Favorite "knock-Around," "always-With-You" Pen

Gsak

During the past year my favorite "always around me" pen has been a red Pelikan M205 with F nib filled with Montblanc Permanent Blue. :wub:

Lately it's been accompanied by a Plum P51 with M nib and Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. :thumbup:

I like my P51 but it's always a pain to get the nib to line up properly when I'm screwing it back on

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• Runnin_Ute

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry a Kaweco AL Sport or Kaweco Brass Liliput. Both have leather sleeves.

fpn_1466009573__acquisitions01.jpg

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

To be sure to have something to write when needed, there is always a kaweco sport with pelikan blueblack and a platinum preppy with R&K salix in my jacket. When I think I need something, I also bring a kaweco dia 1 and a pelikan 200 with me. When I know I will be siting somewhere undisturbed, there will be a Delta Dolce Vita as well.

Parker 51 and Conway Stewart 87. They are much alike.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sheaffer Dollar Pens, later known just as the Sheaffer Cartridge Pen when inflation raised the price. Long out of production but readily available on eBay -- some are NOS. I have a lifetime supply for myself. They write well, too, though they may need some breaking in. Back when I smoked a pipe, I even used these to tamp the pipe;-) Failure modes under hard use: clips break off, metal parts rust, and the caps can get loose -- easily fixed with cheap pliers. In my youth I was very hard on nibs and these would last maybe three years in daily use compared to a few days for some competing brands. I don't think I ever managed to break the plastic parts. They do not come with converters but will work with them for you bottled purists;-)

Pilot Kakuno - M nib (X-Feather black ink)

Lamy Safari - F nib (Pelikan 4001 black)

Pilot Prera - M nib ( Diamine evergreen)

All of them are snap cap for fast use :)

Nanor, that is a >pretty< little pen... made that, eh? Very nice. Looks like something I'd buy.

Mine are a black Platinum 3776 F with Kon-Peki in it, and one or another Sheaffer School pen with whatever ink I'm likely to be drawing with at the time (currently DA Document Black or Lexington Gray). I'd miss the 3776 if I lost it and would probably buy another same day. The little school pens may be as likely to be given away as lost, and I'd fish another out of the box. GREAT little pens.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• 2 weeks later...

A TWISBI Vac 700 1.1 stub has been my "business trip/knock around" pen for a year or so. Usually full of Iroshizuku Kon-Peki, but lately Papier & Plume "Forest Green."

...So much ink, so little penmanship....

A beat-up but bulletproof Sheaffer Imperial III, various Sheaffer "school" pens (see Bob Hayden's post above), and a few Parker 25's. Any of these can take a beating and still perform well. I'll have one or more with me daily, plus the school pens are left lying around in various convenient places (car, workshop, jacket pockets, backpack).

Edit- I used to carry a Kaweco Sport. Only fountain pen I ever lost.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

A Pilot Custom (original unnumbered model from the 1970s) steel/black stripe with a fine nib (rather on the dry side), bought in well- used condition some years ago. And then there's a VP with a fine nib...

The Parker people are in agreement that my 51 couldn't be as it was when I bought it, so the 51s are out.

Waterman Phileas with an EF Waterman 18K nib. Might as well use good stuff.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I rotate my pens too frequently to have any one pen that is always on my person.

However, most of the time either my Omas Galileo or Pilot Custom 823 are in my shirt pocket. They take all the bumps and bruises my boring-guy lifestyle throws at them.

If I had a physical job, or rode a motorcycle or something, I'd probably consider a more "high speed impact with the ground resistant" pen, but these two have seen a few tumbles and are (some scratches aside) doing fine.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I use (rotate) all my pens so nothing is permanently or even semi-permanently inked. Therefore, I do not knock them around, I carry one or more with me from what is inked.

I claimed in another thread that there were 3-4 normally inked but self-observation shows more likely 5-7.

X