Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

visvamitra

Pelikan Edelstein is the proof of Pelikan employees marketing efficiency. Beautifully packaged inks bear promise of amazing writing experience. The line is popular all around the world and concurs with the likes of Pilot Iroshizuku or Graf von Faber-Castell.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/2076/YtmFPx.jpg

The packaging is really impressive.

The outer cardboard box is, more or less, standard. It's not overisized and made from cardboard.The front panel has a slightly slanted extra facet with a colored panel that corresponds to the ink color inside. Care was also taken to keep ink secure in the box - the pair of styrofoam pads rest between the neck of the bottle and the box.

The bottle itself is really, really nice. The glass is thick, heavy and rectangular but with slightly concave sides. The lettering fits the design. I believe Caran d'Ache Chromatics inks bottles are more interesting, Iroshizuku probably nicer but Edelstein offers great and solid cap.

The inks can be bought in 12 colors, seven standard.

1. Aventurine
  2. Jade
  3. Mandarin
  4. Onyx
  5. ​Sapphire
  6. Ruby
  7. Topaz

And 5 LE inks of the year

1. Turmaline Ink of the Year 2012
  2. Amber Ink of the Year 2013
  3. Garnet Ink of the Year 2014
  4. Amethyst Ink of the Year 2015
  5. Aquamarine Ink of the Year 2016

Sapphire form standard Edelstein line is, in my opinion, the least interesting og the group. It behaves well and has reasonable drying times. However I can't help but notice it's incredibly boring and generic. When I look at this ink I just can't see anything interesting. Sometimes and for some people it can be an asset. For me though it's unforgiveable sin ;)

Frankly if you like such colors Diamine Sapphire Blue or J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire will be much cheaper and more interesting choices.

fpn_1473450566__sapphire_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1473450826__sapphire_kt.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1473450594__sapphire_l_3.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1473450609__sapphire_t_1.jpg

fpn_1473450616__sapphire_t_2.jpg

fpn_1473450625__sapphire_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1473450578__sapphire_l_1.jpg

fpn_1473450586__sapphire_l_2.jpg

fpn_1473450602__sapphire_l_4.jpg

Kokuyo Campus, Diplomat Depeche, B

fpn_1473450635__sapphire_kokuyo_1.jpg

fpn_1473450643__sapphire_kokuyo_2.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• lapis

• visvamitra

• tamiya

You said it. It is in any case an "an okay ink" but nothing more. There are many other sapphires out there but this one just doesn't have any real character. Also IMO -- as you said -- this is the most boring of all Edelstein inks today.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Strange - I remember my bottle being wayyy brighter (darker?) than this - mine was such a glaring blurple I could not stand looking at it. This looks like a really weak royal blue.

Anyhow - Sapphire wasn't my favourite either, I like pure blues, not blurples.

Great review as always!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

You are absolutely correct, I bought it for the aesthetics of the bottle. However, as far as Blues go, I really like it. But, nothing beats Diamine Cornflour Blue as far a blue inks go and I love the cute little bottle it comes in....obviously this is just my opinion as I am not looking for a fight :)

Sorry, but I like this and all the other sapphire blues.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sorry, but I like this and all the other sapphire blues.

Now that is one neat reply. Honestly!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

heh... yeah this pale shade of blue, reminds me of all those man-meddled semiprecious stones on sale at jewellers pricetagged at "tourist/insurance cost" far more than what they're market-worth ;)

Afraid in part that's also what Pelikan's fancy marketing has done... high price point, fancy bottle... sets themselves out for failure on expectations. "Aquamarine" is pretty washed out, "Ruby" ain't as hot (with heat further stolen by "Turmaline"). "Jade" looks more like plastic marble compared to old Chinese jadeite.

I did get suckered into buying "Amethyst" expecting a nice bluple and it's not too bad... unfortunately It reached my desk same time as Lamy Dark Lilac WHICH IS MINDBLOWING :)

The Edelstein Sapphire I received for last year's Pelikan Hub has performed rather differently for me.

In the seven pen-nib combos I've tested it in so far (including a Prera "F" and a pre-'97 M250), it's darker, quite a bit more saturated, and the shading is much more conservative than what I'm seeing in these photos.

I sure hope the formulation hasn't changed!

• 1 month later...

The Edelstein Sapphire I received for last year's Pelikan Hub has performed rather differently for me.

In the seven pen-nib combos I've tested it in so far (including a Prera "F" and a pre-'97 M250), it's darker, quite a bit more saturated, and the shading is much more conservative than what I'm seeing in these photos.

I sure hope the formulation hasn't changed!

This is my experience too -- darker/brighter but considerably less shading.

the color looks nice to me in splash ... but the writing sample is too pale... and doesn't show the same characteristics...

I wish if it can be improved...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 4 months later...

Back at the beginning of the "Edelstein Era" I bought a bottle of Sapphire, hoping it would look like Asa-Gao or Diamine Sapphire Blue -- my favorite inks. I thought Edelstein Sapphire was a bit dull.

However, a customer at our dearly missed Art Brown's Pen Shop (1921 - 2013) suggested a 50:50 mix of Edelstein Topaz and Sapphire. A nice color, nice shading, smooth flow.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Too bad....this is the first time I was shown it shaded....then they did away with most of it.

I'd thought about getting some...in it seemed to shade.

That was not mentioned in any of the reviews I had read on it when it first came out. Back then everyone was hoping for a Parker's Penmann sapphire clone and bitter it wasn't.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Back at the beginning of the "Edelstein Era" I bought a bottle of Sapphire, hoping it would look like Asa-Gao or Diamine Sapphire Blue -- my favorite inks. I thought Edelstein Sapphire was a bit dull.

However, a customer at our dearly missed Art Brown's Pen Shop (1921 - 2013) suggested a 50:50 mix of Edelstein Topaz and Sapphire. A nice color, nice shading, smooth flow.

As mentioned elsewhere, I, too, have both, and specifically for the blend.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 1 year later...

Took me a few years, but while at my B&M, buying other inks there were some cartridges of it. From the disappointment shown across the board, wasn't going to buy a bottle.

But a few cartridges won't hurt.....and I'm not into blue right now.....but who knows....it could be I'll like it....but am not expecting much.

Hoping for the once shown shading....so it will have to be 'best' paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Now to find some school kid, in need of the the other five cartridges.

I'm not going into my normal detail.

A dull and faded ink...even on my best papers.

I was using a Springy regular flex Celebry semi-vintage F......a M or a B might give the ink some body.....but I doubt it.

Blues were not tested much on my two best papers when I was trying to decide best between a 120g and a 170g Gmund paper. Not that I didn't have any, just it was not blue season, in other colored inks came in in the two or more years I 'tested' those two papers.....At E36 for only 100 sheets....I had a lot of dithering to do.

But on another relatively good marbled 90g paper I had a few blues.

Both Pelikan 4001 and Lamy blue were darker. Edelsteine Sapphire seemed much like Parker blue in tone; also a faded blue.

On my two Southworth 90g/24 lb granite and parchment Ivory papers nothing than a faded watery blue.

The papers are nothing special...in it's Ink Jet and Laser. So comprises had to be made.

A bit of shading M&K 95 g typing paper....also a Ink Jet and Laser paper, but better than the Southworth. Still a wishy washy ink.

My 170g Gmund...a very, very good paper...still dull, some shading.

On the 'glossy' 120 Avery Zeweckform, ..finally darker, not too bad shading...the only paper it looked OK on......lacking still the 'sparkle' of a yes ink.

There must be enough people that like that sort of ink....in it's still being made.

It wasn't just folks were hoping for Penmann Sapphire; but worse, they were looking for a better blue than the 4001.....and didn't get it.

4001 and Lamy Blue are better. :lticaptd:

Parker blue....no better or worse.

I wasted cleaning a cartridge pen for this 'ink'....and everyone knows how fast and easy bulb cleaning a cartridge pen is.

My own fault though....I had to know my self. :headsmack:.....

How bad is the ink? I just put the new almost full cartridge in the trash can, and the pen back in the to clean cup.

Now to find some unsuspecting school kid. :P

Edited by Bo Bo Olson