It's great to find a good notebook so inexpensive.

Heading to Staples to look for Arc sales today. Hope to find some good deals

I always check clearance .The tag on the shelf said $9.00 on those ARC leather notebooks. Regular price on their other shelves was $16.99. I did a price check on the color leather on clearance and they came up at $2.00 each. A few months ago I bought 11 lime green leather ARC at $5 each. So now I have 17 of them. I'm a confessed notebook hoarder and I use them virtually everyday.

Of all brands and sizes of notebooks I have, I may go through 2000 pages this year.

Staples sales will hit certain colors of leather which I suppose are discontinued and it works for me. If this paper was mediochre the price would still be a good deal, but it feels heavy, smooth and has taken everything I've thrown at it. I'm not sure if it's acid free but it appears to be very durable.

Edited by Studio97

My favorite is Roaring Springs Environotes filler paper. It's more expensive than many filler papers, but still about four cents per page. I can't think of an ink that hasn't behaved well on it, and can handle very fine to very broad nibs with a variety of wetness. Perhaps, very wet nibs on the verge of being more paint brush than fountain pen would bleed through, but I don't find those too practical to keep around! I am not sure if many office supply stores have this paper, but many college bookstores do.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Recently I've been using this one:

fpn_1484594050__sugar.jpg

Office Depot Professional sugar cane. Make sure it's the sugar cane version: the other one is awful for FPs!