Inks For My Lamy Safari

jjrez0216

So... I have settled in on my Lamy Safari and it's my pen of choice. I have a charcoal black pen with a fine nib and I absolutely love it. The ink I use is the Noodler's Bulletproof Black and it is the best black for me. So now, I want to look for a blue that I would like to use. I have ordered some samples from Goulet and tested them, such as Liberty's Elysium and 54th Massachusetts. Unfortunately, they didn't work well for me... Liberty's Elysium looked beautiful, but it would stain my converter and cause very slow starts. I noticed that Liberty's Elysium would actually dry my feed and my nib so it could take 10 seconds before I actually start writing. I definitely won't be going back to Elysium and I experienced the same with 54th mass, but the slow starts weren't as bad. I am hoping you great folks can tell me what your favorite inks are for a Lamy Safari, or something that would work well for this pen. I am not too worried about it being waterproof, I just want something that looks nice, flows well, and won't cause problems with clogging. I ordered a bottle of Waterman's serenity blue and looking into Pelikan Royal Blue. Hopefully these inks might be good. Give me some suggestions please!! :)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jjrez0216

• ac12

• PaganArcher

• LizEF

Depends on where you live, here are a few old reliable inks.

• Waterman blue
  • Sheaffer blue
  • Parker blue
  • Pelikan blue (a dryer ink than Waterman)

and likely a few others.

I experienced what you are running into with LE. I have LE in a Parker 45, with a Medium nib (similar to your Lamy F nib)

A friend told me a trick that seems to make LE behave better. Mix 5 parts LE with 1 part water. Do this ink an ink vial, so you only mix a small amount of ink, to test this mix.

The Safari could also have a dry nib/feed and need the nib adjusted for more flow.

And when you change inks, CLEAN the pen well, to clean out all the old ink.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Depends on where you live, here are a few old reliable inks.

• Waterman blue
  • Sheaffer blue
  • Parker blue
  • Pelikan blue (a dryer ink than Waterman)

and likely a few others.

I experienced what you are running into with LE. I have LE in a Parker 45, with a Medium nib (similar to your Lamy F nib)

A friend told me a trick that seems to make LE behave better. Mix 5 parts LE with 1 part water. Do this ink an ink vial, so you only mix a small amount of ink, to test this mix.

The Safari could also have a dry nib/feed and need the nib adjusted for more flow.

And when you change inks, CLEAN the pen well, to clean out all the old ink.

Thanks ac12, I will look into it

I find Noodler's Midway Blue, at least in a wet pen, looks similar to Liberty's Elysium, if just a hair darker. It also doesn't have the tendencies for hard starts and drying on the nib.

I suspect the Waterman you ordered will do just fine. Also, I always think that when in doubt, use the ink manufactured by the same company as the pen. Beyond that, I have several Safaris using several Sailor inks, and they always seem to work well.

I don't have a blue Waterman, but the colors I do have from them are incredibly well behaved - even when I neglect them for a few to several days.

My personal-favorite blue with similar reliability is Iroshizuku Asa-Gao.

I have used the Waterman's Serenity Blue in a Charcoal Lamy Safari with an EF nib. I liked it. The pen behaved well with it, and it started with less trouble than the Montblack and Sheaffer blue blacks I had used in the Safari.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, absolutely faszinatingly interesting! :yikes:

I wonder, really wonder why hasn't anyone suggested Lamy ink for a Lamy pen? :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Interesting, absolutely faszinatingly interesting! :yikes:

I wonder, really wonder why hasn't anyone suggested Lamy ink for a Lamy pen? :rolleyes:

Possibly because some people find Lamy inks a little dry compared to others, not as bad as some Pelikan but not as good as those suggested.

Must admit that the Lamy green that is in cartridges (possibly bottles too but I have only used the cartridges) is a terrific colour.

I keep Serenity Blue in my Parker 51 Special and it starts first time every time. Even after no use for an extended period of time.

I have a not commercially available ink in my Al Star (1.1 mm stub) which works similarly. (Blackstone Green Cashmere) It has had everything from Pelikan 4001 blue black to Diamine Classic Red to Noodler's inks and more without issue for 18 years.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a dark lilac Safari with an EF nib. I have tried various inks in it, and they all seemed a bit dry. Recently I filled it with Iroshizuku Yama-budo and it was like a totally different pen. It just glides across the paper now. So maybe some of the Iroshizuku inks would be a good option for you to try?

Parker Quink blue or blue black

Diamine Mediterranean Blue

Iro Kon Peki

Would be my suggestions

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The first ink I ever purchased was Noodler's Polar Blue and I also had some issues with it. I'm still a noobie but that ink in my safari seems to have slow starts and the best way to get it writing it seems is to prime it before using it.

I'll recommend Iroshizuku and J. Herbin inks. Nice colors, well behaved and low maintenance.

I'm surprised to hear about Liberty's Elysium. I've used it in all manner of my pens and have had zero staining and zero flow issues. The only issues I have with it is on cheaper paper, it tends to bleed through on a wetter nib.