Montblanc Airbus A380

Pravda

Came across this today. Quite an usual design, thought I would share it with you!

The nib overlay is interesting and the sheer size (large) of the pen was surprising. But what I found the most intriguing was the steel star! It looked really nice

fpn_1473944163__img_6058.jpg

fpn_1473944214__img_6055.jpg

fpn_1473944255__img_6056.jpg

fpn_1473944283__img_6057.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• Nicholas Green

• Pen Nut

• Tom Kellie

~ Pravda:

Thank you for posting these photos. They're unlike anything I've ever seen.

Is it a limited edition commemorative pen for the Airbus A380?

Are those gemstones circling it?

My first thought was that it resembled my childhood fantasies of what interstellar spacecraft might be like.

Very interesting.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

From a Bonhams auction a few years ago. It sold for a touch over £7000 GBP

MONTBLANC: Airbus A380 Skeleton Limited Edition 380 Fountain Pen

Montblanc pays tribute to a new milestone in aviation, the Airbus A 380. Crafted of gleaming 18 karat solid white gold, with 42 brilliant-cut diamonds encircling the captop, cap ring and cone. The breakthough double-decker design of the plane is reflected in the twin rows of portholes in the barrel, through which dark blue precious resin is glimpsed. A splendid instrument, one of Montblanc's most compelling designs. Medium 18K platinum-plated gold nib. Outer box, inner box, display box, booklet. Limited Edition: 091/380.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thanks for the information Pen Nut.

The price here is closer to £17,000 though

It does appear very sci-fi Tom Kellie and the unusual design along with metal star thats like mercury is definitely interesting :)

A used one was on ebay a few weeks ago. I think bidding stopped around $6500.

There is a much cheaper Starwalker A380 commemorative pen also. Those are much easier to find.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Pravda- is the nib a #9 size or #6? I could not determine from my research and so I did not bid much for the pen.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

"But what I found the most intriguing was the steel star! It looked really nice"

That 'steel star' is actually 18ct white gold ! I do agree it does look good.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I think its a bling and not meant for writing as the metal section is not something that the users would enjoy in all probabilities.

Pravda- is the nib a #9 size or #6? I could not determine from my research and so I did not bid much for the pen.

To be honest, I didn't pay attention :/ but the pen is considerably larger than a 149, so it must have been the same size at least. I remember it appeared to be wider too? It is definitely not a standard nib.

~ Pravda:

That third image is something else!

The glowing blue glints in the decorative openings – Wow!

It's about as sci-fi of a Montblanc fountain pen as one might imagine.

The craftsmanship on the nib is remarkable.

Glad that you posted these photos, showing what's possible.

Tom K.

Writing or collector's piece, it's a beauty and successfully realizes its purpose aesthetically, no?

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

I personally like pieces that mean something to me. To evoke a thought that has to do with either my culture, hobbies, family, work, etc. Not sure why I would want to celebrate the Airbus A380 :) of course, some people are into aviation so maybe it's for them.

I personally like pieces that mean something to me. To evoke a thought that has to do with either my culture, hobbies, family, work, etc. Not sure why I would want to celebrate the Airbus A380 :) of course, some people are into aviation so maybe it's for them.

Something I have wrestled with in the past. If you found a pen that really meant something to you but was not very attractive (ugly) would you buy and use it ?

Oh and that MB Airbus pen looks a bit like the Waterman Edson Silver LE in my opinion.

Something I have wrestled with in the past. If you found a pen that really meant something to you but was not very attractive (ugly) would you buy and use it ?

Oh and that MB Airbus pen looks a bit like the Waterman Edson Silver LE in my opinion.

If it's ugly I wouldn't buy it of course. If I found it attractive and I could relate to its idea then sure.

Could be an artist or author I like his works or a leader I admired his personna etc. The opposite therefore holds true, also.

For me, the Steinway series is remarkable, especially similar to this A380 model, the more expensive version with lacquered piano keys on the barrel; the horrifically expensive skeleton version is, well, horrifically expensive. I'm a pianist by hobby, yet, I'm not writing music (where I think that pen with an OBBB would be the bee's knees, hint hint Santa!), and I'm lucky enough to have a Steinway, would rather touch the real keys than those wrapped around the barrel. I think these pens, like the leather and wood recent versions, are fantastic tribute pieces. I suppose it's far easier to own a piano or a knife than it is to own an A380. ;)

I so get that. I love Miles Davis and the pen (I guess?) realizes his legacy musically and how he did it. That, OMG, it's the first MB I have seen that IMHO, is ugly, as in, I wish I could un see it. But that's from photos. 1) It may look different in person and in the hand. 2) It's looked quite different in two different photos. 3) Maybe most importantly, it could very well be just what someone wants.

Toss in the mix that I consider myself a modern minimalist. That said, the Honore de Balzac is drop dead gorgeous. Go figure!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• 2 weeks later...

This Picture of some of the pens in my collection shows the size of this pen compared to some of the other MontBlanc models.

post-118467-0-81379100-1474819824_thumb.jpg

As far as I am concerned it is the best pen in my collection and it is the pen that I generally carry. I love a heavy pen and the weight of this pen will astound you.

This pen's cap alone weighs about as much as an entire MB 149!

When I first saw this pen I was not immediately taken by it, but once I had handled it, I knew that it was a pen that I just had to have! It is a fantastic pen to wright with and the white gold does not show up finger prints that badly so this is the pen that I generally have inked.

Serenite and two Edson's eh.........we have similar tastes other than Montblanc of course :) So does the Airbus look a little, or even a very little, like the silver Edson le ?