Is There A High Quality Fp Priced Under $100?

Gsak

I'm currently using the Pilot Metro in both F & M (prefer the lines I've been getting with the F) and have been searching for my next pen. I love Japanese products, in general, and am looking to try to stay within the Big 3.

It seems that price points have a lot to do with the nib materials used. That's to say, once one makes the move up from stainless to gold/rhodium, the price skyrockets around 10x (ex. Pilot Metro versus Pilot Custom 74). Is there any middle ground or is that just a reality in price/materials that I need to work within?

In either case, what are your recommendations for a "next step up" pen within the big 3? Here's some criteria that I've been developing:

-F/EF nib

-I do enjoy some line variation (which I assume is harder to get as you get finer nibs?)

-Classic look (don't really want something too "trendy" that will go out of style - I've only purchased all black pilot metropolitans)

-Long-lasting materials (prefer metal or high quality resin)

-I have medium-sized hands, so not looking for massive pens. I also carry around my pen everywhere, so I want something that is sturdy, easily transportable, and that is easy to cap/uncap (without uncapping unexpectedly like I've heard about some of the lower-end Lamys)

Thank you so much for your help!

G

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gsak

• Leftytoo

• virgilio

• Kataphract

Yes there is middle ground - Pilot and Platinum have cheap ~$50 14k nib pens. The Pilot Celemo and the Platinum PTL-5000.

The increase in price is not justified, if we're talking about just material. Pen companies do it, because they know there are buyers :P

My recommendation would be the Platinum 3776. Comes in a variety of colours, there's a soft nib option (line variation yay), classic cigar shape, quality resin. As an added bonus, pretty too.

Hope I helped!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

If you are looking to stay under $100. You are going to have to look to directly buying from sources in Japan and accepting the possible risks that are associated with it; such as wait time, shipping time, possible issues when then pen arrives and having to deal with returns or exchanges internationally. If you are willing to accept those risks, then you can find many gold nib models such as the Pilot Celemo, Pilot Custom, Pilot Custom 98, Pilot Stella 90s, Pilot Custom 74, Pilot Custom Heritage 91, Pilot Elite 95S, Platinum Standard, Platinum 3776 Century, and Sailor Profit Standard (Aka 1911S, 1911M) with a variety of nib options.

Personally I haven't had any experience that is really negative buying from Japan directly.

Edited by zchen

Until you are ready to spend a good bit more than $100, there is a lot to be said for staying with your reliable Metropolitan. There is nothing particularly magical about a gold nib per se.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Until you are ready to spend a good bit more than $100, there is a lot to be said for staying with your reliable Metropolitan. There is nothing particularly magical about a gold nib per se.

Good point, though, after trying several gold nibs, I do like the additional flex I get with even a non-soft gold nib.

If you are looking to stay under $100. You are going to have to look to directly buying from sources in Japan and accepting the possible risks that are associated with it; such as wait time, shipping time, possible issues when then pen arrives and having to deal with returns or exchanges internationally. If you are willing to accept those risks, then you can find many gold nib models such as the Pilot Celemo, Pilot Custom, Pilot Custom 98, Pilot Stella 90s, Pilot Custom 74, Pilot Custom Heritage 91, Pilot Elite 95S, Platinum Standard, Platinum 3776 Century, and Sailor Profit Standard (Aka 1911S, 1911M) with a variety of nib options.

Personally I haven't had any experience that is really negative buying from Japan directly.

Yeah, looks that way. It's like we're paying a 50% premium for gold nibs in the us. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone looking to sell online only for 30-40% margin!

As the above, there is nothing so great about going for a gold nib compared to a steel nib.

You mention that you would like some line variation and preferably a metal pen, so the Pilot Custom 74 with a soft fine(SF) nib is perhaps the best you'll get for the price. There is also the Platinum 3776 with SF nib in bourgogne(burgundy) or chartres blue which looks prettier than the Custom 74 but the nib is not so soft

Sadly, there are no metal Japanese pens under $100 that I'm aware of other than the Metropolitan.

You can pick up a Custom 74 or a Platinum 3776 on Amazon or eBay for around $70-80

Edited by Bluey

Go vintage!

There are many high quality fountain pens to be had from Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor to be had.

Check eBay listings regularly.

Visit Yahoo Japan. Search mannenhitsu (万年筆).

You will need a proxy service such as Shopping Mall Japan or others.

Guess you should add 20% to cost for fees and shipping.

Yeah. There is a slight gamble. No worse than eBay except return is impossible.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I much prefer the gold Pilot nibs to steel ones, and you can get a Custom 74 from places like j-subculture for well under $100.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

Good point, though, after trying several gold nibs, I do like the additional flex I get with even a non-soft gold nib.

I would like to suggest that you lighten up on your hand.

If you are flexing a hard gold nib, you are pressing down on the pen TOO HARD.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 months later...

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

I would like to suggest that you lighten up on your hand.

If you are flexing a hard gold nib, you are pressing down on the pen TOO HARD.

I have to agree with this.....

I just picked up a 3776 Century (bourgogne) on Amazon from a Japanese seller. Price shipped with converter I had to buy separate? About $80. Sure it has been about 10 days now, and the estimate on arriving is December 13 out to about January 9, 2017.... I am hoping it will arrive closer to the short end (or sooner).

My Metropolitan is an M and I think one of the reasons I don't use it more is how fine it is. I am used to western nibs. So I bought a B..... assuming that the Goulet Nib Nook and other things are accurate, that would be like a western Medium. And that works for me. (I have from EF to stub)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Any nib will flex once. Modern gold nibs generally should not be flexed at all.

I would have to agree with several others: If you want a nice gold-nibbed pen, you either have to look to Japanese sellers on eBay or Amazon (just as a couple examples), or the classified page. The Platinum 3776 Century, Pilot Custom 74, and Sailor 1911M are all in the sub-$100 range. I'm a fan of the Pilot soft fine nib, but I also love the basic fine on the Platinum 3776 range. Both are outstanding. The Platinum soft fine has never really worked that well for me. I've owned three, and I found them to be more like a dry, spongy-feeling extra fine. The good news is quality control is generally pretty high with all three of these manufacturers. It is rare you would get a pen than needs to have any sort of adjustment.

Sorry, I should have used the term "springy-ness" instead of flex. Sorry for confusion. I like the springy feel of gold nibs versus rigid ss but pocket carry ss since I'm a bit harsher on my workhorse pens. And also I can't find a good short lightweight demonstrator FP with a gold nib.

The only pen I have ever found that wrote really well out of the box, wet and smooth, and that was pretty cheap, was a Rotring. Even it benefitted from a little nib work tho. Alas, it was much too heavy for me to ever use with comfort.

The fountain pen market is probably too small to reliably follow the old adage: "You get what you pay for." Or at any rate that is definitely true in the US. Instead, it's just a matter of luck. There are lots and lots of VERY expensive fountain pens that write very badly out of the box.

I don't own a Kaweco Dia 2, but I have seen consistant good reviews. Very classic styling.I believe it has brass in its body giving it some heft. The small Kaweco Sports I've owned all had nice smooth nibs and quality, robust construction. Order an EF. They cost about $95 on ebay. A nice feature is the nib/feed assembly unscrews and thus you can have more than one nib, and the replacement nibs are reasonably priced.

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

I always get mine with Amazon Prime. $78 for my latest, Pilot Custom Heritage 91 SF (converter is additional). No extended wait, if anything is wrong, easy return. Yes, you can shave a few dollars off by having it shipped from Japan at the cost of a longer wait and more difficulty if there is a problem.