Noodler's American Aristocracy

white_lotus

Well hello, and welcome to this review of Noodler's American Aristocracy ink. This ink was recently released in the UK and the US, apparently at just two shops: PurePens in the UK and Goulet Pen Company in the US. The Goulet shop is sold out. Apparently the Brits weren't too keen on the ink as PurePens seems to have it in stock.

I was one of those brave enough to take a chance on the ink. I'm quite happy that I did as I like the ink, though honestly I couldn't tell you which of the three "flavors" it could possibly be. But then again, I couldn't tell the different between Madeira, sherry, or port either. In appearance, the inks is a muted burgundy. When I compare it directly against a brown ink, you can clearly see it's not brown. So I didn't get one of the purple bottles. But that's OK as it didn't matter to me which I received.

The ink does dry quickly due to sinking into the paper and that can be a problem on absorbent papers, such as the inkjet paper used as one test case. The paper is too absorbent and you get quite a bit of showthrough, and ghosts of bleedthrough. But on better paper there was no problem.

I tested on my usual papers Mohawk via Linen (MvL), Tomoe River (TR), and Hammermill 28 lb inkjet (Hij).

The ink is somewhat water resistant since it gets into the paper so quickly. Washing 4 ounces of water over the writing left a solid ghost that was easily legible.

The bottle/label which I did get ink on due to the bottle being so full. But that is a Noodler's benefit.

fpn_1473537310__img_4707.jpg

fpn_1473537337__img_4708.jpg

The ink can easily appear brownish, muted red-violet, or muted purple/violet depending on paper and lighting. And it has a pleasant vintage look to it. So definitely not a supersaturated ink.

fpn_1473537583__dscn1440.jpg

fpn_1473537984__dscn1445.jpg

My fiddling with the color adjustment probably made this appear too purple-y.

fpn_1473538025__dscn1436.jpg

The drops on a wet paper towel show red, green, and black dyes. Didn't expand so much and that could be due to the quick-drying ingredient.

fpn_1473538098__dscn1447.jpg

This should be a little more muted looking here, but you get the idea.

fpn_1473538186__img_4704.jpg

And here you get an idea of the showthrough and bleedthrough on the inkjet paper.

fpn_1473538240__dscn1446.jpg

And here is a close-up.

fpn_1473538880__dscn1450.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• white_lotus

• Sailor Kenshin

• visvamitra

I really like what you have shown me, but I am startled that the batches are such different colors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I really like what you have shown me, but I am startled that the batches are such different colors.

I agree, I like this ink a lot , but is the idea that if you want to have all shades you are basically trying out your luck with each bottle and hope you get one different that the one you previously had.

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

I think you have to go back to the original story: Henry Gage, son of the Massachusetts colonial Governor, cornered the market for the best, most popular wines of the day favored by the aristocrats through purchasing 19,000 bottles. These were used to show favor to those supporting the Governor, and curry favor amongst those who might be less inclined to do so.

So the whole idea is you don't get a choice, other than the broad one that it'll be a vintage plum burgundy hue. And each bottle is unique.

This all according to the blurb at Goulet Pens about the ink.

Interesting... I like this reddish color better here than I did on Goulet's site. Maybe I should have taken a chance? (But no way am I paying shipping from the UK to Alaska to spin the wheel of chance. lol)

Edited by mivox

I'm waiting for the "in stock" signal from Goulet!

Received Friday, wonderfully packed.Enjoyed the Tootsiepop. Loaded up several pens last night.

Looks great using a Pilot 78 with a medium stub on the NYT xword this Sat am.

[/url]">http://http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/Scan_zpsw8dhx1as.jpeg.html'>http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Scan_zpsw8dhx1as.jpeg