'90S Model Omas Extra 557S Nib Collar Repair

Ego Id Veto

Hey all,

I recently got a sumgai deal on a second hand Omas (Ogiva? I don't know but it's the non-faceted one) Extra 557s.

Unfortunately as soon as I opened the box I noticed the nib collar is badly cracked in 2 places. I hear this is a very common problem in Omas pens, but considering how gorgeous this pen is, I'm keen to get it fixed.

I've emailed nibs.com regarding it, and they appeared hesitant to say whether or not it was repairable, and whilst I'm sure something as common as a simple nib collar would be easily obtainable for them, I'd like to know, if in the case they aren't able to replace the collar on this model due to not having the parts, how I would go about acquiring a new collar or having the current one repaired.

Does anyone other than Mottishaw do Omas repairs, or does anyone here know of anyone who would be able to machine a replacement if they're not available any more?

I've attached a photo of the collar for reference.

Thanks for any recommendations you guys can give!

post-104045-0-98999500-1473912349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ego Id Veto

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• esteroids

• fabri00

• Ego Id Veto

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The nib collar is not an easy part to obtain anymore. Nibs.com had such parts 5-6 years ago but I'm sure they are running out or have run out. The parts came from Omas and its not going to be easy getting parts from Omas now. The collar is ebonite and thin. There is no repairing your existing collar. You either find a new one or have someone turn a new one. To have someone make a one off replacement will not be cheap.

To find a new one, try penboard.de, Regina MArtini, and a few of the Europeans dealers. You could try fountainbel and see if he can fix the problem.

Machining a new one is not too hard although you will need to get some material. Ebonite is what the collars were made of but you can probably use something else. To have a new one made, you need some dimensions. It will take a few hours to set up the job and a few minutes to actually cut on a manual lathe and mill (You'll need both). My machinist charges $100/hr but he's very good. You can call around and see what local shops you have and what they might charge.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The nib collar Was not in ebonite.

Sa it is a part not difficult to be machined, and many Omas need it, im sure someone will start to make it.

Have you tried filling the pen and using it? I've seen many Omas pens with cracked collars in use with no adverse effects. Including a couple of mine.

I've also used some rosin type sealant, sticky but not adhesive, to fill the cracks. With a little heat the nib/feed pull out as normal.

Good luck!

I don't know if this collar will fit, but penboard.de has some for sale at this moment. Search for item 140084.

The nib collar Was not in ebonite.

Sa it is a part not difficult to be machined, and many Omas need it, im sure someone will start to make it.

If demand is high, it could be made a relatively low cost. A large number would have to be made to be economical. I can get a quote but it is not worth making unless the quantity is over 500.

The question is what materials should be used.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065