The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan White M100 EF

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donwinn

donwinn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:49

Today I received a wonderful package from Perlson Enterprises in Oak Lawn IL (Judperl on eBay - not affiliated). It contained a new, white, Pelikan M100 with EF nib. It is a compact pen, 122mm long, 11 mm in diameter, with a cap 55 mm long. Dimensions are from the ruettinger-web-de web site. Purchase price was $25.60, including shipping.

This being my first piston-filler, I checked the web site to find out how to fill it (losing male points for reading directions prior to all else failing), after, of course, I flushed it with warm soapy water, followed by clean (relatively -- it was tap water) water. I then filled it, according to directions, with Noodler's la Cloeur Royale (royal blue, my current favorite). After filling it, I tested it on the outside of a large white envelope I received from my HOA. In a word, it was wonderful! I previously purchased a Pelikan Grand Prix, to sample the "famous Pelikan nib". It has a medium nib, and writes like butter. It is also a little on the wet side on most papers I have tried it on (the Grand Prix, that is). The M100 Pelikan, however, writes like a dream. It is wet and easy, like the Grand Prix, but does not dump too much ink onto the paper. It actually strikes the perfect balance of wet/dry, at least to my taste. Very similar ot the Phileas fine in that respect.

The other aspect, is the EF nib. It is barely finer than the F on my Phileas, but much finer and it might be a needle point. It seems to be a Goldilocks moment for me. Not too wet, not too dry, just right; not too fine, not too broad, just right. If I have any complaint at all about the pen, it is its size. I can barely use it unposted, because it is shoooooort. But posting the cap solves that problem. The light weight is not a problem, as my workhorse everyday pen is a Phileas, which is also fairly light.

For an under $30 pen, this one is hard to beat - especially if your hands are smaller (from thumb to pinky, my spread hand can comfortably span 11 keys on a baby grand piano keyboard). It has edged out (at least temporarily) my Charles-Hubert Paris in my pen carrier, a four-seater, and the matching CH gel pen will be rotated out of that carrier for a new Waterman anonymous with a Medium nib which writes like a dry fine. I have another small carrier which now holds my new Parker 45 Fountain & Ballpoint (I subbed a gel refill) set. Maybe I am a little over the top? But, as my middle son says whenever a new pen arrives, "Well Dad, at least it's cheaper than collecting guitars".

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Sponsored Content

#2 artaddict

artaddict

I love coffee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:58

Nice review!
thumbup.gif Don't worry about being over the top, your pen addiction seems under control.
Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Sponsored Content

|