Favorite "knock-Around," "always-With-You" Pen

Gsak

120 or 150 Pelikan.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• Runnin_Ute

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My favorite pens (a Parker 51 and a few Waterman pens) all receive delicate treatment. The pens that I treat in a more casual way are:

• My Pilot Prera. This is a good, reliable little pen to carry around, and with its fine nib, I can write on cheap paper and even make notes in a book I am reading.
  • My Platinum Balance. This is the pen I dedicate to iron-gall ink. The cap insulates the pen very well, and I love iron-gall ink, so this pen is one I have with me a large proportion of the time.
  • My Kaweco Sport. This is the pen I take with me on those rare occasions when I travel overseas. It is cute looking but a disappointing writer and would otherwise see little use.

I carry it in a pen sleeve (coming down with a head cold... sleeve? slip? pen slot. Sheaf? Sheave? Gah, fricken congestion), but the one pen I always carry everywhere is a Nakaya Piccolo. For a few years, it was the unpolished shu, but since its arrival, it's been the kuro tamenuri. I typically carry more than one pen, though. But if it's only one, then it's a Piccolo.

Edit: Sheath. Sheesh.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Although I own only a safari, I try to treasure it as much as possible. It never actually leaves my studio. Whenever I am on the go, Jotter is there

Esterbrook J with a #2284 nib in red dubonet which I inherited from my Mom and on which FarmBoy replaced a broken jewel. It is always in my pocket and filled with BungBox First Love Sapphire. Writes like a dream. I'd be devistated if I ever lost it but it would be foolish to keep it locked in a safe.

Weekends...no shirt pocket? Kaweco sport classic, converted to eyedropper.

Weekdays, in shirt pocket or bag? Pilot Legance. This is also my subway Sudoku pen.

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

A clear Stipula Passaporto with the 0.9 italic nib filled with Edelstein Sapphire. Was so impressed with it I bought another one just in case it breaks, but the nib on the second one is no where near the first one for some reason.

The pen is very small but when posted it's quite comfortable and holds a lot of ink when used as an eyedropper filler.

Caran d'Ache Madison Bicolor. It's super slim design can sit alongside my wallet in my jeans front pocket without me even knowing it's there. Although it looks super lux, it's all metal construction is as solid as a tank. I wouldn't carry any of my high end plastic pens like I do the Madison. It goes everywhere with me.

http://store.carandache.com/ch-110-278-large/madison2-plume-bicolor-noir-agt-rh-f.jpg

I usually have 2 billion pens inked so any of them can end up coming with me, but if I am looking to toss something indestructible in my bag it is a Jinhao 599 or a Sheaffer school pen - see several posters above.

My Kaweco spsort and Pilot Prera are among my fancier pens...

Lanbitou mini pen. I've carried one in my standard leather billfold for years- both front and back pants pockets. Never a leaked drop in my pocket or on my cash. I bought a 20 pack and have given away more than a dozen. Today I popped it out to sign something -pen had not been used, flushed, inked, or even uncapped for three weeks. Started like a champ with no fuss or coaxing required. Sturdy all metal exterior and inexpensive enough that you never worry about losing it.

There never was a body that give the undertaker a tip.

Depends on the day.

Today? TWSBI 580 and Eco

Parker 45 and Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Lamy Safari. It's nearly indestructible and always starts right up.

+1 I have a LAMY Vista (a clear Safari), that went on an archeo dig in Arizona and a Peace Corps tour of duty in Costa Rica. I dug it up, by chance, from my flower bed, after it was chewed and buried by a fox terrier, six months prior. It looks a mess, but writes fine.

On the very cheap end, I would recommend a Jinhao x450. It is made of heavy brass tubing, and I don't hesitate to slip one into my back trouser pocket. As an old guy, a Parker 45 rides in my shirt pocket always.

For sheer neglect, nothing beats a Pilot Varsity.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Muji round aluminum fountain pen. Surprisingly tough for something so slim and dainty. Cap seals very well and resists dry-out better than most of my other pens. It's always with me wherever I go.