Big Mistake...

Lingomberry

I just bought a pilot legno 89s and tried to put a cartridge in it without checking what kind of cartridges it takes and broke the small plastic doodads inside the section. I still have the parts and may be able to super glue them back in. Is it possible to fix the pen? Is it possible to use the pen without those little plastic doodads inside the section?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lingomberry

• Flounder

• Erik Dalton

• ac12

I don't know of any practical way to fix/reattach the nipple.

The nipple is subject to a lot of stress when putting in a new cartridge and pulling the old one out. So simply gluing it won't work.

I second the recommendation to contact Pilot to see about a repair.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm actually fairly certain that one of the plastic bits wqs already broken when I got the pen so I'm going to try to exchange it. Failing that I will contact pilot and ask for a replacement section.

Pilot cartridges require very little effort to open. They're not pierced the way say Parker carts are pierced, the sealing disc is just pushed out of the way.

Consequently, the nipple can be long and made of plastic without snapping. The nipple is much larger in diameter than international standard carts etc, so is almost certain to break if you insert the wrong type. If Pilot won't help, maybe ask them if they can let you know if a cheaper model has the same nipple to cannibalise.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I'm actually fairly certain that one of the plastic bits wqs already broken when I got the pen so I'm going to try to exchange it.

Fairly certain or absolutely certain? Is it possible that you caused the damage by what you did? Retailers and repair centers are smarter than you think... Better to 'fess up and tell them what happened. A lot of repair centers will appreciate the truth and will cut you a break.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I'm fairly certain that only one of theach two tines if the nipple was there but it's possible I broke them both. I'll try talking to the store but I bet I'm out of luck.

I salute your optimism, but I wouldn't take that bet!

The converter is of course unsealed. At the mating end, it's just a tube, so there's no need for the raised area of the nipple to push a sealing disc out of the way - it won't matter if the raised part is snapped off.

With cartridges, the absense of that nipple extension will prevent the sealing disc being pushed out of the way for ink to flow down to the feed.

You do still have the option of opening the Pilot cartridges manually - though Pilot's neat capillary channel flow aid will be compromised. Your situation is not too dissilimar to using a certain 78G clone, which lacks a cart piercer.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Lucky%20659/Lucky%20659%20Pilot%2078G%20cart%20piercer.jpg

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I think you should take Ron Zorn's advice and fess up to pilot repair service. They may just send you the parts. Depending on who you bought it from, they may be able to mediate/facilitate a positive fix.

If not, you know that you can still use it with a converter.

Contacted pilot support and told them what happened but apparently this pen was never sold in the states so I'll have to contact pilot Japan. Not too worried, frankly, as I'm just using the converter. Not as much capacity but I like the option of using all those different varieties of ink.

• 4 weeks later...

Contacted pilot support and told them what happened but apparently this pen was never sold in the states so I'll have to contact pilot Japan. Not too worried, frankly, as I'm just using the converter. Not as much capacity but I like the option of using all those different varieties of ink.

Good deal. Glad you solved that. If I'm not mistaken this was feed only. Pilot will surely send you a feed.