Pelikan M200 Ink Flow Problem

user33

I had posted a reply to this old thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291076-m400-no-start-issues-unless-feed-fully-primed/ , but was not able to receive any help, so I am starting this new thread, hope that may be someone could reply and help.

My problem was exactly the same as described by the OP in the thread I linked above, and I had followed the advice from the posts on that thread but was unable to solve the problem.

The wait time to have the pen repaired by Indy-pen-dance is over 6 months, Richard Binder himself is no longer servicing the pens/nibs purchased from him, I sent the pen to a third party pen repair service (someone who has high reputation from this forum, but I won't name the name here) for repair but they did not fix the problem, it took a lot of await time as well, about 3 months, plus the money wasted which I could had used to purchase a new nib, so the only rational solution as this point is to seek help from this forum, and hope to fix the feed/flow problem myself.

I am not a native English speaker, I can not describe my problem better than the description from the other thread about an exact same problem as mine, as quoted below:

I have to fully prime the feed by pushing the plunger down till I see the fins saturated with ink. It then writes but only when the plunger is at the down position. Once the ink in the feed is used up, the pen shuts down. No new ink enters the feed and onto the nib.

Also, on another experiment, when I try to return the plunger back to the top position (ie blind cap fully closed) after saturating the feed, I can see the saturated fins get sucked dry and the pen will no longer write. I even repeated the saturation of the feed and even let a couple of drops pour out only to find either the pen run dry after the ink in the fins is used up, or when I re-tighten the blind cap.

I'd like to find out what the heck is the problem. I've never experienced it on any of my other pens.

I hope one of you FP experts could help me with this extremely frustrating problem I have for years with this pen.

Thank you so much in advance!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• user33

• Matlock

• Erik Dalton

• SpecTP

correct, exactly as described as the quoted post. I can manually prime the feed, but once the ink on the feed is used up by writing, the ink from the body won't flow to the feed naturally.

Are you sure this is a nib problem? Could it be that there is too much air in the reservoir? how do you fill the pen?

I don't know what else may have caused the problem, I emailed Richard and he thinks that the feed is dirty and instructed me how to flush, soak, and flush, as others had also suggested, but I had flush so many times and soaked with ammonia solution and also with hot water, but was not able to get it to flow.

I fill the pen by submerge the nib into the ink bottle, turn the piston, until the barrel is filled with the ink, I don't think there is any air in the reservoir after each fill, the problem likely is the opposite: the air is not able to enter the reservoir, because of the dirty feed that does not allow the air to flow back up, hence the ink is not able to naturally flow down, just a guess.

Edited by user33

I am by no means an expert but after all this cleaning you have done, it doesnt seem likely the feed is blocked. Unless you have used an ink not appropriate for fountain pens, like fount india, scribtol or another caligraphy ink. Why not try to fill the pen the way Pelikan suggests here?

Edited by fplover01

I used the ink Richard Binder suggested, Waterman black ink, so ink is not an issue, but thanks for your suggestion.

Some suggested soaking the feed in ammonia solution for one week, but I think that may only be suited if the feed had been inked with the permanent ink, in my case, ink is not an issue.

Really frustrated, may be I need to buy a steel nib unit and swap out the feed for mine? I could do that actually, because it would be still cheaper than have it repaired, but I just can't believe there is no solution to the problem other than swapping out the feed.

Knocking out the feed from the collar is a tricky task.

Do it wrong and you damage/destroy the collar or feed. Been there, done that. :(

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Knocking out the feed from the collar is a tricky task.

Do it wrong and you damage/destroy the collar or feed. Been there, done that. :(

Had watched an youtube video on that, looks very simple, if follow the instruction properly, I can't imagine how it could go wrong, unless one makes gross mistakes by either not knowing what he is doing, or is just careless or not using the right tools.

Someone posted that if cleaning did not solve the problem, knockoff the nib may not solve the problem either, just need to figure out what may had been the causes for this wired problem. Hope someone here knows and is willing to reply.

Sometimes all the soaking in the world isn't enough to removed a clog. If this were my pen, the next thing that I would try is flossing the slit between the tines with a brass shim to remove any particulates that may be trapped there.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

in order to floss the whole slit, I would need to knockoff the nib and feed from the collar, correct? I might need to do that anyway, I have running out of the available options at this point, if that doesn't fix it, I would need to by a new steel nib unit to swap out the feed I guess? --> it would still be cheaper than sending the pen out for repair and wait at least 6 months in queue.

By the way, why are they so cruel with their own customer's time? why can't they hire a temp or contractor to take care some of the most basic repair/service work. Can you imagine buying a car and had to leave the car with the dealer for 6 months in order to get a routine service? but it seemed people don't have problem with that when it comes to servicing their pens, I just don't get it!

Edited by user33

If you are considering buying a new nib please be advised that M200 nibs are usually sold with both feed and collar, ready to be screwed into the section.

If you are considering buying a new nib please be advised that M200 nibs are usually sold with both feed and collar, ready to be screwed into the section.

yes, I know, but there can be found on Amazon or eBay for as low as $25 + S&H, still beats sending out the pen for repair in terms of cost, and not to mention the outrageous wait time!

Not by choice, but I am forced to learn to do the "pro" repair work on my own, because I really don't have any other option. I will be making my own knockoff block, and taking the risk of damaging or destroying my M200 custom gold nib, which now cost $190 plus $40 to grind to cursive italic, plus shipping, from Indy-pen-dance! what a bloody madness I am getting myself into.

As suggested above, clean the slit with a brass shim first. Start at the end closest to the barrel and slide forward, being careful to avoid going too deep. Do this basic step before trying something risky.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

As suggested above, clean the slit with a brass shim first. Start at the end closest to the barrel and slide forward, being careful to avoid going too deep. Do this basic step before trying something risky.

Thanks!

I don't have access to a piece brass shim, is there anything I could get from a local hardware store that I can use for this purpose? otherwise, I guess I could hit Amazon for it.

Actually, a second thought: since I had sent the pen to a repair shop for feed cleaning and nib smoothing not long ago, which, didn't fix my flow problem, I would assume that they would had flossed the slit as part of the nib smoothing and feed cleaning service, since that should be an essential nib cleaning procedure for them to perform.

That didn't fix the problem then, it's highly unlikely that flossing it again would fix the problem now.

Try getting a cheap replacement nib unit. If this cures the problem you will know that the problem was with the original nib unit. Problem solved. If not then you have a problem with the pen (unlikely). As we are talking about a M200 you will not be spending a huge amount. Good luck.

Peter

Try getting a cheap replacement nib unit. If this cures the problem you will know that the problem was with the original nib unit. Problem solved.

Problem cause could be identified by that approach (which I had mentioned earlier that I had planned to do), but not solved, because I want to keep my original gold nib.

Problem cause could be identified by that approach (which I had mentioned earlier that I had planned to do), but not solved, because I want to keep my original gold nib.

Sorry, but you say you have a M200 which does not have a gold nib, or did you upgrade your nib?

Peter