What Modern Japanese Eyedropper Pens Are There?

zerobuttons

The topic title says it all. I am aware of the Namiki Emperor, but are any other current Japanese pens made as eyedroppers (without the user converting it)?

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zerobuttons

• gerigo

• Algester

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your answers. Judging from this, I probably won´t find other eyedropper pens than the Namiki Emperor when in Japan in a few weeks from now. Both Danitrio and Eboya seem to be made to order, and regarding the Danitrio pens, I don´t have much interest in maki-e.

What would be the Japanese expression for an eyedropper pen?

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -

Pen photos

Danitrio also makes plain finish (without maki-e) eyedropper pens. You might want to have a look at those models.

This is what is personally feel, but I like the Namiki shut-off valve better than that of eboya and perhaps danitrio too.

Thank you for your answers. Judging from this, I probably won´t find other eyedropper pens than the Namiki Emperor when in Japan in a few weeks from now. Both Danitrio and Eboya seem to be made to order, and regarding the Danitrio pens, I don´t have much interest in maki-e.

if you mean the Japanese term for the eyedropper with shut off valve, it is インク止め式 (inku tome shiki).

Although I am guilty of having eye droppers from all 3 companies, and really enjoy using them, I would say eye droppers are affectations from a different age. It's quite troublesome and finnicky to fill and use.

If I am not mistaken the Japanese pen industry have gone for modern convenience which is the cartridge converter which is super easy to maintain and use. So it would be almost impossible to find Japanese eye droppers at any pen/ stationary store today. The exception being KItoya which would stock both the Danitrios and the Namikis on their 2nd floor.

I wouldn't be so sure. You should try emailing Eboya. I placed a custom order in advance, and then arranged to stop by the store (which is located next to the Nikko Ebonite Company) on a day they were open. They had around two dozen other (i.e. not made-to-order) pens available for purchase that day, including several eyedroppers. It's a very pleasant little neighborhood, and they are uber-friendly, so if they have some in stock, I'd say it's worth a trip! I believe they are open Wednesdays and Fridays from 1-6 pm.

Edited by sugna

Although I am guilty of having eye droppers from all 3 companies, and really enjoy using them, I would say eye droppers are affectations from a different age. It's quite troublesome and finnicky to fill and use.

If I am not mistaken the Japanese pen industry have gone for modern convenience which is the cartridge converter which is super easy to maintain and use. So it would be almost impossible to find Japanese eye droppers at any pen/ stationary store today. The exception being KItoya which would stock both the Danitrios and the Namikis on their 2nd floor.

Thanks for your instructive comments gerigo. Could you please explain why " It's quite troublesome and finnicky to fill and use" ?

All the best

Patrick

I disagree with gerigo on this. It's no trouble to fill and use an eyedropper. You just need a syringe or a cheap plastic eyedropper. And they have such a large ink capacity, you end up not filling them often. The only real disadvantages are 1) that they are more expensive to make and 2) that sometimes the ink shutoff mechanism is difficult to repair, if it starts to leak.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Thanks for your instructive comments gerigo. Could you please explain why " It's quite troublesome and finnicky to fill and use" ?

All the best

Patrick

I disagree with gerigo on this. It's no trouble to fill and use an eyedropper. You just need a syringe or a cheap plastic eyedropper. And they have such a large ink capacity, you end up not filling them often. The only real disadvantages are 1) that they are more expensive to make and 2) that sometimes the ink shutoff mechanism is difficult to repair, if it starts to leak.

I would add a third potential disadvantage based on my experience (which is limited to vintage Japanese eyedroppers): the tendency for a blob of ink to be discharged when you tighten down the shut-off mechanism when you're done writing. This has been more of an issue when the pen is quite full, and isn't a huge deal (I just always have a lint-free cloth ready) but something to think about.

Maybe it's my bad luck, but the eyedroppers from Eboya and Danitrio would leak because they are very sensitive to pressure and temperature changes unless you fill them absolutely to the brim, which I don't do. I had a lot of trouble when I was in a very hot and humid country and could not understand why they would leak, and burp all the time. Until I realize it was because of the very drastic changes in temperature between outdoors and indoors. And yes my pens go with me everywhere I go. I also travel a lot for work, and you have to be careful with safety eyedroppers. I think the only eye dropper that did not exhibit these problems was the Namiki. Because they also contain a large volume of ink, when they leak it's a bit of a disaster.

I was not referring to the filling of the pens at all. That is actually probably the most simple and elegant way of filling the pen. Not the most practical but there is a ritual to it that's quite lovely.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by gerigo

Again, thank you for all your answers. It´s new to me that Danitrio produces plain urushi pens, and that they are represented in the stores in Japan. I will look through the reviews here.

Pen photos

Sorry if I gave you the impression the plain urushi Danitrios are readily available at stores in Tokyo. Actually they are not, at least at the various Itoya's I visited while I was there. Itoya only stocks the more expensive maki-e Danitrios.

This is not to say they aren't available at other stationery stores in other parts of Japan. I would check the websites of the different stores to find out.

Again, thank you for all your answers. It´s new to me that Danitrio produces plain urushi pens, and that they are represented in the stores in Japan. I will look through the reviews here.

Maybe it's my bad luck, but the eyedroppers from Eboya and Danitrio would leak because they are very sensitive to pressure and temperature changes unless you fill them absolutely to the brim, which I don't do. I had a lot of trouble when I was in a very hot and humid country and could not understand why they would leak, and burp all the time. Until I realize it was because of the very drastic changes in temperature between outdoors and indoors. And yes my pens go with me everywhere I go. I also travel a lot for work, and you have to be careful with safety eyedroppers. I think the only eye dropper that did not exhibit these problems was the Namiki. Because they also contain a large volume of ink, when they leak it's a bit of a disaster.

I was not referring to the filling of the pens at all. That is actually probably the most simple and elegant way of filling the pen. Not the most practical but there is a ritual to it that's quite lovely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing your experience gerigo. I actually live in a hot and very humid country and just like you have also experienced leaking and burping with not one or two fountain pens but also with Parker roller ball pens (lovely roller ball pens by the way).

Weather conditions definitely have an harmful effect on some pens.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Patrick L

Sorry if I gave you the impression the plain urushi Danitrios are readily available at stores in Tokyo. Actually they are not, at least at the various Itoya's I visited while I was there. Itoya only stocks the more expensive maki-e Danitrios.

This is not to say they aren't available at other stationery stores in other parts of Japan. I would check the websites of the different stores to find out.

That wasn´t you, but probably my own wrongful combination of information in your message and that from Mew.

I´ll look around on websites, and ask around at stores when I´m there. Is there any specific employee one should ask for at Ito-ya, who speaks better English than others, after Watson has moved on? I know a little Japanese, but will certainly be more comfortable doing most of the conversation in English.

Pen photos

I have a Saito inkdome (Japanese eye dropper). It is a really nice writer but I find it is too difficult to use for the short bits of writing I do.

It always starts slow. The ink in the feed dries out when not in use and it takes time for fresh ink to flow into the feed. It is great for writing longer compositions, however.

I believed that the eyedropper with shut off valve was old-fashioned system, but now I have Eboya Kyoka that holds 6 ml ink and

I really enjoy it everyday.

I see that you are situated in Tokyo. Do any stores there have Eboya models like the Kyoka in stock?

Pen photos