Rotring Tintenkuli - Which Ink?

Ego Id Veto

Hey all,

I just received a lovely vintage Tintenkuli that I'd bought from a member here.

It's in lovely condition (although the piston probably needs a bit of grease, am unsure of how to dismantle it to do that...) and the nib is exceptionally resistant to drying out.

However, I'm not 100% content using regular FP inks in it, as I need something REALLY permanent. The MB permanent Blue I've tried in it doesn't seem to work very well, so I've got it loaded with Kon Peki at the moment.

I know they're meant to be used with india/drawing inks, but which one? Are there any specific types of drawing ink you guys have used with success? Only blue or black, unfortunately, such is the nature of my work.

And are these India inks that are often referred to the ones which contain shellac? If so, is that not risky?

Finally, would I be correct in assuming that the Koh-i-noor Rapidoeze is the right thing to clean this pen with if uses with drawing ink?

Thanks guys! I hope there are some stylographic pen enthusiasts here who can help me!

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ego Id Veto

• Pickwick

• UDog

• sd10521

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you find out which ink to use, show us some photos of your writing and tell us how it writes.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

If your pen is a stylograph similar to mine, then it will accept any ink. I have used mine for a number of years in artwork and it is very reliable. These pens dismantle completely the piston can be removed by unscrewing the colored ring below the blind cap and you will be able to remove it. The only care needing to be taken is ensuring the piston is engaged to the screw device operating the piston. However, If it should separate then it is easy to reengage it. If the piston remains stuck after unscrewing the the operating device, It can be removed with a pair of tweezers There should be no need to grease the piston.

The point can also be taken apart for cleaning, just take care not to bend the wire insert when removing.

If anyone wants to convert these Koh-i-noor pens to a fountain pen, an Esterbrook nib is compatible with the threads in the section and can be screwed in.

Rapideze is not essential for cleaning these pens and flushing with water suffices. If you want to use India ink then it is advisable to flush it out once a week.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

When you find out which ink to use, show us some photos of your writing and tell us how it writes.

It writes very well with Kon Peki, just a bit pale for some reason. But that's the ink, not the pen. See attached:

post-104045-0-60645200-1474520825_thumb.jpg

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

If your pen is a stylograph similar to mine, then it will accept any ink. I have used mine for a number of years in artwork and it is very reliable. These pens dismantle completely the piston can be removed by unscrewing the colored ring below the blind cap and you will be able to remove it. The only care needing to be taken is ensuring the piston is engaged to the screw device operating the piston. However, If it should separate then it is easy to reengage it. If the piston remains stuck after unscrewing the the operating device, It can be removed with a pair of tweezers There should be no need to grease the piston.

The point can also be taken apart for cleaning, just take care not to bend the wire insert when removing.

If anyone wants to convert these Koh-i-noor pens to a fountain pen, an Esterbrook nib is compatible with the threads in the section and can be screwed in.

Rapideze is not essential for cleaning these pens and flushing with water suffices. If you want to use India ink then it is advisable to flush it out once a week.

Do you mean to say that you use the India ink that contains shellac?

I'd definitely like to use that, but I'm apprehensive due to its (well deserved) bad rep in fountain pens!

Also, does the front section just unscrew? Mine seems to be quite firm.

My Vintages:

Do you mean to say that you use the India ink that contains shellac?

I'd definitely like to use that, but I'm apprehensive due to its (well deserved) bad rep in fountain pens!

Also, does the front section just unscrew? Mine seems to be quite firm.

I have tried India ink in my pen but was unable to get the blackness I desired, and I've also used acrylic ink and flushed it out after extensive use without any ill effects. The section on mine doesn't unscrew only the tip. From your photos, mine is probably an older model which has a yellow rounded finial holding the clip in place.

I have a set of Koh-i-noor pens and frequently use the tips in the piston pen because it holds more ink. These pens were made for technical line drawing and I frequently use fountain pen ink mainly for convenience.

If I'm not using the pen for any length of time I always thoroughly clean it up before putting it away.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Well, I've just inked it with some PH Martin's Black Star hi-carb India ink. It says it's for technical pens, and whilst it seems a tad thick, it's apparently both permanent/waterproof and free of varnishes and shellac.

It flows somewhat well unless I write too fast, in which case it skips. I will likely dilute it with distilled water to try and fix this next time I fill.

I'll definitely be cleaning it thoroughly using technical pen cleaner later though.

My Vintages:

Well, I've just inked it with some PH Martin's Black Star hi-carb India ink. It says it's for technical pens, and whilst it seems a tad thick, it's apparently both permanent/waterproof and free of varnishes and shellac.

It flows somewhat well unless I write too fast, in which case it skips. I will likely dilute it with distilled water to try and fix this next time I fill.

I'll definitely be cleaning it thoroughly using technical pen cleaner later though.

You need to bear in mind that these pens are not designed for writing, and are technical drafting pens. I believe Koh-I-Noor took over the Rotring technical pen company. The Koh-I-Noor set I have, the tip sizes run from 00 01mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm and 4mm

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

You need to bear in mind that these pens are not designed for writing, and are technical drafting pens. I believe Koh-I-Noor took over the Rotring technical pen company. The Koh-I-Noor set I have, the tip sizes run from 00 01mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm and 4mm

Of course. I do have to hold it quite differently to the average FP.

I think this is a '30s model, as it's got an ebonite cap and blind cap, and a plastic body.

It writes slightly better with FP ink, but I've got some inexplicable urge to use India ink at work...

My Vintages:

Of course. I do have to hold it quite differently to the average FP.

I think this is a '30s model, as it's got an ebonite cap and blind cap, and a plastic body.

It writes slightly better with FP ink, but I've got some inexplicable urge to use India ink at work...

The formulated inks for these pens are much better if you want a good black. I used it 30 years ago when I was designing graphics for scanning 30 years ago in my Rotring pens and used rapidoeze for flushing.

These pens should be held vertical to allow the wire to be pushed in to allow the ink to flow properly.

It might be worthwhile to find out what inks were available for these pens when they were first introduced.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I'm now using Ph Martin's bombay turquoise india ink with a drop of the aforementioned black ink.

It's a nice teal and flows somewhat well on good paper.

My Vintages:

Thanks to all of you to get me to pull out my old Rapidographs for a little more use. These were my primary pen in High School in the early 70's, great information here.

It writes very well with Kon Peki, just a bit pale for some reason. But that's the ink, not the pen. See attached:

attachicon.gifIMG_20160922_013952.jpg

Thank you for the photo. Do you use this pen for your general writing or is it mostly for drawing?

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Thank you for the photo. Do you use this pen for your general writing or is it mostly for drawing?

So far I've actually only used it for writing. I'm not much of a sketcher.

It takes some getting used to, but I like the ability to use India ink, and its ability to not dry out even after having the cap off for prolonged periods.

My Vintages: