The Seven Angels – Quink And Bleach

NickiStew

seven021.jpg

So much from so little!

Quink black freeform blend onto 300gsm Saunders watercolour paper with bleach and ink illustration and lettering. Using lyrics by Depeche Mode this is a wonderfully self indulgent journey into the dark side. Seven pieces in total for the seven angels in the book of Revelation. I know that I posted 3 of these some time ago, but sometimes a reminder of the versatility of Quink is no bad thing – so here is the full line up. The breakdown with water into blacks, greys, blues and ochres is just fabulous. Add the bleach – with the golds and neons – and it really is special. Having got to know hundreds more inks on my journey of discovery – it’s still one my real favourites!

Click here to view the magnificent seven: https://quinkandbleach.wordpress.com/2016/09/08/the-seven-angels-quink-and-bleach/

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• inkstainedruth

• white_lotus

• sciumbasci

Your talent continues to impress and inspire. And cause vast amounts of jealousy....

I would not have thought of using a basic ink like Quink Black (which was my first non-cartridge ink) to do amazing artwork.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Your talent continues to impress and inspire. And cause vast amounts of jealousy....

I would not have thought of using a basic ink like Quink Black (which was my first non-cartridge ink) to do amazing artwork.

Thanks Ruth. I keep banging on about this - billions of people use, or have used, a fountain pen at sometime in their life. BUT fountain pen ink has just so much more to offer than just being a writing fluid. It really is a hidden gift - if only more people were aware of what's possible! Just imagine if all school children were made aware of this? Serendipity, experimentation and exploration would be the norm and not just an occasional turn up for books. I truly believe that more creative uses for fountain pen ink could and should be encouraged at every opportunity as the benefits are far FAR more than just visual. N

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Thanks Ruth. I keep banging on about this - billions of people use, or have used, a fountain pen at sometime in their life. BUT fountain pen ink has just so much more to offer than just being a writing fluid. It really is a hidden gift - if only more people were aware of what's possible! Just imagine if all school children were made aware of this? Serendipity, experimentation and exploration would be the norm and not just an occasional turn up for books. I truly believe that more creative uses for fountain pen ink could and should be encouraged at every opportunity as the benefits are far FAR more than just visual. N

I'd probably be better at science if we'd played around with ink properties in my high school chemistry class. I got through the class okay, but because of a scheduling boo-boo that year. I wasn't scheduled for a math class (ANY math class -- which was required); it was even worse because I was *supposed* to have been the special, advanced program where we took math classes a year earlier than normal: algebra in 8th grade, instead of freshman year in high school, etc. I had to rearrange my entire class schedule. which ended me up in a chemistry class that only had 2 other girls, a teacher who was a jerk, and me with a lab partner who was an even bigger jerk. Plus, it was at the end of the day -- right after nearly all the guys had had gym class. :sick: But if we had played around with chromatography and pH and dry times, as well as stuff like the actual chemistry of the inks -- that would have made class a lot more interesting to me and may possibly have prevented me from transcribing the lyrics to "Gilbert Street" (at least as best as I knew them: "liner notes! Ya couldn't have sprung for liner notes?") on yet another desk in my high school.... :blush:

ETA: Ironically, the math class was horrible (it was a lot of stuff like logic) and I barely passed; the teacher didn't want me in the class because I think the course was over her head to start with, and it was, for the most part, over mine.... I actually had better grades the next near, when I was taking calculus... both grade-wise and with comprehension (at least I did the first half of the year, and that pulled up my grade enough for the second half of the year -- which was good because integrals made no intuitive sense to me; because of my grade from the first half of the year, plus being one of the top 8 in my calculus class, *plus* I was in the National Honor Society combine together to keep me from having to take the final exam....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'd probably be better at science if we'd played around with ink properties in my high school chemistry class. I got through the class okay, but because of a scheduling boo-boo that year. I wasn't scheduled for a math class (ANY math class -- which was required); it was even worse because I was *supposed* to have been the special, advanced program where we took math classes a year earlier than normal: algebra in 8th grade, instead of freshman year in high school, etc. I had to rearrange my entire class schedule. which ended me up in a chemistry class that only had 2 other girls, a teacher who was a jerk, and me with a lab partner who was an even bigger jerk. Plus, it was at the end of the day -- right after nearly all the guys had had gym class. :sick: But if we had played around with chromatography and pH and dry times, as well as stuff like the actual chemistry of the inks -- that would have made class a lot more interesting to me and may possibly have prevented me from transcribing the lyrics to "Gilbert Street" (at least as best as I knew them: "liner notes! Ya couldn't have sprung for liner notes?") on yet another desk in my high school.... :blush:

ETA: Ironically, the math class was horrible (it was a lot of stuff like logic) and I barely passed; the teacher didn't want me in the class because I think the course was over her head to start with, and it was, for the most part, over mine.... I actually had better grades the next near, when I was taking calculus... both grade-wise and with comprehension (at least I did the first half of the year, and that pulled up my grade enough for the second half of the year -- which was good because integrals made no intuitive sense to me; because of my grade from the first half of the year, plus being one of the top 8 in my calculus class, *plus* I was in the National Honor Society combine together to keep me from having to take the final exam....

Personally I can't see anything wrong in transcribing the lyrics of Gilbert Street on desk tops but had you covered the desk top with a colourful blend of fountain pen ink colours first and then transcribed the lyrics using bleach.... the quandary your head of school would have had would be: do I expel her for blatant vandalism of school property OR do I encourage her creativity? Whatever their decision you would have become a legend as an album cover designer there and then!