Been Lurking...

Rosymomma

Good evening all-

I have been lurking and using the FPN as a resource for a few years. Even registered a couple years back but havn't posted.

I'm still a newb as far as pens go. I fot my first FP about 40 years ago to teach myself calligraphy. As life moved on I didn't have much time for my FP. Finally, as my kiddos are moving toward leaving the nest permanently, I have taken up my love of pens and paper.

I have about half a dozen Lamy Safaris in different limited edition colors that I've purchased over the last 6-7 years (really! Where does time go?). I have a Pelikan m200 with an XXF nib from Richard Binder (~ 5 years old) that is my daily go to pen. I've also managed to pick up an Imperial (Imperial Pen Co.) with a Warrented 14k fine nib (lots of flex) from Greg Minuskin; 1930's black Lady Schaeffer with ring on cap and a Schaeffer Liferime nib (no flex); and finally Waterman's 12 1/2 BHR with Watermans Ideal nib (patent date 1903) with a ver flexible nib. I am attempting to teach myself Spencerian, but still only use my flex nibs for drawing and not writing. Oh, and the Pilot vanishing point that dear hubby got me for my 50th!

I'm a middle school teacher and for the most part only used FPs at work. I do have to purchase my own paper for use at work to be able to use my pens because schools can only afford the cheapest quality paper.

One of my goals for this school year is to participate more here as I practice daily on my penmanship....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosymomma

• jar

• estie1948

• RJH2100

I have been looking into improving my penmanship but have not decided on a specific handwriting program yet, I have heard of spencerian but do not know much about it. Can you tell me why you've chosen spencerian as opposed others such as Zaner-Bloser or Palmer?

Hello and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. Glad you have joined us. This is now your place as much as it is ours. Please don't be shy. Ask all the questions you have and don't hesitate to state your opinions.

" . . . teach yourself Spencerian"! Way to challenge yourself! I wish you fantastic success! Personally, I struggle just to keep my nameless cursive somewhat legible.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and Welcome to active posting on FPN!! Glad to have you join in!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

I am glad that you finally joined the conversations. Let our membership help you find "affordable" fountain-pen-friendly paper. This year, I found good, usable paper. in the single-subject notebooks, sold in the back-to-school sales at Wal-Mart for 17¢ . The annual sale time is August.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

RJH2100--not sure if this is the "right" way to reply to your query....

I guess I decided on the Spencer cursive for a couple reasons....yhe first is just that I like the way it looks. Another reason would be that my own cursive already has many of the elements which may make it a tiny bit easier! Currently I am practicing for between 20-60 minutes daily. Still trying to decide on which of my pens is the best to practice with. I own a wet noodle, but thing getting the angle and forms right first before attempting the shading will work better for me, so have not really practiced with my Waterman.

post-123952-0-20450400-1472591237.png

Your collection sounds quite a bit more varied and extensive than mine... How high is your bar for not being a "newb" anymore? :unsure: lol

Spencerian is really lovely to look at. Would love to see images of your practice pages! :)