Help Deciding Which European Pen To Get?

Bunny_Police

I second taking a look at the Italix range from Mr Pen. The pens are less than £100, but do come with wonderful nibs.

I've been very impressed with the nibs on Faber-Castell's Loom, so I can only imagine that the Graf Von Castell range will be something wonderful.

Other brands worth considering in the Visconti range with lovely colours and nibs or the Lamy 2K - which is a piston filler with a springy nib and a nice ink capacity. Ideal for a high-end student pen.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bunny_Police

• stephanos

• Bo Bo Olson

• amk

How many pens do you have or had?

What do you want the nib to do?...if you don't blow all your money after 3-4 pens...a nail EF and B, and two semi-vintage F &M nibs, you would be ready to get into semi-flex......and you have enough money to do all that.

As 'noobie' most want butter smooth.....super skinny nib....Japanese then.

I would suggest going cheaper....a nice colorful Pelikan 200 with an EF, F, M and B nib....so you can have fun....and a slew of inks at least 10, and good to better paper. You need both boring vivid supersaturated inks for your EF nib and nifty two toned shading inks for your other nibs.

The Pelikan 200's nib is a springy 'true' regular flex that is as good as the Pelikan gold or steel semi-vintage 'true' regular flex nibs of the '80-97. Really a good nib....I preach that often........even though I have a good hand full of semi-vintage and vintage 400's finally bought a 215....slightly heavier pen, and a new and vintage 200......the nib of a 200 is 1/2 a size narrower than the modern fat and blobby 400/600 which is semi-nail, and don't have the nice ride of a 200.

The 400/600 is butter smooth semi-nail...and there are many real beautiful 600's out there. But I suggest the better nib of the 200. (Yes, you have to post the pen....gently stick the cap on the back of the pen....it gives the great balance a Standard or Medium Large pens has....regular Large pens are clunky and have no real balance.)..........again, take your time so you understand what you really want.

I say 'true' regular flex, in that use to be the normal flex found on many pens twenty years and before. That stopped because the cross over Ball Point Barbarians bent too many nibs, so the 'normal' nib is now a nail or a semi-nail.

Later you with the left over money you can order from Penboard.de a '50-65 semi-flex nib for your 200. or three, one an OB....then you'd be set for life with only one pen.

Actually never happen....but sounds good in theory. :unsure:

But if you want a bling pen....bling pens walk.

Way back when...1971...I bought a sterling silver P-75 set, to go to collage with. My mother told me not too, in like all the other fountain pens I ever owned...it would walk....and walk faster than a Zippo lighter.

Zippo lighters had a life of 6 weeks or less. Storm King, the cheap version...had folks running after me to give me back my cheap lighter...they lasted 2 years or more.

I did not take the P-75 to collage, so still have it.

The chance of you finishing your university studies with an expensive pen is

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful responses :) As a few of you have suggested, I'll make sure that I don't rush into this purchase, and take my time until something really appeals to me.

In response to Bo Olson, I already have a collection of over 40 vintage and modern fountain pens, and I have different nibs on most of them that would tick many of your suggestions.

I completely agree with your suggestion of getting a few cheap ballpoints, and although I'd love to bring a nice fountain pen to university, I understand that I'll have to avoid taking anything too expensive :P

I just thought I'd point out that this pen wouldn't be something that I'd look to take to university with me (not at first anyway!), so there's no real limit to how flashy it can look :)

I'll take a look at many of the companies and models that people have suggested on here and let you know what I come back with shortly. I'm surprised at the number of pen companies there are that I hadn't heard of yet!

Just two other points:

First, I don't know about where you'll be studying, but fleamarkets/antiques markets are very common in the UK, and it is possible to find some interesting pens there. Such markets can either be held weekly, or perhaps once a month, or whatever. Often it's just the standard and rather boring old Parker offerings, but it's quite possible to find something pleasant that will fix up quite nicely, and which is very much a British product. For example, I was given a very nice Swan eyedropper by someone who found it at an antiques market. It was not at all expensive, and cleaned up beautifully. If you like the 'hunt', then that may also be a good way to go.

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about taking a pricy pen to university as long as you are careful (unless it's blingy or obviously expensive, such as a Montblanc).

Actually, if you'll be living in student accommodation or in a student area, then (without wanting to be alarmist) your risk of theft is probably higher from your dwelling. (I know of cases where students have been burgled, have replaced their stolen items, and then been burgled again the following week.)

We have a fountain pen review section, that you can look at and get a good idea of the looks.

I am very glad you have a good selection of vintage and modern pens.

That makes it all the harder to suggest a pen.

There are some very nice celluloid pens...some in Europe and a few from America. Some real good hand turned ones in America. Edison makes real sharp pens :thumbup: and will tune the nib, or even make it semi-flex.

I like some of the vintage ones, but modern does the eyes nice too. Omas makes some nice celluloid style pens, but some folks like them from 15-20 years ago better....and if it's grand enough who cares if it's old...if it's better.

I found the now shut down...fancy Conway Stewarts very classy. They can still be had somewhere. Top of the line in looks and the nib work in the latter production was done by John Swobada....Oxnard, here on the Com. He also does nib work and is a name for nibs....but hates the word Nibmeister, but his work is very well through of.

I don't think they are piston pens....but they are real Classy.

Krone is a pen that is not appreciated here....is expensive and has many distinctive models. Not my cup of tea but is for many or it would not still be a world brand. Some are a tad garnish....there is very many models for at least your cost.

If you want to go an extra yard, Watch Art....a moderator here can make you a new and distinct new Binde for your Pelikan....the binde is the 'plastic' cover over the works of the barrel. You can find some of his work in this section over the last couple of days or nibs and tines subsection.

Then you could have a 400/600 or 800 like very, very few others in the world.

With out doing that, there are some real great Pelikan 600's too in their City selection....or the others blue o'blue and others of that green o'green and so on.Both sub sets are real nice.

If I had the money....I'd have at least 7-8 600's and of that 3 of the city ones. The Grand Place (in Brussels) is my favorite. The other city ones are different enough to satisfy any one's taste direction.

I have an MB Woolf...that drew me 10 yards through the pen shop...and my eyes are not the sharpest....and it's 'just' a black and gold pen....'just', and the bling engraving on the monotone gold nib is for my eyes only. :drool:

It's one of my 'fancy' pens....146's and 149's are after all sort of understated and plain Jane.

The Writer's MB's have a good selection of fancy pens.

A Pelikan Toledo m700 is a bit more than you want to give out, the 900 quite a bit more, but they can be had used/Vintage for about what you want to spend.

Have fun dithering.... :happyberet: :)

Humm it is the perfect time to buy oil stocks...... B) :roller1: They don't have an evil enough smilie here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Stephanos' suggestion of getting to know flea markets is a great one if you have enough time. Visit a good big car boot sale and you'll probably learn more about British culture in three or four hours than you ever could from a book... and you may well find some nice pens too if you keep your eyes open. Many towns still have 'junk shops' as well as somewhat more upmarket antiques centres - some putting ridiculous prices on below-user-grade rubbish pens, others willing to sell you a Parker 51 for five quid.

You'll probably also come across Platignums and Osmiroids in some quantities. Earlier Platignums can be quite nice, but after the 1950s they slid into junker territory. Osmiroids have a replaceable nib system similar to Esterbrook, and the nibs can be quite nice even if there's not much special about the pens.

Watch out for 'English Duofolds'. Lovely, lovely pens with fantastic nibs.

And vintage Conway Stewarts, Swans, Burnhams (wow! lovely celluloid!)... lots to look out for.

Should you have time for a visit the other side of the Channel, the weekend flea market at Porte de Vanves, Paris, is easily reached by metro, and I've had some luck getting nice pens there. But get there early - people are already thinking about packing up by 11 in the morning and it's all over by one in the afternoon.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Pelikan M1000? It is a big bad European pen with "an even bigger and badder" nib. Yes, the last sentence was a bit of disservice to the English language, but it really is a fantastic pen in every way. No picture prepares you for the way the nib sits at the end of it and just delivers ink onto paper. Subtle black or classic Green - it is the most direct alternative to "not buying a MB (149)".

+1

How many pens do you have or had?

What do you want the nib to do?...if you don't blow all your money after 3-4 pens...a nail EF and B, and two semi-vintage F &M nibs, you would be ready to get into semi-flex......and you have enough money to do all that.

As 'noobie' most want butter smooth.....super skinny nib....Japanese then.

I would suggest going cheaper....a nice colorful Pelikan 200 with an EF, F, M and B nib....so you can have fun....and a slew of inks at least 10, and good to better paper. You need both boring vivid supersaturated inks for your EF nib and nifty two toned shading inks for your other nibs.

The Pelikan 200's nib is a springy 'true' regular flex that is as good as the Pelikan gold or steel semi-vintage 'true' regular flex nibs of the '80-97. Really a good nib....I preach that often........even though I have a good hand full of semi-vintage and vintage 400's finally bought a 215....slightly heavier pen, and a new and vintage 200......the nib of a 200 is 1/2 a size narrower than the modern fat and blobby 400/600 which is semi-nail, and don't have the nice ride of a 200.

The 400/600 is butter smooth semi-nail...and there are many real beautiful 600's out there. But I suggest the better nib of the 200. (Yes, you have to post the pen....gently stick the cap on the back of the pen....it gives the great balance a Standard or Medium Large pens has....regular Large pens are clunky and have no real balance.)..........again, take your time so you understand what you really want.

I say 'true' regular flex, in that use to be the normal flex found on many pens twenty years and before. That stopped because the cross over Ball Point Barbarians bent too many nibs, so the 'normal' nib is now a nail or a semi-nail.

Later you with the left over money you can order from Penboard.de a '50-65 semi-flex nib for your 200. or three, one an OB....then you'd be set for life with only one pen.

Actually never happen....but sounds good in theory. :unsure:

But if you want a bling pen....bling pens walk.

Way back when...1971...I bought a sterling silver P-75 set, to go to collage with. My mother told me not too, in like all the other fountain pens I ever owned...it would walk....and walk faster than a Zippo lighter.

Zippo lighters had a life of 6 weeks or less. Storm King, the cheap version...had folks running after me to give me back my cheap lighter...they lasted 2 years or more.

I did not take the P-75 to collage, so still have it.

The chance of you finishing your university studies with an expensive pen is nil.

Hang around and see what semi-vintage 70s-mid '90s and vintage pens '65 and before, are good, you can get 5-6 of them for that price....and have as good or even better than modern. Better nibs, better balance.

Do not get a cartridge pen in cartridges are super expensive....buy two semi-vintage or vintage piston pens and you are good for a 14 hour scribble day. Converters hold too little ink. Many converters have problems too.

Just fill your pens every day after homework is done...and you will never run out..........YOU NEED A CHEAP BALL POINT TO LOAN....1000% NEED. Otherwise some Jack Hammer Ball Point Barbarian will grab your pen out of your hand to bend the nib....must be 100 posts on that.

The main secrete is do not hurry, your pen purchases.

You can get a a good brag bike or cheap motorcycle for what you want to spend.. ...think about that.

In you are not buying a pen to later sell....have your name engraved into it with gold letters so it don't walk away in someone's pocket. Back in the Days of One Man, One Pen, that was a mark of Class............today with everyone buying with an idea of perhaps selling the pen later, that is not a good idea.

Best bet....buy a nice vintage pen for up to 100 pounds and get your name engraved in it. That only costs 10% less when you sell it, than buying it used....and it's hard for a thief to keep it, or sell it.

I agree with a lot of what you said except regarding cartridges. If you're spending £600+ on a pen the price of cartridges is minimal (plus you can always refill the to save money if you really care). Some cartridges also have close to the same capacity as some piston fills but are much easier to clean. There are benefits to both.