Edson -Diamond Black Vs Silver Le

steve33

Hi Guys,looking for some opinions for an upcoming purchase.

Adding an Edson fountain pen and can't decide between the diamond black and the LE silver one. I've written with Edsons before (Saphire Blue) and I'm familiar with the nib stiffness etc.

Really just looking for any strong feelings or points i may not have considered btween these 2 models. I've seen both only in photos online, and as both are discontinued I'm not likely to handle either in person pre-purchase.

My blue Edson developed a crack in the barrel, and thought maybe the LE silver version might eliminate that concern and prove more durable in the long run?

Still the black/silver combo of the diamond black looks amazing!

I presume either would have similar writing characteristics as they share the same nib, right?

So have it. Cost aside, talk me into one or the other.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steve33

• Left FPN

• RMN

• manhha

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both. The silver one is more heavy.

As a writer... hey, they're Edsons.

Difference: looks. IMHO the silver looks better with that blueish sheen to the section, and the engraving.

That crack? Might have dropped sometime ( even without you knowing it?)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The crack may be due to poor materials so it could be worth talking to Waterman CS. The only problem I see is that if they would replace it under warranty, and it's the early version without the jewel, you might end up with a jewel version.

Thanks for the responses, but I guess I should clarify. I'm usually pretty careful with my pens, but admittedly I dropped the Edson and that's how it got the crack. Operator error, not a design flaw.

Do you think that the metal barrel of the LE would be more durable in the long haul? Double the price but there might be that added benefit, or just rationalization?

I like the look of the black, and it's more readily available and at a considerable savings, but have read many lackluster reviews.

First world problems.

On a side note, I had recently purchased a metal carene, hoping it would be similar to the Edson and a much less expensive, but was disappointed. The feel of the nib didn't compare to the Edson..

Absolutely loved everything about my blue Edson, but in the end I couldn't live with the crack and essentially gave it away. Try again with the black this time, or go silver?

I'll be considerably more careful this time around, but it's proving to be a tough decision and "both" is not an option.

just a matter of personal taste, I prefer the Sterling Silver to the Diamond Black one. I have the latter, IMHO when on hand it looks less gorgeous than the Blue one. This picture can say thousand words

9d27pewg_ujk35q4lfmn_2016050619.57.56.jp

Silver it is then.

It's more than I'd wanted to spend, but it was probably bound to happen sooner or later.

As far as the nibs go, I found that on my previous Edson the medium nib was more of a fine. Certainly it seemed a noticeably thinner line than the medium on my MB 146.

Is this the consensus?

I can get either a fine or medium in the silver LE, and generally prefer a line finer line than the one produced by my MB medium, at least for daily entries. I'm thinking of sticking with a medium nib Edson, unless anyone feels strongly that I should consider a fine?

To my eyes the blue one is the most beautiful among all edsons.Dropping could make a silver edson dented and so I dont think its anyway more safe than the blue one. Maybe only Visconti Homosapiens is the only pen that experiences minimum damage from a fall but I have not owned one.But I repeat, IMHO the beauty of the blue edson is simply unparallel.