Sheaffer No Nonsense Old Timer

amk

It was the third box of rubbishy old ballpoints and advertising pens I'd seen that morning and I so nearly didn't bother to rummage... I'm glad I did: I found this rather sweet Sheaffer No Nonsense.

http://i.imgur.com/0S5QXdUl.jpg

It's one of the 'Old Timer' pens which take their inspiration from the black chased hard rubber pens of an earlier time. This one has a fetching spiral design.

Pen Hero has a list of six different patterns, including this one ('flamme') - this is my second Old Timer, so I have four to go. Unfortunately this one has a tiny scar where someone melted the plastic (I don't know how!), but even so, I'm glad to have found it.

One interesting feature of the sale was that this pen was knocking around with a lot of advertising pens that were quite clearly modelled on it - same size, same flat top and barrel end, but with no cap ring and horrible cheap clips. Although the No Nonsense was an inexpensive pen, it was never 'cheap', and the contrast was instructive!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• Ron Z

• amk

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact today I am using today is Sheaffer No-Nonsense.

The pen comes with fine italic nib and is inked with Sulekha Crytal Violet.

img_20161108_090622.jpg?w=768

img_20161108_090704.jpg?w=768

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Pen Hero has a list of six different patterns, including this one ('flamme') - this is my second Old Timer, so I have four to go.

...but I have a seventh (7th) relatively unknown pattern. For lack of a popular or official name, let's just call it STRAIGHT LINED PATTERN:

fpn_1410043009__xfgpnn2.jpg

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

XF? Ooooo. I wants it.

Yes, marked XF on the nib but not really extra fine. More like between XF and F, but it's a pleasure writing with it. Smoother than my other extra fine nibs. Not easy to find. I've come across an XF gold plated NN nibs three times. Two in NN Oldtimers and one fitted in a Balance II in a BIN at eBay. I messaged the seller that the Balance II had an incorrect nib. I made an offer for just the nib and was accepted.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There are the No Nonsense with gold trim, gold plated nib and gold disk on cap top but with no chasing patterns on the body. Are these some step up No Nonsense but not Old Timers?

Khan M. Ilyas

A while back I was scolded for putting a Connaisseur nib on an Old Timer, but I like it.

Congratulations on your find. That's an appealing chasing pattern.

Edited by Manalto

James

A while back I was scolded for putting a Connaisseur nib on an Old Timer, but I like it.

I think Ron does that too.

My NN has pretty much the best steel nib I have ever used on it. Along with one of the best early plastic feeds. They knew what they were doing in Iowa.

NN is a great pen.

That Blue one is sexy.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

That Blue one is sexy.

I could be wrong, but I think it's black with a blue reflection.

The NN was the first fountain pen I bought, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I still have it and it works just fine with its snazzy "Medium" nib!

Edited by Manalto

James

All that is missing then are the discs and buttons on the end, so why not? A Connaisseur is just a pimped out NN. Really.

This started out as an orange No Nonsense.

The section is from a Balance, but I find the curved section to be more comfortable.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/OrangeConn.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

They are really good ones, reliables, I have some in all colors, and specially the black ones with a golden ring in the caps and nibs from teri in peyton.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/OrangeConn.jpg

It looks really nice, Ron. Is the conversion easy enough to do so that it would be cost-effective to make several in different colors (although I think the orange is smashing) or is the pimping for personal purposes?

James

This started out as an orange No Nonsense.

That's hot.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

It looks really nice, Ron. Is the conversion easy enough to do so that it would be cost-effective to make several in different colors (although I think the orange is smashing) or is the pimping for personal purposes?

It was just for personal use - and for fun. Once I knew how they were put together I decided, as I told one person, to take it to its logical absurdity. It really is a gorgeous pen, but too far out there for conservative Sheaffer.

You have to have the furniture to convert the pen. I had to turn fit rod stock, and then turn it to make the buttons, The clip is chrome plated, and getting the gold to stick is a real problem. I haven't worked out how to stake the tabs over to replace it without damaging the cap - they're really stiff.

Once you know how they were made, you can see that the chased Connaisseur is really just a pimped out Old Timer. It doesn't lower my interest in either pen the least bit.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have three NNSs and love them. I'm looking to add a few and the chased version looks incredible. I know these came out in italics but would anyone know if they came out in other interesting nib styles (needlepoint?)?

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.