Purchase Pelikan Body And Nib Seperatly?

markofp

When Richard Binder was still in retail, he offered a way to purchase a Pelikan pen body without a nib, and then the nib separately. For instance: an M200 with an M400 nib. Now that he is no longer selling, I wonder if anyone else offers this option?

Any leads gratefully appreciated!

Edited by markofp

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad Pen

• JulioPB

• Christopher Godfrey

• PabloAU

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you can buy the pen alone but I believe an M200 with a gold nib is called a M250. To my knowledge the 250 has the same nib as the 400 series.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Also you can buy a M200/M205 with 14C gold nib from The Writing Desk(UK).

1)

You will find a Pelikan Classic Series M250 on their Pelikan page.

It's a black M200 with Gold nib.

2)

And, they offer gold nib replacement option for M200/M205 except DUO.

Current upgrade fee is 64 GBP.

Also, you cannot buy a pen body from them but they are selling replacement nibs.

Pelikanpens(UK) are selling nibs too.

Eighty-eight GBP for M405 nib.

No affiliation, a few experience buying from them.

To add to the above post:

The only place I've seen the option to buy just a body is on eBay, have a look at Missing-pen.de

As far as I know, most authorised dealers are happy to provide and upgraded nib option when purchasing a complete pen.

I've dealt with The Writing Desk on a fair number of occasions and always been very pleased. Also, Niche Pens (Pelikanpens dot co dot uk) provide a very good service of this kind as well as selling replacement nibs.

I know these two options require import but the current situation with Brexit has made it far more attractive to buy from the UK.

Good luck !

Edited by blueboy

Peter M

@blueboy2419

pelikanpens.co.uk offers an upgrade option to buy a M200 with M400 nib.

nibs.com offers this also but I don't think they carry the full range of M200 pens. The seem to mostly focus on the special editions.

indy-pen-dance.com sell body only, body with gold nib, or body with modified flex gold nib.

If you want to go bigger, someone here was offering an 800 (or was it a 1000?) in our own classifieds section, nib-less, quite recently. There was a separate advertisement for a nib. I think they were offered either by Limitlesspens or by BillP.

If you are going through that trouble...then I think you should get the 200 as is....in the nib is well worth while....much better than the modern 'post 98 blobby fat, semi-nail of a 400/600.

Then you can buy a nib with a different width and they only cost some $25-30 depending on how the dollar is sitting.......a real good nib. :thumbup: No BS.

A Good Steel nib can be as good as a Good Gold nib. And in this case is.

The 200's nib is @ 1/2 a width narrower....the same size as vintage, and the same size and flex as the '82-97 400. Both of them are springy 'true' regular flex nibs.

I assume you want a special color of the 200, otherwise for @ the same money on German Ebay....check if they take Paypal and ship out of Germany you can get a semi-vintage M400.

I assume...that Penboard de....which is not cheap can sell you a nib well worth having a gold semi-flex or maxi-semi-flex 400's nib from 1950-65. With that company you should be able to chose if you want a semi-flex, which I recommend to a 'noobie' in it is sturdier than a maxi-semi-flex from '50-65. Noobies are on the whole heavy handed....I was even though I'd learned to use a pen back in the '50's :rolleyes: ....ball points require a heavy hand to use.

It took me some three months of using a semi-flex 140 before my hand lightened up enough for a maxi-semi-flex that I had on my 400nn. In the 'wild' it is always a gamble in the sellers have no idea. Penboard would....or some folks on the Sales Section here.

But I think you should get a 'true' regular flex first. Work your way up the flex ladder, you don't bend nibs that way. :angry:

Most ink and paper combinations shade well with springy 'true' regular flex; in semi-flex is a wetter nib...you'd have to match the ink and paper there for shading a bit more.

You do have shading ink...right? and 90G or 22 pound paper....right? ;) You need 90g laser paper out side of Rhoda and one or two seldom papers that are 80g.

80g copy paper is a no go. :( Inks just don't shade on it.

Ink Jet paper is a major no-no too; it feathers.

I keep calling it 'true' regular flex in that was once a normal flex that most companies....not Parker or Lamy use to make for normal use. Too many Ham Fisted Ball Point Barbarians kept bending the nibs so companies went over to fat blobby semi-nail nibs. They are fat and blobby because the Barbarians insist in holding a fountain pen like a ball point.

So now the regular issue of the nib is semi-nail and not springy regular flex. Some folks coming from nail or semi-nail that first run into a springy 'true' regular flex think it semi-flex.....It is not....but its so much better riding than a semi-nail. :happyberet:

The 200 comes in gold plated too if you just want the bling of gold. For much more than bare steel, but a lot less than real gold....new.

But from my Pelikan experience, with semi-vintage pens, of the '80-90's and in some cases early 2000s',400, 38x/39x, 2 Celebry pens (one with gold/one with steel), the gold and the steel nibs are equal.

I must have 7-8 pens from that era counting a W. Germany 200, a modern one, and a 215.

A used 400 costs no more or not much than a used 250....in the 250 (a black 200 with a 400's gold nib) is no longer made. The 400 is a slight tad better feeling. I'd expect a '90-98 400 to be had for 90-120 euro if you keep your eye out on Geramn Ebay and hunt for it.....impatience gets you screwed by Buy Now.

Can get a semi-flex 400nn for about that too. And if lucky one of them in Tortoise in that is not more expensive. Same with the '82-98 M400 the pen with out the little gold ring, tortoise if you are willing to wait are no more expensive than green stripped.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Regina Martini offers Pels with a variety of nib sizes. Spot the pen you want, then ask her if she still has one of the coveted nibs. The really popular stuff might be gone (I got an O3B before they were gone) but there are still a lot of options.

When Richard Binder was still in retail, he offered a way to purchase a Pelikan pen body without a nib, and then the nib separately. For instance: an M200 with an M400 nib. Now that he is no longer selling, I wonder if anyone else offers this option?

Any leads gratefully appreciated!

Nibs.com sells their M200's with gold nibs.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168