The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodler's American Aristocracy

noodlers purple

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 20:22

Well hello, and welcome to this review of Noodler's American Aristocracy ink. This ink was recently released in the UK and the US, apparently at just two shops: PurePens in the UK and Goulet Pen Company in the US. The Goulet shop is sold out. Apparently the Brits weren't too keen on the ink as PurePens seems to have it in stock.

I was one of those brave enough to take a chance on the ink. I'm quite happy that I did as I like the ink, though honestly I couldn't tell you which of the three "flavors" it could possibly be. But then again, I couldn't tell the different between Madeira, sherry, or port either. In appearance, the inks is a muted burgundy. When I compare it directly against a brown ink, you can clearly see it's not brown. So I didn't get one of the purple bottles. But that's OK as it didn't matter to me which I received.

The ink does dry quickly due to sinking into the paper and that can be a problem on absorbent papers, such as the inkjet paper used as one test case. The paper is too absorbent and you get quite a bit of showthrough, and ghosts of bleedthrough. But on better paper there was no problem.

I tested on my usual papers Mohawk via Linen (MvL), Tomoe River (TR), and Hammermill 28 lb inkjet (Hij).

The ink is somewhat water resistant since it gets into the paper so quickly. Washing 4 ounces of water over the writing left a solid ghost that was easily legible.

The bottle/label which I did get ink on due to the bottle being so full. But that is a Noodler's benefit.

fpn_1473537310__img_4707.jpg

fpn_1473537337__img_4708.jpg

The ink can easily appear brownish, muted red-violet, or muted purple/violet depending on paper and lighting. And it has a pleasant vintage look to it. So definitely not a supersaturated ink.

fpn_1473537583__dscn1440.jpg

fpn_1473537984__dscn1445.jpg

My fiddling with the color adjustment probably made this appear too purple-y.

fpn_1473538025__dscn1436.jpg

The drops on a wet paper towel show red, green, and black dyes. Didn't expand so much and that could be due to the quick-drying ingredient.

fpn_1473538098__dscn1447.jpg

This should be a little more muted looking here, but you get the idea.

fpn_1473538186__img_4704.jpg

And here you get an idea of the showthrough and bleedthrough on the inkjet paper.

fpn_1473538240__dscn1446.jpg

And here is a close-up.

fpn_1473538880__dscn1450.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 20:31

Not bad.

#3 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 20:36

I'm waiting for the "in stock" signal from Goulet!

#4 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 21:06

Another fascinatng chroma, from an ink that's apparently now Unobtainium. Whatever the version, I like this one a LOT.

#5 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2016 - 21:10

Available from PurePens in the UK.  :)

#6 oculogyric

oculogyric

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2016 - 19:49

Thanks for the review. It does look aristocratic and quite vintage!

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2016 - 22:32

I really like what you have shown me, but I am startled that the batches are such different colors.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#8 Jackokun

Jackokun

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 16:02

I really like what you have shown me, but I am startled that the batches are such different colors.

I agree, I like this ink a lot , but is the idea that if you want to have all shades you are basically trying out your luck with each bottle and hope you get one different that the one you previously had.

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of smile.png

#9 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 19:21

I think you have to go back to the original story: Henry Gage, son of the Massachusetts colonial Governor, cornered the market for the best, most popular wines of the day favored by the aristocrats through purchasing 19,000 bottles. These were used to show favor to those supporting the Governor, and curry favor amongst those who might be less inclined to do so.

So the whole idea is you don't get a choice, other than the broad one that it'll be a vintage plum burgundy hue. And each bottle is unique.

This all according to the blurb at Goulet Pens about the ink.

#10 mivox

mivox

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 19:39

Interesting... I like this reddish color better here than I did on Goulet's site. Maybe I should have taken a chance? (But no way am I paying shipping from the UK to Alaska to spin the wheel of chance. lol)

Edited by mivox, 14 September 2016 - 19:39.

#11 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• Member - Gold

• 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2016 - 17:11

American Aristocracy now alive and well at Goulet! Back in stock. I just ordered.

#12 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• Member - Gold

• 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2016 - 19:31

I'm waiting for the "in stock" signal from Goulet!

Received Friday, wonderfully packed.Enjoyed the Tootsiepop. Loaded up several pens last night.

Looks great using a Pilot 78 with a medium stub on the NYT xword this Sat am.

[/URL]">http://Scan_zpsw8dhx1as.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, purple

Sponsored Content

|