Paper/pen Combination

Zookie

I do all of my writing by hand, and am looking for a good paper and pen combination.

Most of my paper I buy at Staples, and as I go through a lot of it, that seems to be the best place around here to get my supplies.

I've tried several of the brands they offer, manufactured in several different countries, and it's been difficult for me to find a pen that doesn't bleed through most of them.

Maybe I'm being too fussy, but the bleed through is really starting to get to me. The closest I've come to being happy with the results is by using a Pentel RSVP fine ballpoint. That doesn't bleed through, problem is, I don't really like using ballpoints.

I guess my point is that I need a good pen that's not a ballpoint, doesn't bleed through the less expensive papers, and that I don't have to take out a bank loan to purchase.

Any suggestions for a good note paper / pen combination would be appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Zookie

• Sailor Kenshin

• Sandy1

It's not the pens causing the problem but the paper. Most of it is recycled and OK for printers. The best and most consistent I've found so far is HP bright white 24lb and 32lb. All my fountain pens are wet writers and so far I've found I can write on both sides of the HP 24lb for letter writing. I'm writing with Rorher & Klingner Salix ink and find this ink does look slightly darker on the 24lb and much better on the 32lb.

Hope this helps.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

You might want to try HP Premium Choice Laserjet paper. This paper is a favorite of FPN and is my preferred paper. I use the 32lb and can write on both sides with a wet and broad Pelikan M1000.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

You're right, it has to be the paper. I'll have to look for a printer paper that I like and go with that. I can print lines if I like, and won't have to worry about the bleed through.

It does seem sad that I can't find a good note book paper though. I'll use what I have left for rough drafts.

You're right, it has to be the paper. I'll have to look for a printer paper that I like and go with that. I can print lines if I like, and won't have to worry about the bleed through.

It does seem sad that I can't find a good note book paper though. I'll use what I have left for rough drafts.

What sort of binding would you look for? Some comp notebooks exhibit a certain amount of show-through, but not bleed-through. I may have bought the last known examples of Staples Bagasse a while back, and that's been a favorite. The India paper composition notebooks from Dollar Tree used to be good. Spiral-bound...there's Black 'n' Red, or Miquelrius, but probably not at Staples. Most of the legal pads I get there are like paper towels, though paper of Egyptian origin has been a pleasant surprise.

Your ink and the wetness of a pen is going to have an effect, too.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

It may be sometimes a show through, sometimes a bleed through. That all depends on which pen and what paper, but always annoying. At the moment I'm using a college ruled spiral note book, made in Egypt, the pen being an RSVP fine. It works great with this paper, I just don't like ballpoints.

It does seem, however, that I have to use a different pen for each paper,and that means getting used to it writing differently all over again.

Does that make sense?

I wish I could find one nice pen, and a nice paper to go with it, that I could stick with. I write a lot, and it's frustrating having to change up so often.

BTW, the Bagasse paper was great! I don't think it's available any longer.

It may be sometimes a show through, sometimes a bleed through. That all depends on which pen and what paper, but always annoying. At the moment I'm using a college ruled spiral note book, made in Egypt, the pen being an RSVP fine. It works great with this paper, I just don't like ballpoints.

It does seem, however, that I have to use a different pen for each paper,and that means getting used to it writing differently all over again.

Does that make sense?

I wish I could find one nice pen, and a nice paper to go with it, that I could stick with. I write a lot, and it's frustrating having to change up so often.

BTW, the Bagasse paper was great! I don't think it's available any longer.

Makes perfect sense, says the Paper Goldilocks.

I got a few of those Egyptian college-ruled and made discreet tests. They work well if you have a fine-ish nib and a dry-to-medium ink. If you have a Met loaded with its Pilot cart, you might try that.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

IMO, go online and buy yourself a bunch of the Black n' Red - it's the cheapest of the high-end stuff (that I know of) and you can get it in spiral or hard bound. In my experience, it's as good as Rhodia in terms of paper weight and show-through or bleed-through.

Hi,

Trying to save a few pennies on paper just isn't worth it.

I've been quite happy with Hewlett Packard 90gsm (24lb) laser copy/print paper. The surface is smooth enough that it keeps the line quality high and is comfy enough. I've also read that the sugarcane Bigasse paper is OK, so that's another avenue of pursuit.

Write with a light hand : envision your pen whispering to the paper, leaving an inky trail in its wake.

Choose a dark ink, so that with a dry nib the line is still very legible. A small amount of dark ink will do better on iffy paper than a large amount (from a wet pen) of a less dark ink on such paper. (My daily writer is a Parker + M nib with a BlBk ink.)

If things go pear-shaped, an iron-gall ink, such as R&K Salix, can come to your rescue, but inks such as Pelikan 4001 BlBk, Sheaffer BlBk and Diamine Sapphire should be up to the task at hand.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

You need to BALANCE the variables; pen, ink, paper, and you.

Change any one variable and you have bleed though and feathering.

I use Staples 'single subject, wire bound' made in BRAZIL. I also use filler paper, made in BRAZIL.

The country of origin is critical, as the papers from the other countries are not as FP friendly.

I tried the Egypt paper and returned it, as unusable with my fountain pens.

With the Brazil paper, I have used almost every pen/ink combo I have, without bleed through.

- my pens are not WET. They don't lay down a lot of ink. More ink on the paper = greater chance of bleed through and feathering.

- my inks are not WET WET. I once used Noodler's Emerald City Green. A nice ink but it bled through and feathered on every paper that I had. An ink so WET that it was unusable, except in a DRY DRY pen.

That is for the cheap/inexpensive paper.

Now for better paper that I use.

- HP 32# premium (unlined, sold by the ream)

- Hammermill, 28#, Color Copy Digital (unlined, sold by the ream)

- Staples, 20#, Sustainable Earth, Sugar Cane paper. (unlined sold by the ream)

- Office Depot, Sugar Cane paper (lined, sold in pads)

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

You need to BALANCE the variables; pen, ink, paper, and you.

Change any one variable and you have bleed though and feathering.

I use Staples 'single subject, wire bound' made in BRAZIL. I also use filler paper, made in BRAZIL.

The country of origin is critical, as the papers from the other countries are not as FP friendly.

I tried the Egypt paper and returned it, as unusable with my fountain pens.

With the Brazil paper, I have used almost every pen/ink combo I have, without bleed through.

- my pens are not WET. They don't lay down a lot of ink. More ink on the paper = greater chance of bleed through and feathering.

- my inks are not WET WET. I once used Noodler's Emerald City Green. A nice ink but it bled through and feathered on every paper that I had. An ink so WET that it was unusable, except in a DRY DRY pen.

That is for the cheap/inexpensive paper.

Now for better paper that I use.

- HP 32# premium (unlined, sold by the ream)

- Hammermill, 28#, Color Copy Digital (unlined, sold by the ream)

- Staples, 20#, Sustainable Earth, Sugar Cane paper. (unlined sold by the ream)

- Office Depot, Sugar Cane paper (lined, sold in pads)

Also the made in BRAZIL composition books work well. I use them at the office daily, and whether I am using an EF to a big wide Broad or Stub nib with a wet ink, show & bleed through it pretty minimal. Oh, I use both sides.

For letters I will use Rhodia, Basildon Bond, and others. I have a couple of Black n Red notebooks. They come in lined, either cloth bound or wire bound. Very good paper.

HP Laser 24lb is another paper I have and like.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_01.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_02.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_03.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_04.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_05.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_06.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_07.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_08.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_09.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_10.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_11.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_12.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_13.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_14.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_15.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-23_16.jpg