The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Festive Micarta Giant

micarta striated oldwin style #8 jowo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph B

Joseph B

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2016 - 13:05

I decided to use multilayered color cloth/resin to try to get a striated celluloid effect. The cloth is cotton canvas of six colors. The effect is most prominent when there is a lot of curvature in the elements. The nib set is Jowo #8 18K cartridge/converter filled. I have not decided on a clip or roll stop but whichever, I will try not to interrupt the patterns. Now that I know more about how it works, I intend to try some more subtle classic colors.

Thanks,

Joe B.

fpn_1473338753__020_-_copy.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 APPLEMAN

APPLEMAN

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:52

Did you make the micarta yourself?
Appleman Pens
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens
My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

#3 Joseph B

Joseph B

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2016 - 14:02

Did you make the micarta yourself?

Yes, I did. There're are 60 layers of fabric in 7/8" thickness. Originally I had trouble getting enough thickness within the working time of the resin. Then I learned that by halving the hardener and starting with refrigerator cold resin, I had time enough. I plan to reduce the fabric thickness (and further increase the number of sheets) to get a smoother looking surface. It is quite smooth now, much smoother than the photos appear, but lighter fabric does smooth the texture. I will double or triple the sheets in each color layer to still attain the striated effect.

Here's another micarta pen that I also did recently.

fpn_1473429527__r1001715_-_copy.jpg

Thanks for your interest,

Joe

Thanks, Joe

#4 APPLEMAN

APPLEMAN

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 15:18

Not sure what happined to the messages as they seem to be gone.

My email is 698686@gmail.com

Appleman Pens
Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens
My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

#5 Nanor

Nanor

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 19:01

Very impressive work. I imagine there was some soul destroying trial and error involved before you mastered the process. The results look worth it.

#6 Joseph B

Joseph B

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2016 - 21:23

Very impressive work. I imagine there was some soul destroying trial and error involved before you mastered the process. The results look worth it.

Nanor,

Thanks! Yes, it was and continues to be a learning experience. Once, I tried high quality cotton paper to try to get an ivory look. It worked very nicely for a flat product but wouldn't stand up to the radial stresses of turning. And, before I learned ways to extend the working time, it was like a three ring circus trying to get a thick blanks within the ten minutes working time.

Joe B.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: micarta, striated, oldwin style, #8 jowo

Sponsored Content

|