The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Anyone Performs Modifications On (Metallic) Pen Bodies?

modification metal pen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 21:12

Custom nib grindings and modifications are very popular, but how about actual pen modifications?

Example scenarios:

I have a few Faber Castell Emotions in my collection that I love dearly, but I sometimes think that a bigger nib would look considerably better. The whole nib unit unscrews, leaving what essentially is just a piece of metal with some grooves on both ends. I was thinking if someone could modify the inner diameter of the section to fit a No6 sized collar.

I also have a lovely silver capped Fidelio. Although the pen writes like a dream and fits my hand perfectly, I can't stand the constant tarnishing. Would it be a good idea to either plate the cap with rhodium or apply any kind of coat to protect the metal?

So, my question is where can I find someone to do such modifications on my pens? Do you know of any pen makers working with metal? Every custom pen manufacturer I am aware of seems to only work on acrylics...

Sponsored Content

#2 Joseph B

Joseph B

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2016 - 21:33

One  suggestion is that you take the pen(s) to a reputable local machine shop with the specs/drawing of the nib assembly that you would like to use. They should be able to determine if there's enough metal thickness to increase the thread diameter. Let them know the value of the pen and how much it means to you, so they will be most careful if they take on the job.

Good machine shops, especially tool and die folks, routinely do projects more exacting and challenging than you require. The problem is the value of the pen vs. the value of the job, in that the shop stands to lose more than it will make if something goes wrong. A positive is that you may have several with same spec. so that once figured out the labor for the repeats will be less.

Before starting, carefully determine if there's an internal cap (that may not fit the new nib) as well as enough room in the main cap.

Others here may offer more cautions/suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Joseph B,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modification, metal pen

Sponsored Content

|