• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pennut

• RMN

• Erik Dalton

• Ghost Plane

Hold it farther back on the section so your fingers are away from the horns & the breather hole. Avoid inks renowned for their nib creep as that turns into section creep on Carenes. For some reason Herbin inks never had enough surface tension to behave well for me.

Try holding it up higher. You may be touching the "horns" of the nib. Not uncommon. Unless there is ink leakage there is nothing wrong with your pen. If it gets to be a problem you can carefully, with a sharp toothpick apply some FP shellac to seal the edges of the nib.

Check the threads here. This is a common topic and much has been written.

Yes, hold it a bit higher up.

I had the same problem when I got my first one a couple of years ago.

The horns were not seated properly, the adhesive was " gooped " up under the horns. I had the nib removed, all of the adhesive removed from the section and nib. Then put back together. Works perfectly now. Sadly it came from the factory in that condition. I guess all manufacturers have slip-ups on quality control issues from time to time.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Interesting - I've never had a problem with mine, and user either Herbin Perle Noir or Lamy blue ink in it. (I have the Lamy in there now)

Tom

Waterman Ideal - blue ink; Esterbrook 2048 - brown ink; Waterman Carene - black ink

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu204/CrazyVacationer/Pens/collection_sm.jpg

I've never had a seepage problem with either of my two Carène nibs. I suspect that the adhesive is applied by hand, and so is subject to variability.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Everytime I use one of my Carene's I get ink on my finger and thumb. Do others have this problem?

It's not a bug; it's a feature. ;)

Only one of mine does this...my first Carene, M nib, gold trim. Bought 1990-something.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Think of it as sea spray :rolleyes:

There is still something about the shape of the Carene. You don't have to write with them you just pick them up and twiddle.

Everything is sooooo smoooooth to the touch :wub:

Everytime I use one of my Carene's I get ink on my finger and thumb. Do others have this problem?

I appreciate the comments below. I was using Waterman green ink and will try an ink that is drier.

Basically, this is a form of nibcreep.

Apart from trying a dryer ink, you can lessen nibcreep (in any pen, not just the Carène) by observing the following.

Try to keep your pen nib-up during transport

When opening the pen, remove the cap nib upwards. First just "unclick" the cap, but leave the cap for 2 seconds, then lift of the cap quietly.

A lot of nibcreep is caused by yanking off the cap with force and speed, which will cause a vacuum under the cap, sucking out ink. So, easy does it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I appreciate the comments below. I was using Waterman green ink and will try an ink that is drier.

I think you missed the point. The problem is your fingers are touching the horns of the nib while you write. Grip it up higher, or have the nib fixed with pen adhesive (shellac).

If you start looking for dry inks you may not be happy wit the way the pen writes.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem for ages and dreaded uncapping my Carene as it always leaked ink (Herbin Lierre Sauvage).

After reading your suggestions,especially RMN's (thank you,Dick) I lifted the cap gently and changed the ink to Caran d'Ache's 'Amazon'.

I used to store the pen horizontally but now keep it nib-up and it's dry for the first time.

So it must have been the "wrong" ink for this particular pen I guess.

Now it has a new lease of life and I am not Mad (Pen) when I lift the cap and find that my fingers are clean.

Even storing it horizontally does not make any difference now.

Mad Pen is happy now!

I do not understand this. I have three Carenes now, in EF, F and M nib sizes. I never get ink on my hands or fingers from these pens. One of them sits in a Sheaffer Imperial desk pen holder, and I might have expected some such with that one, but no, it doesn't happen. Two of the nibs came from nibs.com, and they were probably checked out. Personally, I think these pens are too heavy, and they commit the cardinal sin of the caps being unpostable, but there are no leaks.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I had the same problem for ages and dreaded uncapping my Carene as it always leaked ink (Herbin Lierre Sauvage).

After reading your suggestions,especially RMN's (thank you,Dick) I lifted the cap gently and changed the ink to Caran d'Ache's 'Amazon'.

I used to store the pen horizontally but now keep it nib-up and it's dry for the first time.

So it must have been the "wrong" ink for this particular pen I guess.

Now it has a new lease of life and I am not Mad (Pen) when I lift the cap and find that my fingers are clean.

Even storing it horizontally does not make any difference now.

Mad Pen is happy now!

:) :) :)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~