Ancora Pen Co. Info

Babangita

Recently I acquired my second modern Ancora fountain pen.

I have (stored somewhere) few of the classic vintage models, but being afraid to damage them I only used them just a few times since restoration.

The latest acquisition motivated me to try to find information on the current situation of the company but internet resources gave quite scarce results. Same with vintage pens sites and Italian forums.

It seems certain that the original company (or just the name as it not clear if the late company had anything left but the name) was acquired by an Italian entrepreneur (in 1975?) from the family of the original owners.

They produced some beautiful pens since, many documented here through nice reviews by kind members or discussed in the forums, mostly in small numbers or limited series of (usually) 88.

However, a modern production history or modern models timeline even with basic info just seems nowhere to be found...

Some models are still being sold by some known luxury sellers and by few internet sellers.

The current internet site (in English and Russian only) features some very nice pens (similar to/or same as some of the here known models) while pointing to Russian shops only, mainly in Moscow.

Does this mean that the company has been acquired or moved to the Russian Federation? Where are the pens being currently produced and by whom? Are the famous nibs still produced in-house? What about the ink? So many unknowns for such a nice (and quite well internationally known) brand...

The modern Ancora pens, besides being beautiful, are great writers with incredible nibs and I hope that you fellow pen aficionados will agree with me that it is a pity that there's not enough info on the Brand.

It would be highly appreciated if anybody could shed some light and share certain and confirmed info on the state of the Brand.

Thanks a lot in advance.

O

P.S. I wrote them in the meantime, there's an email address on the Russian version of the site. If anything comes up in the meantime will gladly post.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabri00

• Babangita

• Azuniga

• ingolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My contributions to your search about Ancora might be very small.

The company was founded in 1912 in Sesto Calende (nearby the Lago Maggiore). Even the original company had a reputation of producing high-class and high-price fountain pens (similiar to Montblanc).

Currently I own just one of those beautiful lever-filler models. The production date might be 1940 (more or less).

Regards, Ingolf.

post-121236-0-38184800-1473407736_thumb.jpg

post-121236-0-72526900-1473407744_thumb.jpg

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Azuniga and Ingolf, thank you very much, and Ingolf compliments on the beautiful pen!

I was puzzled by the fact that the on the internet site they state that the production is still in Italy while the site is only in English and Russian.

Still, it may simply be due to the fact that they are selling more outside Italy and mainly in Russian market.

Nothing to do with the fact that they still make really nice pens of the highest quality with some amazing nibs.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

• 1 month later...

My contributions to your search about Ancora might be very small.

The company was founded in 1912 in Sesto Calende (nearby the Lago Maggiore).

From which source you get that date and that place?

In a Lambrou book is reported 1909 with no reference to any source, and I don't think that's a reliable date. The modern company says 1919, an invoice I got talk about 1902 (but refers at the starting of Giuseppe Zanini activities, that was a reseller for many years before starting making fountain pens).

The only known for sure date is a february 1918 registration in the Bologna chamber of commerce for an "Arti Grafiche Giuseppe Zanini" society. And in Bologna are all following reference to Zanini activities as a fountain pen manufacturer, the transfer to Sesto Calende is dated to 1925.

Because Ancora origin are still quite uncertain, I will be very happy to know about any new evidences.

Regards

Simone

Edited by simp

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)