Anyone Having Trouble Contacting Taizo Okagaki (Engeika?)

Inknoob

I just received two Paypal refunds regarding my disputes with Engeika. He never responded to any of my emails. I appreciate Paypal's policy that protects buyers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• Calabria

• Inknoob

• Bounce792

I have placed an order for a Platinum 3776 Nyhavn. Can't find it anywhere else so i have to take the risk. Will keep all updated.

round-letter-exc.png

I'm usually patient but I'm asking for a reference on my order placed two weeks ago.

There is really no reason to deal with spotty business practices.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have placed an order for a Platinum 3776 Nyhavn. Can't find it anywhere else so i have to take the risk. Will keep all updated.

You'll be fine. If Taizo ripped everyone off he wouldn't have a business. In you're case you're paying a full price for an exclusive pen. I'm sure you'll get your pen.

The biggest risk with Taizo/Engeika/AsianTreasureHunt is with eBay. He routinely lists auctions at a low price hoping that drives more people to bid on them. If they bid up high enough? It's fine. He gets the money, he ships the pen... but when he starts an auction and it's not driven up to HIS personal secret reserve price then he takes your money and doesn't ship the pen. Then weeks later when you file a claim he refunds you your money and pays you $5 for your trouble.

Interesting - I notice he has multiple eBay accounts. He has an actual "Engeika" ebay account and then "AsianTreasureHunt" is also his account. It was AsianTreasureHunt that did this to me...

PS. The Nyhavn is awesome. Congratulations on that purchase - it looks so strange and neat in those colors!

• 3 weeks later...

I received my order today. I'm not likely to return to Engeika for another order. I am glad that I got my order after several emails, and hope everyone else will get their's shortly as well.

I am reluctant to pass judgement on a single experience, but dealing with Engeika is the only irritating experience I have had in all my years of dealing with pen dealers or manufacturers. I say 'irritating' because I realised quickly that it was going to be a frustrating experience and I backed off before I sent any money. I was interested in a Sailor Sustake and I was under the impression he had one. After several exchanges, which included the 'offer' of, for a small fee, the chance to try before buying (I had my suspicions), it turned out the he would order a couple for an unspecified date (sustake bamboo is becoming difficult to get) 'made specially for me'. The problem is I had to pay the full amount up front with no indication of a delivery date (months? years?) Maybe that is his way of doing business but it is not mine. In the light of comments above, I feel I made the right decision in pulling out.

I had a similar experience. I was offered the opportunity to order a Sailor 1911 Naginata Fude de Mannen; I did place the order and paid upfront, but there was no indication of a delivery date. After waiting a few weeks and reading this thread, I decided to ask for my money back. I never received a reply to my email request, but on my last bank statement saw that the money has been indeed refunded.

Poor communication and my only internet transaction that somehow never seemed quite right. Glad it's over.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

As moderator i am deleting this thread in 48 hours. seems pointless to maintain so many posts.

Bottom line. With any seller caveat emptor. If this guy is no good, do not order from him. If is and you have had great service, please continue doing so.

Will respectfully listen to posts urging the entire thread to stay.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

There is no point to delete negative feedback and people sharing their experience. As long as it is the truth and not slanderous then it should stay on. People on this board and who have followed the topic will be in the know, but many others who seek out a seller's reputation will start new topics or ask the same again and again which will start the same thing all over again. Like we see basically the same topic started every other day. I'm not criticising people for asking the same questions all the time, but it's worth considering.

Anyway, a balance is only achieved when good and bad feedback is given and stays. Deleting negative stuff because it's negative is not a good enough reason. People have come on this board for advice and shared their experience and that's how a board should be, without censorship (unless lines are crossed, eg lying about vendors/ products).

I have dealt with Engeika in the past and had a good experience, so I'm definitely sorry to see that things are going (once again!) badly with E's service, but it's either way good to know for anyone who considers (re)purchasing with E and make a sound decision based on other people's experinece and facts.

Bottom line. With any seller caveat emptor. If this guy is no good, do not order from him. If is and you have had great service, please continue doing so.

This thread has remained civil, there have been no personal attacks and contains very useful information for those who have issues with engelika (notably with disputes/contact...etc).

With Engelika's history and past reputation it maybe worthwhile to leave this thread up to serve as a "notice/buyer beware" for FPN customers who are unaware of the many recent problems with engelika and is still under the impression that their service was similar to the past.

I see no valid reason to remove only negative feedback when users are simply sharing their current experience, if you are unhappy with users sharing feedback on popular sellers then please remove both negative and positive feedback. Removing feedback just because it's negative if anything allows helps sellers to continue selling to unaware customers.

Edited by Alteyz

Agree to keep the thread. I just read it and wow, learned not to order from this dude.

By the way, have you guys tried any parcel forwarding service? Or ebay? Not really sure but I see there seems to be some vendors out there being good.

Moderator - this thread has been very helpful to me in negotiating with a seller. I agree that everybody has spoken only of their own experiences- which are both positive and negative.

Deleting this thread seems to prevent FPNers from voicing their opinions. As a financial supporter of FPN, I highly question this editorial intervention.

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Several months ago I ordered 2 bottles of Sailor's Rykiu-cha.

This was first order from Engeika. I decided to try it, despite the amount of negative experiences many had with, because we never know... And also because of Paypal's buyer's protection if there was a problem.

I received no order confirmation whatsoever, but my Paypal paiement went through. Two months after, nothing had arrived. I wrote several messages, no response from Engeika / Taiko. I filed for a refund because almost 2 1/2 months have passed. I received my refund.

Last week, three and a half months after my refunded order, 2 bottles of Rykiu-Cha landed inside my mailbox, without any notification.

I have repaid for them, sent a message thanking the gesture and the trust. No response received.

I appreciate their gesture, and honesty.

Edit - I believe, moderator that such threads are useful. Not all experiences are negative, and the positive one's can temper the bad ones. Negative experiences are good to learn from, as long as they are factual, and not demolishing, or enraged ones. Negative voices have the right to exist, too.

Please be so kind as to consider every experience, positive or negative, helps to evolve. Thank you so much.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

As moderator i am deleting this thread in 48 hours. seems pointless to maintain so many posts.

"So many posts"? Is there an "acceptable" number of posts permitted on a thread?

Judging by posts on this board, engeika seems the go-to person/firm for satisfying modern Japanese pen collecting desires. If really so, you are stuck with him. For better or worse. Do other options (probably much more expensive) exist. If so, go there. If not, sorry.

Best of luck.

Makes me consider going back in the pen selling business again.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

i had order several ink and pen from engeika.

yes he have poor communication, but the price is good.. and your order will arrive but take times each person different.

my ink bottle (couple iroshizuku) arrive in 1 month, my first pen (912) arrive 2 week, my 2nd pen (3776) arrive in 2 month..

this seller is honest, but his communication is poor..

Judging by posts on this board, engeika seems the go-to person/firm for satisfying modern Japanese pen collecting desires. If really so, you are stuck with him. For better or worse. Do other options (probably much more expensive) exist. If so, go there. If not, sorry.

Best of luck.

Makes me consider going back in the pen selling business again.

Hi folks, like I've stated in other threads, both Atsu (cool-japan):

http://www.ebay.com/usr/cool-japan?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

...and e-sell-jp

http://www.ebay.com/usr/e-sell_jp?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Both sellers are amazing and you'll receive your new items in days!

If there is something only available in Japan, Atsu can usually source it out, or just order it from the Japan store and use a forwarder like Tenso.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I will put my 2 cents here. I have bought two (2) pens from Engeika - they have been "good" deals. I also purchased another pen and I realized it was too small for me and I did not wish to purchase the said pen - I communicated with Taizo and said as much and he took my word and refunded the monies. There was no fault on Engeikas part. I find him to be honest and reputable. I will gladly purchase from him again and I did - a Platinum sorotame Izumo. Good luck

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link