Pilot Custom 845 Or Lamy 2000/pilot Vanishing Point/ Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue

Aditkamath26

​I think I am kind of counting my chickens before they hatch. There is an art competition with great cash prices in which I am going to participate. So I was wondering about the stuff I can get with the prize money. Also I will be getting more if I perform well in my 1st term exams.

​Two options just jumped into my mind. Either Pilot's flagship the Custom 845 (I love the classic design) or the option of buying 3 pens from the Goulet's. I am talking about the Lamy 2000, Pilot Vanishing point black and gold and the Platinum 3776 century in chartres blue. Would love your opinions on both of my options.

Pilot custom 845- in medium

OR ​

Pilot Vanishing point- in medium

Platinum 3776 century- in medium

​Lamy 2000-in medium as well

I would love if you give me other options as well in the 500 dollar range.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• Bluey

• Mulrich

• Mew

If you're still starting your collection I would go with the three pens. All are still very nice pens and could serve different purposes and give some variety. In general I'm in favor of fewer but nicer pens but I would consider all three to be nice. The 845 is terrific but I'm not sure it's worth is greater than the other three combined.

my advice, concentrate on your midterm and that art competition now, you can worry about these petty matter when the time comes ..

my advice, concentrate on your midterm and that art competition now, you can worry about these petty matter when the time comes ..

I think you are really right mate. But this is an old habit.

If you're still starting your collection I would go with the three pens. All are still very nice pens and could serve different purposes and give some variety. In general I'm in favor of fewer but nicer pens but I would consider all three to be nice. The 845 is terrific but I'm not sure it's worth is greater than the other three combined.

I think you have a point right there. I really love the three pens. While I have never seen the vanishing point or the platinum, I have seen the Lamy. It looks great.

This is no doubt good advice, but where's the fun in that :)

I would go with 3 pens. I know the Goulets provide an excellent service, but from a financial perspective it's recommended to get your Japanese pens from Japan because you'll save yourself a LOT of money.

I would go with 3 pens. I know the Goulets provide an excellent service, but from a financial perspective it's recommended to get your Japanese pens from Japan because you'll save yourself a LOT of money.

One reason I am not going with Japanese seller on maybe ebay or engeika is that I really doubt they check the pens. I know Brian and Drew check their pens and that is the only reason. If I am buying the Pilot Custom 845, then I have no option but Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. I really need a check on the Lamy as many have stated it has QC issues.

One reason I am not going with Japanese seller on maybe ebay or engeika is that I really doubt they check the pens. I know Brian and Drew check their pens and that is the only reason. If I am buying the Pilot Custom 845, then I have no option but Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. I really need a check on the Lamy as many have stated it has QC issues.

Well to be honest I don't think a quick check is worth paying about 75% more for the pen, especially when the quality control issues are minimal(relative to, say, pens from Germany and Italy) on Japanese pens. In only a handful of cases are pens that bad that they have to be returned. Your choice though and your money.

Lamy are almost infamous for their quality control issues, but I took a gamble on a Lamy 2000 and I was quite pleased. I think a lot of the quality control issues on the Lamy 2000 aren't actually issues, but more misunderstandings about the nature of the nib.

This isn't a Japanese pen though so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Bluey

Well to be honest I don't think a quick check is worth paying about 75% more for the pen, especially when the quality control issues are minimal(relative to, say, pens from Germany and Italy) on Japanese pens. In only a handful of cases are pens that bad that they have to be returned. Your choice though and your money.

Lamy are almost infamous for their quality control issues, but I took a gamble on a Lamy 2000 and I was quite pleased. I think a lot of the quality control issues on the Lamy 2000 aren't actually issues, but more misunderstandings about the nature of the nib.

This isn't a Japanese pen though so it doesn't matter.

Yeah I do understand the concern about the Lamy 2000 nibs having that sweet spot. Brian Goulet has addressed it but if you have read thePenAddicts post on the Lamy, they had one tine longer than the other which required Mike Masuyama's magic. And people have complained about their platinum 3776 century having dents on the body. Considering Goulet's check the pens and give a basic inspection, I think I will be safer. Have you tried them? It is quite a shame that pens are rare in Abu Dhabi. Yeah my flag says India (my nationality).

Yeah I do understand the concern about the Lamy 2000 nibs having that sweet spot. Brian Goulet has addressed it but if you have read thePenAddicts post on the Lamy, they had one tine longer than the other which required Mike Masuyama's magic. And people have complained about their platinum 3776 century having dents on the body. Considering Goulet's check the pens and give a basic inspection, I think I will be safer. Have you tried them? It is quite a shame that pens are rare in Abu Dhabi. Yeah my flag says India (my nationality).

No, never tried Goulets because of the import costs and extras from America which are far steeper than the rest of the fountain pen selling world.

Maybe you're worrying over nothing? I suppose it's understandable with such items and especially given that you're new to the fountain pen world, but I would think that the number of people that have had to send their items back are probably less than 1%.

Edited by Bluey

No, never tried Goulets because of the import costs and extras from America which are far steeper than the rest of the fountain pen selling world.

Maybe you're worrying over nothing? I suppose it's understandable with such items and especially given that you're new to the fountain pen world, but I would think that the number of people that have had to send their items back are probably less than 1%.

Can you suggest some sellers? I am considering Rakuten or J Subculture.

Are their any nibmeisters in the mid-east? If not an entrepreneurial person may have a part-time business opportunity.

No there aren't. That is the problem. If anything goes wrong, I have to send it to either Mike Masuyama, John Mottishaw or the Nibsmith.

No there aren't. That is the problem. If anything goes wrong, I have to send it to either Mike Masuyama, John Mottishaw or the Nibsmith.

That would be really frustrating; I'm very spoiled living in the US. I know there are quite a few nibmeisters in Europe that might have cheaper shipping costs but I've never tried shipping to or from the mid-east.

That would be really frustrating; I'm very spoiled living in the US. I know there are quite a few nibmeisters in Europe that might have cheaper shipping costs but I've never tried shipping to or from the mid-east.

Do you live in the middle east?

Of the pens I'd go with the Pilot 845 first choice, Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue next. I haven't filled one of my Vanishing Points in at least five years and gave away all the Lamy 2000s to folk just starting in fountain pens. My Chartres has the luscious music nib on it.

Of the pens I'd go with the Pilot 845 first choice, Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue next. I haven't filled one of my Vanishing Points in at least five years and gave away all the Lamy 2000s to folk just starting in fountain pens. My Chartres has the luscious music nib on it.

Thanks for giving your opinion. While I love the custom 845, I think I will be going for the other option.

If your concern is about the quality issues then I might suggest Pilot Custom 845. Not only is it the flagship but the quality control will also meticulous and less chance of a dud one. Of course I am not suggesting that cheaper pilot ones have poor QC but the chances will be less IMHO

If your concern is about the quality issues then I might suggest Pilot Custom 845. Not only is it the flagship but the quality control will also meticulous and less chance of a dud one. Of course I am not suggesting that cheaper pilot ones have poor QC but the chances will be less IMHO

Yeah I think you are right.