Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

visvamitra

Bo Bo--

What's your source for the Gmund papers? All I see in the US are specialty papers and cover stock. Is there a particular name for the 170 gsm paper? They make a huge number of products.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• lapis

• visvamitra

• tamiya

I live in Germany.

I had written them on the net, asking for a list of fountain pen friendly papers only list....which they sent me.

I had made the mistake of just asking for papers from Shoellershammer and got Art paper, which is not fountain pen friendly.

So I got two sample sheets for free....this is a long time ago.....wow...2011....I didn't realize I dithered for most of a decade....but at E36 plus E4 for postage.....that was a 'fortune'.

Still is in I 'need' the tad better 120g 'Blanc Beige' paper in Beige. I have the 170g 'Blanc Beige' in creme. E 36 pluis postage for 100 sheets. The Original Gmund cost the same for 50 sheets.

Two sample sheets were free, the others cost E0.84 a sheet.

See if they take Paypal, in a bank wire outside the EU costs $35.00. We don't do checks....in bank wire is just as cheap, and much, much faster.

Of the list sent to me I only picked the 100g and better, 110, 120, 150 and 170g. There were more but I left the 90g off.

How it was tested, I ran some inks over each, and later over the better papers only, until I had just a couple papers left. The 150 g was a good paper too. I had expected heavy paper to win, so was surprised when the 120g came out the winner by a short nose.

The better the paper the more inks tried....thanks to coming to ink reviews or inky thoughts.....it seemed I always could find another ink from my stash someone talked about :P ........so they then got added to the paper test, willi nilly. Until the last two or three papers were just covered with different inks.

I'm sure I took the Big Honking magnifying glass to it to look for feathering or woolly line.

I didn't number the pages with a # to see which won.

I'll do it again.

It all depends on the width and flex of the nib....and the ink of course. I find I seldom put a superflex and a regular flex nib down....only DA copper brown. Some times Aventurine don't have a woolly line or light feathering. :yikes:

Some of the Gmund Original, was not as good as a few others.

Gmund color system. (color 18?? looks yellowish)100g....some echo. Little BEF...fathering/woolly line when stitting. Some feathering with DA copper brown with a Degussa Easy Full Flex...superflex. Same ink with a regular flex OK. Shades ok....line is cleaner than it looks... No Feathering/woolly line with Pelikan Aventurine in a semi-flex F. :o There are other papers where Aventurine feathers.

I like the color but hate the feathering and woolly lines.

Original Gmund Tactile Beige 100 g...No BEF, small mag feather/woolly line, show through, DA copper brown the same as the above paper. Aventurine, woolly line.

Original Gmund Tactile creme m.WZ.... No BEF, small mag feather wide nib, show through, creme better than beige.

Original Gmund Tactile creme 120g good paper, no BEF, No Feathering. . Good shading... DA Copper brown, good (slight woolly line=superflex nib)with superflex and regular flex F. Slight woolly line Averturine.

Original Gmund Tactile Filgran Buetten Beige (verge paper)Tad rough, Yes BEF in a wide nib, Show through, DA copper brown, some wooly line in both superflex and regular flex F nib. Aventurine woolly line. This paper did Lie De The in a Pelikan 120....very well indeed. But my notes says seems to swallow shading, ..feels nice, good to write on.

Gmund Cotton linen cream 110 g. Cotton feels OK to good. No BEF, Small Mag feather, Echo, good feeling ....But.....(to bad I can't remember back that far, but more than likely it's cotton. Normally 25% cotton is OK, and 50-100% more feathery. No % of cotton listed.

DA copper brown....good enough....Aventurine some light woolly line...Lie de Thee has real good shading, there fore suspect 25%.

Original Gmund Digital Matt Tactile Creme 150g.Good paper, nib + ink matters, No BEF, no feather under magnification , echo. Light feather/woolly line under glass. Good with DA copper Brown and no woolly line for Aventurine.

120g 'Blanc Beige' paper in Beige. (best paper, by a tad)....Tad smooth,no-BEF, some mag feather, Echo.

Looking again at my notes....the main difference is on the 120g Aventurine has a good clean line. :yikes:....Akkermann H.Green was better on the 120...on the 170 there was more a woolly line/ slight feathering with both Aventurine and Akkermann.

I have the 170g 'Blanc Beige' in creme (second best but I liked the feel of the heavy paper.) I dithered for a couple of years....four!!!! :wacko:

There is no perfect paper....there is a perfect nib& ink for a paper, though.

PS, I got rid of that Edelstein sapphire ink to a neighborhood school kid's mother today. :thumbup:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I wanted to like this ink, I really did. It isn't a bad ink... but I can't say anything very good about it except the bottle is solid and quite classy. Nothing premium except the bottle about this Edelstein Sapphire.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• 11 months later...

I believe I have to differ with most of the other opinions given in this thread. For one, I admit I am a great fan of Pelikan inks because they are not so wet and I write rather slowly. I like to take my time writing with my FPs and dislike inks that don’t behave in accordance with my wishes. So I like Pelikan in general, and this Edelstein Sapphire has a nice flow.

I’ve noticed that as for its final appearance on paper, much depends on exactly which pen I use, and I can’t yet put my finger on what the determining factor is. I tried it on Leuchtturm 1917 paper (my standard notebook over the past 10+ years) with a Waterman Hémisphère F. Quite OK, but not so special.

Lamy Studio F: yeah, quite OK, writes very pleasantly, but still a not-so-special blue.

Waterman Expert F: hm, nice! The purplishness that seems to evaporate within seconds seems to remain a bit, hardly noticeable, but lends a certain brightness and intensity to this blue which most blues just don’t have.

Then I put it in my Montblanc Classique F, and… WOW… OMG… Stunning. I don’t want to use any other ink in this pen any more. (And that’s saying a lot, because I generally prefer just about any other colour than blue when writing for my own pleasure.) I really don't know what causes the difference, but it must have something to do with how the pen spreads out the ink on the paper. The pages I wrote with this combination of pen and ink shine out from the book like nothing else.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

• 4 weeks later...

"""Then I put it in my Montblanc Classique F, and… WOW… OMG… Stunning. """"

I once did a test of ESSR blue black ink, used 17 pens of this and that width and flex on some 49 papers. one needs to not only test the width of the nib; EF to BB, but if nail, regular flex, semi-flex or superflex.......just to luck out into a perfect match. ................which you did......and I didn't. :(

Well in superflex the capital L....did the little trapezoid in the middle of the L where the lines cross :thumbup: , real nice with an English Handlebar mustache L. There was a outside line to the L when the two toned letter widened.

Most of the time one don't have that much time nor that many clean pens.

A BB changes color normally with in 24 hours....On Eaton's Corrasable*** 25% rag typewriter paper....back before white-out one could erase type with a pencil eraser. It shaded so very much....and typewriting paper is only coated on one side, so it bled through like hell...but on the front was great.

Some papers took 2-3-5 days for the color to do the full change. I called it a sneaky ink, Sandy1 called it a mischievous ink. That was one of the longest threads on our com...over 90 posts.

***I still have half a pack of some I bought in the '70's.....It like some bond paper from then were always just a bit too good for a Juki Daisy wheel printer. ...Fancy paper back then the thought was should be used for more than everyday.

How was I to know I was living in the Golden Age of Paper and it would end in the '80's. :crybaby:

I should start using it for the sheer hell of it.

Same goes with the 8 pages left from the remains of a cheap 12 page paper pad. Bought when I was a ball point barbarian, who would never have dreamed of spending beer money on paper.

Unfortunately, no water mark.......................perfect paper............

Got to use that up too.

Sandy1 used some 7-8 papers in her grand ink reviews over the last decade and more. One should go there and note down what papers she found good.............and get them. Been saying that for years.....ain't done it yet. :headsmack:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 years later...

They might have reformulated  this ink or I got an off bottle or could be my 200's B nib is wet............which it should be actually...

Never asked if the folks writing these reviews with Sapphire were using a Pelikan wet nib? ...Or some other companies dry nib...for the chalky...and pale shade.

I had to have used a regular flex F in a Celebry pen, in that was the only Pelikan cartridge pen I then had.....and it didn't shade for me, or I'd kept it even if pale.

DA Golf is a palish greenish ink, but it shades...got to go back and use that ink with m&B. As long as the ink shades I'm happy.

I have to admit I'd forgotten I ever had this in cartridge.

My 2022 bottle of this ink is darker. Much more agreeable than expected from all the bad things said about this ink in the last decade.(Having forgotten this ink and my very own comments.)

But

On a very good old 'no-name' 'late '70-early '80's paper better than, and Clairefontaine Triumph; no shading.  Just a fairly dark blue ink.

First I looked in my ink boxes and found no Sapphire cartridges, then I re-read what I had said....yep, had given the cartridges away.