Pen Shows And Credit Cards

TheRealMikeDr

Hello!

I plan on attending the Ohio show coming up in a couple months. It will be my first pen show and from my research it seems that cash is preferred for purchases however I think I saw something recently (a video from the Pen Habit maybe) which stated that many vendors are starting to take credit cards now.

Curious for those who have attended shows recently - what's the percentage of vendors who are taking credit cards?

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Behike54

• TheRealMikeDr

• AltecGreen

• topaz

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also curious about this as well. I'm in the same situation as you, the November show will be my first pen show!!

It's hard to put a percentage besides since I run a show, I think in terms of number of tables rather than dealers.

Dealers that have an active online presence will almost certainly take credit cards. Some may already have you in their system. If I buy something from nibs.com in LA, they just bill me since they have my info. So vendors like the Andersons, Vanness, F-C all take credit cards.

It is a bit hit or miss with vendors that deal in the secondary market. Many pure vintage guys don't take credit cards. You have to remember that many of these guys are doing this as a hobby and most have day jobs. Thus no particular reason to take credit cards. Also cash is more useful for these dealers because they can turn around and use the cash to buy pens from other dealers. On the flip side, many of the vintage guys will take checks or you just settle up at a date. This is obviously only for people they know and trust.

Those who deal with both modern and vintage are more likely now to take credit cards. 5 or 6 years ago, it was much harder to find people taking credit cards.

Cash is still king at a show. It is the most flexible medium of exchange and it drives the show economy. I go to shows and spend a lot of money and I always bring cash. The cash I spend on the day before the show opens or early the first day is then spent by others during the whole weekend. With a credit card, it is less likely the payment flows down. For example, this year in LA I spent $10K on a collection of Italian pens. The person who sold me the pens then used that cash to buy Mabie Todds and other vintage American pens. Without the cash in hand, the person who sold me the pens would probably not have bought as much. Even large transactions at shows are done in cash. I know people who have acted as a neutral party in a deal at a pen show where they were asked to count the $60K in cash to make sure it was all there.

So if you are planning to buy mostly modern pens or inks and paper, then going all CC is probably ok. I would still bring some cash. If you are more interested in vintage pens, then it is better to have more cash on hand.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

While I took a fair amount of cash to my first one last year, many of the vendors were able to take credit cards. A friend who came with me had the unfortunate problem of his credit card bank deciding that his card was stolen, though, and they froze his card. So... if you are planning on using your card at a pen show and the pen show is not in your home town, you may need to let your credit card company know that you will be on the road.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Many businesses that come to pen shows can take cards, most individual dealers do not. Lots of us have pay pal though and can make transactions via that process. Cash is still king with most pen show vendors though.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks - this makes perfect sense. Cash for vintage and CC for modern pens from full-time dealers.

A few vintage dealers take CC. As mentioned above, many vintage dealers will take Paypal. Paypal also works for dealers not from the US. Only a few international dealers bother to set-up US accounts. This applies whether they sell modern or vintage. Cash is faster when it is busy. Vendors are using phone type readers and not full sized C/C machines and those can be slow. WiFi can be spotty at shows too and dealers may have to leave the ballroom to get internet access. This varies from show to show.

For cash, it is better to bring the cash with you. Hotels have ATMs but on a big weekend rush, they can run out of cash quickly.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

A few vintage dealers take CC. As mentioned above, many vintage dealers will take Paypal. Paypal also works for dealers not from the US. Only a few international dealers bother to set-up US accounts. This applies whether they sell modern or vintage. Cash is faster when it is busy. Vendors are using phone type readers and not full sized C/C machines and those can be slow. WiFi can be spotty at shows too and dealers may have to leave the ballroom to get internet access. This varies from show to show.

For cash, it is better to bring the cash with you. Hotels have ATMs but on a big weekend rush, they can run out of cash quickly.

Thanks for the insight! I plan on bringing cash (500 - 600) and am hoping to plan according on how/when to use it. Frankly I don't like the idea of traveling (even though this is a short trip - 2 hour drive) with that much - much less walking around with it - I use my cc for most everything these days.

Paypal is a nice option as it's tied to my cc - so that work as well. Can't wait to contribute to the pen show economy!!

On those rare days I go to a pen show without my $50K in hundreds cash log, I am usually able to use PayPal. For people i know or like or have beat up in the negotiation, i use the friend and family option since I am gettign the pen there and then and there is no chance of getting scammed by a stranger.

Enjoy your first show. Hold on to that cash tight but be ready to let it go when the moment presents itself. You will know. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I don't want to go off topic, but there are many good reasons to accept credit card, even if you are just a hobbyist. An average American (or Canadian) is ready to spend more on a credit card. You can register for SquareUp and receive a free credit card reader, it won't cost you a dime. They don't have any monthly fees or a minimal number of transactions. Whenever you use them, they would charge you a percentage that you can calculate into your price. Most of the time, the money is deposited to your account within 24 hrs. (I'm not affiliated with them.)

Fill your pens, not the landfill

To choose Ohio for a first pen show is pretty good, it is one of those shows where no distractions force you to rush... and there is many vendors taking credit cards, Enjoy it !

Hello!

I plan on attending the Ohio show coming up in a couple months. It will be my first pen show and from my research it seems that cash is preferred for purchases however I think I saw something recently (a video from the Pen Habit maybe) which stated that many vendors are starting to take credit cards now.

Curious for those who have attended shows recently - what's the percentage of vendors who are taking credit cards?

Thanks!

Mike, I am a life-long Clevelander who is currently on loan to IN. It will be my first pen show, too.

Let me know if you are going on your own and want to get coffee or make a round or two while you are there.

I'm psyched about it, I won't lie!

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

I can't wait myself! The last show I went to was around 10-14 years ago (I think my daughter was around 5 years old). Does anyone at the show offer pen repairs? I have 2 Parker Vacs and a Balance ( beautiful flex nib) that need new sacs.

Along with credit cards, does anyone do trades?

Edited by topaz

I can't wait myself! The last show I went to was around 10-14 years ago (I think my daughter was around 5 years old). Does anyone at the show offer pen repairs? I have 2 Parker Vacs and a Balance ( beautiful flex nib) that need new sacs.

Along with credit cards, does anyone do trades?

Check with the official website to be sure for this year (just to see who all will have tables), but I have definitely gotten pens repairs done at the Ohio Pen Show the last couple of years. A good chunk of my discretionary budget is probably going for repairs this year as well, although there are definitely pens on my shopping list.

As for trades, I couldn't say for certain at that show because it hasn't come up for me (as opposed to DCSS). But I would guess it's likely, especially if you pay to get in early (i.e., as opposed to just buying a day pass).

I really like the Ohio show. It's not as big as DCSS (which can be overwhelming), but it's still pretty big. And the focus tends to be more on vintage pens, which I personally prefer (YMMV). I wish I could go for the entire weekend, but it tends to always be up against something the same weekend that I also want to do. The first year I day-tripped it on Friday, which is doable from Pittsburgh, but I was a wreck when I got home. Now, I get a hotel room about 20 minutes away -- a lot less expensive, something faintly resembling breakfast included in the price, and pretty much all highway driving. Is it as plush? Of course not. And no pool to hang out in when the show closes for the night (and because I have to drive, I can't really have a beer with dinner). But it means I have more of a shopping budget for the show itself (always a good thing :thumbup:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I take cash and items to trade. I have never used a credit card, but not because no one will take them, but rather because I don't want to go into debt, even temporarily for a pen purchase.

Yes, there will be those that do onsite repairs and adjustments and it can be enjoyable to watch the skilled masters of repair and adjustment work on your pens live.

I trade because I enjoy trading. I have noticed however that I am typically the only one doing so. I did once convince a friend of mine to try it and he was quite successful, though quite awkward about it and didn't find the activity fun, though he did find it an interesting experience and he liked the outcome. My friend is however one who still complains about a trip he took to Hawaii, one he didn't enjoy, while he pines for a more solitary life in the mountains, but has a wife that likes the city too much and a son who now works & lives in NYC, a place he has no use for, but to visit FPH.

To trade, you need to like it, you need to know what you have, you need to know what you are interested in getting, and you likely need a little cash in case what you want costs a bit more than your trade value.

Don't expect to be able to trade anything of low value for anything of high value. It won't happen as no one wants anything of low value. Sell your low value extras on EBay.

People who are willing to trade with you either are those with special interests that what you have to trade fits into, enjoy trading themselves, or can use what you have to trade to make a little money on. I have made an interesting variety of trades over the years, but those tales are for another posting.

Cash will give you a lot more leverage if you end up negotiating on price. It's not just avoiding the 3-5% credit card fee; as noted above, cash also allows the recipient to re-spend sales proceeds immediately, and the ease of a cash transaction is especially appreciated when sellers have their hands full dealing with multiple shoppers. I bet that on average you'd end up paying 10-15% less with cash when dealing with vintage sellers.

I have definitely gotten pens repairs done at the Ohio Pen Show the last couple of years. A good chunk of my discretionary budget is probably going for repairs this year as well, although there are definitely pens on my shopping list.

Ruth, would that be a good place to see if one can find a Lamy 2K feed?

All I have heard or read is that getting a nib or nib and feed is much easier than just a lousy feed. <--- frustration

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Ruth, would that be a good place to see if one can find a Lamy 2K feed?

All I have heard or read is that getting a nib or nib and feed is much easier than just a lousy feed. <--- frustration

Modern parts are very hard to find.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Very good point on the vendors and cash. I know when I go to a show to sell, I also go to a show to buy. Most of what I make goes right back into buying pens that I see and want at the show. So I would rather get cash for pen sales. Also someone mentioned trading. If you have something I want and want something I have I love to deal and swap at shows!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Mike, I am a life-long Clevelander who is currently on loan to the IN. It will be my first pen show, too!

Let me know if you are going on your own and want to get coffee or make a round or two while you are there.

I'm psyched about it, I won't lie!

Actually my wife will be along with me which will be both good and bad:

1) Good - she will stop me from spending too much money on these silly pens

2) Bad - she will stop me from spending too much money on these silly pens

Our plan is to get up early for the 2.5 hour drive from our eastern Cleve burb to Dublin.

Register and hit the floor at the opening bell at 9:00.

Partake in the madness until I've had my fill or 5:00 hits.

Find a fine dinning establishment (part of the deal I made with her) to relax and eat.

Head back to the Crown Plazza to ink new pens and document the actions of quick brown animals etc...

Roll out early Sunday morning and head back home.

Should be a good time - I've been working quite a bit on my want list (Parker Vacumatic from the early 40's, Parker Duofold from 20's or 30's, Edison Mina, a nice used MB 149, Franklin Christoph model 3 or 20, etc etc)