Parker Special 51

jimmip63

Hello, I am new to this site, but I could use some help. I recently inherited, actually, was going to be thrown out, a Parker Specail 51 fountain pen and pencil set. I am not sure when or where he acquired this, it does have his initials on it, so I'm thinking it was as gift of some sort. The fountain pen seems to have a " bladder" of some sort. I don't thing the pen was ever used because the bladder does not seem "stiff or crunchy" of dried ink. Then pencil seems fine also, with the exception of the a dried eraser. I also have part of the box it came in. The color seems to green in color. I will attempt to attach a picture of the box and set. I was wondering what kind of ink to use, how to clean and maintain the pen. Thanks for any help.

Jim

post-131816-0-22909700-1473472542_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimmip63

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any ink suitable for a fountain pen will work. The sac is Plyglass and not subject to getting brittle like a rubber sac. It would have started life clear. You should be able to flush with water and then fill with ink and start writing.

The color is Navy Grey.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Nice pen. But who is 'he' that you inhereted the pen from? The pen looks to be used pretty good . Otherwise the sac would have been clear whitish. Repeated soak and flush is the way to clean the pen.

Enjoy your pen set.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks for the help and information. Sorry about the "he" it was my fathers pen set. Can anyone tell what to use to clean and flush the sac.

Jim

Sorry Farmboy, I missed the water part, tired here. Does it matter how hot or cold the water is? I'm new to the fountain pen world.

Jm

Thanks Khan. I guess my next question is, when filling the sac with ink, how many pumps would I have to do to completely fill it? Sorry for so many questions, I don't want to ruin the pen.

Jim

When you fill the pen immerse the front end into the ink. When you squeeze the filler hoop you will get bubbles out the front. Keep cycling squeeze/release until you don't get bubbles. Usually about 3-4 times does it. Remove the front end from the ink and squeeze out a drop and suck in some air to clear the collector. Wipe the front end and you are off to the races.

The sac is most likely permanently stained and you won't get it to be clear. It will not be a problem.

Your father chose well, the pen will likely outlast you and your children.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Hello jim,

First of all I'd like to congratulate you for becoming a member of parker 51 club.I've three mk1 parker 51 aerometric fp[uK &USA versions].I use them frequently and, therefore, I can assure you cleaning a parker 51 is quite easy.Take some normal tap water in a container and immerse the section into it but keep the clutch ring above water level.Flush the pen 6/7 times by pressing the ribbed bar firmly.Then take the pen out of water and wipe the nib area with soft cotton or you can touch the nib against newspaper which will soak all the water remaining inside the pen and the writing instrument will become dry eventually.Remember parker 51pli- glass sacs are the best and very durable.Don't think too much about the ink stained sac.

I don't know which ink brand you like.Any good quality fountain pen ink is suitable for your pen.But if you listen to me I'd suggest to use waterman's ink [florida blue/mysterious blue/harmonious green].Your pen barrel is navy grey probably.So if you want to match the ink colour and pen barrel colour you can try sheaffer blue-black.Don't forget to flush your pen periodically.And never use mixed ink .It is bad for fountain pens' health. Regards.

Samba

Most of the NOS 51s I had had clear sacs. Two 51 Standards, 51s with Lustraloy cap, gray jewel and gold nib and hoop filler, came new with black sacs. These were 1960s pens with Parker halo on the back side of the cap. One I bought NOS in the 1990s and the other was bought new from a store. The feeds had the matte look I have seen on NOS pens. After inking or dipping the feeds look different. Both these 51s with black sacs are still sitting up and taking ink. Old Griz wrote that I was mistaken about the black sacs, but I know what I saw.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Most of the NOS 51s I had had clear sacs. Two 51 Standards, 51s with Lustraloy cap, gray jewel and gold nib and hoop filler, came new with black sacs. These were 1960s pens with Parker halo on the back side of the cap. One I bought NOS in the 1990s and the other was bought new from a store. The feeds had the matte look I have seen on NOS pens. After inking or dipping the feeds look different. Both these 51s with black sacs are still sitting up and taking ink. Old Griz wrote that I was mistaken about the black sacs, but I know what I saw.

I have seen the black sacs as well. It puzzled me and I stayed away. Maybe one of the experts can enlighten us.

Jim, congrats on finding a sweet pen that you can pass down to your kids.

Possibly the black sacs were used on later pens. I used parker51.com to identify these two 51 Standards as being later 1960s. The one I bought in 1970 is still filling, so it's probably not latex.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The black sacs people see are most likely stained Plyglass. I know of no instance when the factory used rubber/latex sacs in 51s. I have gotten many 51s with replaced sacs that were latex but I can assure you the pens were not original.

If you feel a Plyglas sac you will notice there are ribs on the inside of the sac, presumably to break up the surface tension of the ink.

The black sacs people see are most likely stained Plyglass. I know of no instance when the factory used rubber/latex sacs in 51s. I have gotten many 51s with replaced sacs that were latex but I can assure you the pens were not original.

If you feel a Plyglas sac you will notice there are ribs on the inside of the sac, presumably to break up the surface tension of the ink.

You are saying then that somebody inked and wrote with my brand new 51 Standard before I bought it from the USAF Exchange? The USAF Exchange wasn't a seller of used pens.

Edited by pajaro

Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it all. The pen and pencil set were destined for the trash until my one sister rescued it. I am grateful for that. Now I just have to get some ink and start using it. Again, thanks for all the help.

Jim

You are saying then that somebody inked and wrote with my brand new 51 Standard before I bought it from the USAF Exchange? The USAF Exchange wasn't a seller of used pens.

The Syndicate has met and reviewed the available data and concurs with my statement that all 51s used a clear Plyglass sac.

It was also noted in that discussion that pens from the early 50s as identified by the mushy sac nipple syndrome have sacs that are easily stained and turn black almost immediately AND they can not be cleaned to remove staining as can be done on early and later sacs. (This implies some analytical chemistry be done in the future.)

This does not address the apparent black sac that was purchased in a new pen. Worthwhile data points would be the date of manufacture of the pen, the connector material, and if the sac has the usual ribbing on the internal surfaces as found in other Plyglass sacs.

Todd

The Syndicate has met and reviewed the available data and concurs with my statement that all 51s used a clear Plyglass sac.

It was also noted in that discussion that pens from the early 50s as identified by the mushy sac nipple syndrome have sacs that are easily stained and turn black almost immediately AND they can not be cleaned to remove staining as can be done on early and later sacs. (This implies some analytical chemistry be done in the future.)

This does not address the apparent black sac that was purchased in a new pen. Worthwhile data points would be the date of manufacture of the pen, the connector material, and if the sac has the usual ribbing on the internal surfaces as found in other Plyglass sacs.

Todd

fpn_1474057981__p51sac1.jpg

A picture of the sac. I have two of these pens, both late 1960s pens (Parker halo on rear of cap) that were new with a black sac. The pens are identical, except that I put a Minuskin stub in one. The other has a fine point. Both are midnight blue, Lustraloy caps, gold nibs were original, gray cap jewels. One I bought new, the other was NOS when I got it. The black sac material is some kind of vinyl. It is firmer than ribbed clear pliglas sacs. The pliglass sacs seem wimpy to me by comparison. The black sacs are shiny. They are not latex. If you want I'll send you one so you can examine it.

The remains of my collection after selling most. The two black sac pens are in the top left, bottom of the horizontal group:

fpn_1474058830__p51s53.jpg

Hi Jimmip- I have that same Parker 51 Special. It is one of my favorite pens. I have it "Parked" on my desk at the moment along with a Parker Slimfold and a Parker Vector Flighter. These are three of the best writers I own. The Jotter next to them is a visitor pen. The sac on both my 51 and Slimfold are dark blue. I figured they got that way from use.

The Cross (a legacy Century) and the Lamy 2000 are also really fun writers as well but not quite in the same league as the 51.

post-126538-0-66307500-1474400928_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadbar