Jinhao X750 Fude Nib... What To Do With This Thing?

mivox

So, this is an interesting pen. I mean, for <$5 shipped (ebay), there is nothing to complain about at all. I had to seat the nib/feed a little tighter in the section, and other than that, it's surprisingly nice for the price (like everyone says about them)...

But what in heaven's name am I going to do with this pen? haha Once I figure out a writing style that works consistently with it, I can see it being fantastic for greeting cards and envelopes and fancy things like that... but for the most part? I suspect I will end up putting a "plain" #6 nib on it, so it gets used more than twice a year. Anyone else using one of these fun things on a more frequent basis? I've seen that some folks use them for sketching, but I think that would drive me insane until I get a better handle on controlling the line width.

Excuse the handwriting... it looks absolutely terrible when I try to use my normal writing style. The fact that I'm left-handed doesn't help, because the nice sharp 'swoosh' effect a fude achieves at the end of strokes in Chinese calligraphy is pretty much limited to right-handed use.

post-123952-0-10667300-1473799481_thumb.png

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mivox

• Sailor Kenshin

• sidthecat

• queerspaceman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like your handwriting: it's stylish.

You can do a lot with a fude nib...try working with its brush-emulating qualities.

I like your handwriting: it's stylish.

You can do a lot with a fude nib...try working with its brush-emulating qualities.

Well thanks! It looks like a mess to me... haha But maybe a mess with potential for refinement

I guess the current plan is to play with letterforms until I figure out a somewhat consistent style that shows off its swooshiness to the best (albeit lefty) advantage? It'll give me something to do when it's slow at work. ;-)

I second that your handwriting is quite cool... also, huh. I've been meaning to try out a fude nib. Interesting.

Thanks! Still not seeing it, but glad to hear it. haha

No affiliation, but this ebay seller is where I got it. $4 and change, and way faster shipping than I expected: http://stores.ebay.com/laonan123/ No excuse not to try one at that price! ;-)

I don't recommend putting expensive ink in it though... I have a whole new appreciation for how miserly my Lamy EFs are now. lol

Good handwriting!

The fude nib is design to write Chinese or japanese character.

If you want , check out the following in Youtube

I'd seen the top video before... it's hypnotic to watch! :-)

Edited by mivox

I just picked up a Sailor Profit with a FUDE. I over paid, but I do adore it because it absolutely abuses my ink supply. I've been using it to test inks which would clog most pens. Of course since I saw your link, I had to go find the Jinhao too. I'm not sure if I can possibly use up my ink supply without nibs that use an insane amount of ink.

So, you asked what you can do with this pen. 1. CRVs - those are Co-Razy-Views - you write on 1/2 of the paper and then send the letter to a pen pal to write on the other side then post your response. You can talk about the ink or the nib or the paper....or anything else. 2. Zentangles. These FUDE nibs are AMAZING for doodling.

Have fun!!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I hate to admit it, but I got sick of using these nibs on a couple of my Jinhao pens, but as I liked the pens, instead of replaceing the nibs I simply just straightened them with pliers and they write perfectly!!! I know I should not have done this, but it was an interesting experiment.

I just picked up a Sailor Profit with a FUDE. I over paid, but I do adore it because it absolutely abuses my ink supply. I've been using it to test inks which would clog most pens. Of course since I saw your link, I had to go find the Jinhao too. I'm not sure if I can possibly use up my ink supply without nibs that use an insane amount of ink.

Oh my goodness, I was AMAZED how quick it slurped through a full converter of ink! haha I'm going to put some old cheap ink I have around to figure out a writing style I like for it... Then I'm absolutely hitting the Herbin 1670s for holiday cards. Right after I buy some spray fixatIve to keep the sparkles in place. ;-)

So, you asked what you can do with this pen. 1. CRVs - those are Co-Razy-Views - you write on 1/2 of the paper and then send the letter to a pen pal to write on the other side then post your response. You can talk about the ink or the nib or the paper....or anything else. 2. Zentangles. These FUDE nibs are AMAZING for doodling.

Doodling is definitely on the menu while I figure out how this thing works best left-handed... hahaha

I hate to admit it, but I got sick of using these nibs on a couple of my Jinhao pens, but as I liked the pens, instead of replaceing the nibs I simply just straightened them with pliers and they write perfectly!!! I know I should not have done this, but it was an interesting experiment.

Aww. I feel bad for the nibs. lol

I like the nib enough to keep it, but the pen enough that I just bought another $4 special with a regular nib. If I decide I don't care for the medium nib width, I think I'll venture into the wilds of buying #6 nibs loose, and swapping them around. :-)

• 1 month later...

Any users here who absolutely detest their fude nib and will be willing to send it to me? I am very curious to try it, as I haven't been too satisfied with how my Chinese characters look with a regular nib.

I ordered a Jinhao X750 off a seller on Amazon Marketplace, and even though the picture and description says that it's the calligraphy nib, I got a regular old #6 steel nib. The seller isn't responding and it's too late to ask for a return. That would make it the second time that a fude nib hasn't made it to me.

So...if anyone wants it off their hands, I'd be happy to oblige! Let me know!

• 2 weeks later...